Competitions 2017 Board elections - Congratulations Sean Wellman and Katie Lio!

Remove this Banner Ad

People have put their lives on hold, and put in back breaking work in order to get this right - and they do it often when people don't give a s**t about their efforts.
They certainly have. Being on a board of directors would definitely impact on your life, but it also comes with some pretty decent perks. Katie really seems to enjoy those.

I wouldn't call being on the EFC board much of a chore, the opportunity of being part of the greatest AFL club wouldn't be overly hard but in saying that we do need to have board members with suitable skills, experience and qualifications.

I don't think anyone can deny how hard the current board has worked.

Equally I don't think anyone can claim there is no perks or rewards to the board for that work without their nose reflecting pinnochio

This club has gone through absolute hell, and it is only due to the efforts of hard working people like Paul Cousins that we have come out the other side.

This hasn't happened by accident, it has taken a concerted effort by our Board and Executive, often unpaid, volunteering time and resources to rebuild what was a shattered club.

Paul has sat on our Risk and Audit committee, and has taken personal responsibility for restructuring and validating the processes that we as a club got so wrong in the past.

I want you to really consider that for a second. He has made himself personally responsible for correcting an issue that nearly killed this club. You and I can talk, complain, cheer - but in reality we offered our support and nothing more. Paul stood up, and DID.

We cried out as a membership to have our club back, to have our love of the game back - and we have it. We have, once again, a MIGHTY Essendon Football Club, an absolute powerhouse in Australian sport, and we have it because Paul and others put in back-breaking work to claw our way, inch by inch, out of the mud.

You may have noticed, that more often than not Directors of football clubs tend to be established, senior members. As an unpaid role, Directorship is obviously well suited to those among us that are able to forego the 9 to 5, that are comfortable financially - and that is fantastic in a lot of cases, it allows us to draw on the expertise of smart and passionate people such as Andrew Muir and Lindsay Tanner.

Paul is a relatively young man, who established his own business and still works, day in, day out to provide for his family.

Can you imagine doing that? Taking on not only the responsibility for your day to day work, but on top of that standing up and taking responsibility for your football club. That is a monumental effort, one well beyond me. But Paul has done it, and continues to do so because he wanted to help resurrect the Essendon Football Club.

And the funny thing is, you don't have to guess, or speculate, as to whether that resurrection has worked. You can see it, tangibly, measurably in front of you.

Our club is smashing its membership record. We are financially obliterating most of the league, we have talented, young players clamoring to play for us.

MIGHTY isn't just a word, we are exactly that, and we've gotten there because people like Paul have taken on the thankless task of guiding us there. Moreover, he's done it without asking for thanks, and by being as accessible as any Director at any club in the history of this game.

Our Board is strong, united and driven to succeed. They have appointed a powerful and performing Executive team, and they are continuing to deliver improvement at an astronomical rate.

I know that my fellow members can FEEL the resurgence at our club. And you can be damn sure the rest of the league feels it too.

Back our incumbent members. Thank them for their extraordinary work in the only way that really matters, your vote.

I urge my fellow members to re-elect Paul Cousins to the Board of Directors, let him continue to deliver extraordinary results for our club.

They certainly have. Being on a board of directors would definitely impact on your life, but it also comes with some pretty decent perks. Katie really seems to enjoy those.

I don't think you can say she's the only director who enjoys the perks of the role. Who wouldn't? Also Katie has been very open that she was the new kid on the block initially however you can't ignore she's been a part of a very successful board these past 3 years and clearly she's doing all the right things.

I'd be more cautious of people who want to get on the board for their own interests that have potential for disharmony as opposed to those helping it right now.

All the best with your vote.

This club has gone through absolute hell, and it is only due to the efforts of hard working people like Paul Cousins that we have come out the other side.

This hasn't happened by accident, it has taken a concerted effort by our Board and Executive, often unpaid, volunteering time and resources to rebuild what was a shattered club.

Paul has sat on our Risk and Audit committee, and has taken personal responsibility for restructuring and validating the processes that we as a club got so wrong in the past.

I want you to really consider that for a second. He has made himself personally responsible for correcting an issue that nearly killed this club. You and I can talk, complain, cheer - but in reality we offered our support and nothing more. Paul stood up, and DID.

We cried out as a membership to have our club back, to have our love of the game back - and we have it. We have, once again, a MIGHTY Essendon Football Club, an absolute powerhouse in Australian sport, and we have it because Paul and others put in back-breaking work to claw our way, inch by inch, out of the mud.

You may have noticed, that more often than not Directors of football clubs tend to be established, senior members. As an unpaid role, Directorship is obviously well suited to those among us that are able to forego the 9 to 5, that are comfortable financially - and that is fantastic in a lot of cases, it allows us to draw on the expertise of smart and passionate people such as Andrew Muir and Lindsay Tanner.

Paul is a relatively young man, who established his own business and still works, day in, day out to provide for his family.

Can you imagine doing that? Taking on not only the responsibility for your day to day work, but on top of that standing up and taking responsibility for your football club. That is a monumental effort, one well beyond me. But Paul has done it, and continues to do so because he wanted to help resurrect the Essendon Football Club.

And the funny thing is, you don't have to guess, or speculate, as to whether that resurrection has worked. You can see it, tangibly, measurably in front of you.

Our club is smashing its membership record. We are financially obliterating most of the league, we have talented, young players clamoring to play for us.

MIGHTY isn't just a word, we are exactly that, and we've gotten there because people like Paul have taken on the thankless task of guiding us there. Moreover, he's done it without asking for thanks, and by being as accessible as any Director at any club in the history of this game.

Our Board is strong, united and driven to succeed. They have appointed a powerful and performing Executive team, and they are continuing to deliver improvement at an astronomical rate.

I know that my fellow members can FEEL the resurgence at our club. And you can be damn sure the rest of the league feels it too.

Back our incumbent members. Thank them for their extraordinary work in the only way that really matters, your vote.

I urge my fellow members to re-elect Paul Cousins to the Board of Directors, let him continue to deliver extraordinary results for our club.
Read it as Paul Connors. I guess he has helped us recently as well ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t you need to state your full name when in a political ad? You know the ...”written and spoken by Jade Cousins on behalf of Paul......yada yada yada”

Don’t you need to state your full name when in a political ad? You know the ...”written and spoken by Jade Cousins on behalf of Paul......yada yada yada”

Written and spoken by the sexiest bitch on the inter webs...

So I voted. It doesn’t require an essay. I voted and we move on.

Regardless of who I voted for, whoever ultimately gets the nod, I’m sure the club will be in good hands.

It is curious how that no candidates stood against the incumbents in 2016 - Interesting to see the reasons why there a number of candidates in 2017 ? Could it be the Board is a better pace to be, could it be the candidates feel the two members up for re-election are beatable, could it be the candidates feel they are filling specific skills missing from the board or could it be a combination of circumstances - Believe the club should announce the name of the nominated candidate before the election, to help guide candidates in their voting.

It is curious how that no candidates stood against the incumbents in 2016 - Interesting to see the reasons why there a number of candidates in 2017 ? Could it be the Board is a better pace to be, could it be the candidates feel the two members up for re-election are beatable, could it be the candidates feel they are filling specific skills missing from the board or could it be a combination of circumstances - Believe the club should announce the name of the nominated candidate before the election, to help guide candidates in their voting.

I wondered the same but found myself being cynical in thinking that the job of being on the Essendon board looks more attractive now than it did in 2016 although it is possible that back in 2016 the club made the point behind closed doors of advising would be candidates to back off.

On paper I wouldn't call either Lio or Cousins weak candidates (my word, not yours) and from the vibe of here and at the Blitz would indicate that both are well supported but then again I don't know what percentage of Essendon members visit here or the Blitz or how representative the people that do comment on forums are of general member feelings.

I take great issue with wealthy individuals who have most definitely helped the club out in the hard times, now putting up their hand to be on the board. Just doesn't sit well with me.

Just reeks of putting up your hand for a role when things are starting to go well. Its not like we have been out of it for awhile either. This will be the first year that we go into a season as a normal football club after a normal pre season.
Boom, the hands go up to be included.
It might be just the optics of it that im taking issue with (which is hilarious given the past 5 years) and im sure these people aren't bad candidates, id just like to see the current board "rewarded" after guiding us through the mud to maybe have a bit of time in clear water to show what they can do.

I take great issue with wealthy individuals who have most definitely helped the club out in the hard times, now putting up their hand to be on the board. Just doesn't sit well with me.

Just reeks of putting up your hand for a role when things are starting to go well. Its not like we have been out of it for awhile either. This will be the first year that we go into a season as a normal football club after a normal pre season.
Boom, the hands go up to be included.
It might be just the optics of it that im taking issue with (which is hilarious given the past 5 years) and im sure these people aren't bad candidates, id just like to see the current board "rewarded" after guiding us through the mud to maybe have a bit of time in clear water to show what they can do.

Agree - I checked one candidates facebook profile and my goodness, don't they love the finer things in life.
The photos read like an episode of the Rich and the Famous (1980's reference if you're too young to get that).

You can't help but wonder if being a board member to them is just another feather in their already feather covered cap designed to simply make them look very important indeed.

Agree - I checked one candidates facebook profile and my goodness, don't they love the finer things in life.
The photos read like an episode of the Rich and the Famous (1980's reference if you're too young to get that).

You can't help but wonder if being a board member to them is just another feather in their already feather covered cap designed to simply make them look very important indeed.

A pertinent question.

Wealthy individuals have always, and will always have a presence on the Board. And rightfully so too - they often have tremendous skill sets and experience that can benefit the club.

However we have a Melbourne Cup field now when the club looks in ridiculously good shape AND the incumbents look beatable. How strange... didn’t see them running against Simon Madden.

What a lovely time to be on the Board now - clear waters as it were...

I’ll take the people that still worked 40-50 hrs a week, AND put their hands up when the club was in the s**t.

Last edited:

Didn't think to check facebook profiles so I'm curious who was it? there initials will be ample

It's easy to be cynical about these things, but I don't think it's particularly fair to conclude that people are only running when they are because things are now better.

These people all have jobs and lives outside being a board member (or potential board member in the case of the non-incumbents) and it could well be that they simply weren't in a position to run earlier than they did, for any number of reasons.

Not that I'm saying it's impossible that people might hunt for 'glory hunting' reasons either, but I think you need to strike a balance between over cynicism and being blind to these possibilities.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back