BigFooty Official 2017 Big Footy Phantom Draft .....Trial Run (Starts Monday 9am)

Remove this Banner Ad

Sutherland chooses cricket

Disappointing :( but if he is that talented that he is on the trajectory to play for Australia then you can understand the decision.

Last edited:
Pick 84 Richmond: Joel Amartey

Ruckman (Mentone Grammar/Sandringham Dragons)
02/09/1999 | 195cm | 85kg

Amartey is the only other ruckman I'd draft in the National Draft other than Sam Hayes.

He presents one of the biggest upsides in the 2017 draft pool, recently converting from high level basketball to pursue AFL (at least for the time being).

Amartey has an eye-catching leap which he shows off in the ruck contests and has improved dramatically across the year. Amartey has impressed at school level and for the Sandy Dragons -- and even was reasonable in the Vic Metro trial booting two goals.

Up forward he often has the tendency to run under the ball but this is something that I think he can easily work on with heavy coaching at the next level. He can find the ball around the ground and his marking is improving each week.

What made him standout on Saturday for the Sandy Dragons was his contested mark midway through the last quarter and he slotted the goal with ease. Moments like this screamed AFL talent and the potential Amartey has means he's well worth a 2 year contract on an AFL list and a 'steal' for me at Pick 84.

Last edited:
Pick 85- Melbourne Demons FC:
Cole Gerloff- 184cm/83kg. South Australia/Norwood/PAC. Midfielder

When you say natural footballer, what springs to my mind is South Australia’s Cole Gerloff. A ball winning midfielder, with so much class and composure.
Cole is strong bodied midfielder, rarely tackled to ground (strong through his legs), clean at ground level, wins his own ball and one of the best handballers for his age I have seen in a long time, especially in traffic and the contest.
I have watched a lot of him at school level this year and to me he looks the most classiest, composed and easy watching midfielder in the school level comp, without doubt. 100% at school level Cole is SA’s best midfielder.
The knocks on him, is that he is a touch slow and not an efficient runner. Which is probably going to be his undoing to reach the next level. For mine he does move from contest to contest well but his pace, and running ability does let him down at times. There are also a few little efficient things he can work on but his running ability is his main fault.

Some stats to back me up
SANFL u18 level playing 4 games this season due to school football duties:
Cole is averaging 32 disposals, 6 tackles and 6 clearances a game.
SANFL Reserves Senior level (he has played in these school holidays) in his 3 games, he is averaging 15 touches, 5 tackles and 5 clearances a game.

I feel he was so very stiff not to get a game in the u18 Championship this year (doesn’t help SA had so many same type midfielders in the squad)
In a last ditch effort the weekend before the last team announcement of the champs... Cole racked up 44 disposals, 28 kicks, 6 tackles and 10 clearances = 174 rankings points, which was still not enough for sticks to pick him.
I feel if a club gets Cole this season you’re not only getting a very naturally gifted footballer but your getting a great young man with plenty of off field qualities and on fielder leadership skills. A real gem this guy.

Last edited:
Pick 87 - Geelong - Charlie Thompson - Oakleigh Chargers
183cm 80kg 15/03/99

Thompson provides a lot of spark with his toughness and speed, he is a consistent player who stays involved all game through the midfield. Thompson has a lot of power and a decent burst of speed many times he would attack the ball and leave the opposition in his wake. Thompson plays hard and fast but he also stays composed and pick the right options. Lately he has proven he can be dangerous around goal and he oozes leadership.

Reasons

Ive gone best available here, this guy is a personal favorite for me in this draft, He just does alot of things right and i like players who play tough attacking footy and do it consistently and his ability to also hit the scoreboard makes him very draftable imo.

Snoop Dog

Last edited:
My write ups for my picks,
Jonty Scharenberg and Cole Gerloff have been edited and written up in the posts! Think I'm all up to date now. Sorry about it being so late

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 66 Richmond - Aiden Bonar

Balanced Midfielder/Medium Utility (Haileybury College/Dandenong Stingrays)
08/03/1999 | 190cm | 89kg

Don't think anyone here has mentioned him, but another player I'd have inside 50 draft wise.

Coming off two ACLs in 3 seasons he's played very little, but his vision at Haileybury College has been promising and no doubt clubs will be watching him closely when he plays his first game in about 12 months on Saturday for Dandenong Stingrays.

He's a big frame and tackles hard & has been working towards his debut for a long time with a lot of rehab. He looks like an 'animal' with his strong frame and watching him run around for Haileybury as their runner - you can see he's a been hitting the gym.

His teammates at Dandenong & Haileybury say he is one of the best players they've even played with or against -- and that's good enough for me at Pick 66.
How did he play?

Carlton - Pick 90 - Ben Miller

Getting this far down in the drafting order, I am picking some rough prospects here. Miller beat CJC in the ruck the day I watched him, has some lovely hands when rucking and looks solid as a forward. He is obviously too short to be a first choice ruck at AFL level, but if he can develop his forward craft and pinch hit in the ruck, I could see him have an outside chance at making it at AFL level.

I did not mind his forward work at the champs, has some nice agility for his height. Just not sure about his athletic ability, so that will really determine if he can make it at the next level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back