Competitions 2017 Board elections - Congratulations Sean Wellman and Katie Lio!

Remove this Banner Ad

Powerful coterie chief pushes for seat on Essendon Bombers board
The president of Essendon's most powerful coterie group is pushing for a seat on the club's board, declaring there is work to be done to improve "inclusiveness and communication" and ensure the Bombers become a "true destination club".

Dr Peter Hughes, the president of the Essendonians, revealed to Fairfax Media on Wednesday that he was running for election. Nominations opened this week.
----
'Despite our progress, we have still not won a final in recent years, we do not have an AFLW licence, we have a major redevelopment project to fund and implement and we still need to keep growing our membership base and our ability to attract new streams of revenue and capital raising.'
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/essend...n-essendon-bombers-board-20171108-gzh3xp.html

So electing Dr Hughes will help us win a final, get an AFLW team quicker, better pay for and implement the Tulla expansion, keep growing the membership base and bring in more money?

So Mr Hughes...

'Despite our progress, we have still not won a final in recent years,

And as a Director, what could you possibly have done to have changed this in the past few years?

In fact, as a Director, unless you are specifically involved in the list management committee, your influence over football matters is effectively non-existent.

we do not have an AFLW licence,

We didn't apply for one earlier for a reason.

we have a major redevelopment project to fund and implement

Funding which is being sort (successfully) by the existing Board, building on an already incredibly impressive recovery overseen by this Board.

and we still need to keep growing our membership base and

Record levels right now, will likely be so again in 2018.

our ability to attract new streams of revenue and capital raising.'

Specifically stated by the CEO, at the direction of the current Board.

You offer no point of difference sir. It's as if you've said 'everything is going great, but how bout I sit in the seat while things are going great...'.

So club is moving in right direction (actively working towards each of things he mentions) and he just wants to be able to attach his name to it when we do achieve these things?

Pass.

Gauci might be an able administrator but I don't see any reason to kick out any of the current lot given the position the club is in under their watch.

The same applies to that Hughes bloke but in addition I feel that coterie types should be kept far far away from the operations of the club. This bloke sounds like those Focus On Football idiots that tried to hijack Richmond last year.

It's always pleasing when we have people put up their hand to be part of the board - A member club can't only rely only on appointed board members.
I believe the constitution takes care of that. Some are appointed, some are voted?

"54. The business and affairs of the Club will be managed by a Board which will consist of between nine and ten Directors, constituted by not more than six Elected Directors, and not more than three Appointed Directors and an executive officer if appointed as a Director under clause 71."
http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL Tenant/Essendon/Images/EssendonFC-Constitution-Dec-11.pdf

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Safe to say Katie Lio and Paul Cousins will both be back on the board, not sure about Dr Hughes though, does he have any qualifications related to running an organisation as large and far-reaching as a footy club? Or is he just a supporter trying to big-note himself?

Safe to say Katie Lio and Paul Cousins will both be back on the board, not sure about Dr Hughes though, does he have any qualifications related to running an organisation as large and far-reaching as a footy club? Or is he just a supporter trying to big-note himself?

LOL.

*Edit*

Sorry Weevz, not trying to be a dick.

Board elections attract a plethora of people that like themselves very much.

Seems like a nice guy who wants to do best by the football club.

the second one, probably

You’re the thinking mans fisher Bonce, I like that...
Not really. I haven't read anything he's said so far that screams out he'd be terrible on the board.

Not really. I haven't read anything he's said so far that screams out he'd be terrible on the board.

Has he said anything that means he should be on there though?

Spouting off what we haven't achieved and what we need to accomplish isn't exactly a reason he should even be looked at, anyone here could (and does) do that.
Now if he has plans of how to accomplish this and what he brings to the table In executing those plans, then you have something.
So far I don't believe this information has been provided?

Has he said anything that means he should be on there though?
Nope but to be honest I'm not invested one way or the other. Simply stating so far he's said nothing that screams to me we should absolutely 100% not want him there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back