2017 Brisbane Lions Fan Forum

Remove this Banner Ad

It was quite an intimate affair, with about 9 in attendance in the board room, quite an honour and a bit weird. I loved that we were invited and their were reportedly about half as many as expected.
We got quite a good presentation and run down on the new facilities from Jake who is a major projects planner from AFL/AFLQ. My guess is that because some of the content is still confidential and no official announcement can be made just yet, we were a bit of a test audience. Other 'fans' in attendance were people who are quite devoted to the club (a few who regularly attend training and NEAFL games, involved in Women of the Pride, and sometimes have a few players around for dinner), so these were people quite dedicated to the Lions. Made me wonder a bit about why I was there.:p

It wasn't really spelt out how much was confidential regarding the facilities, but much of it has been discussed in length before and I guess it was confirmation of what many knew and others suspect. Jake sold it really well and clarified just how the new location was arrived at over others. What will be built in terms of fields alone rules out so many of the suggestions thrown up around Brisbane. We were given the written proposal to read through (didn't have my glasses and we were busy talking, so I just skimmed through). These were collected back at the end, hence I am not sure how much can be shared. Maybe Lions_Insider can give us a bit of a heads up.

They are expecting to be able to make an announcement within the next couple of months and are quite confident regarding funding. The aim is a $70million facility, which will be by far the most elite in the league, with great potential for commercial revenue streams. If it comes off as presented/planned, it will set us up for a long time. The players have been consulted at length and despite some supporters' fears that the location might not be attractive, I get the impression that it could well have played a part in a lot of guys re-signing and being excited for our future.

There was discussion on branding and match day experience. This year's catch phrase, "All for one" is planned to remain, instead of the previous approach of changing each. Something we can hang our hat on and be part of our identity, instead of an ever changing slogan. I like it, and I like the idea of having a permanent 'motto'. Brief discussion on the introduction of a second camera at games (the ones used by the Club to involve the crowd) so they can capture more sections of the Gabba and provide wider interaction. Also looking at ways to improve the match day experience for adults. The activities in Lion Park cater well to the kids, but want to give the grown ups more to enjoy and be involved with, outside the ground, pre-game. An 'Eat Street' type arrangement is one thing being looked at, with food stalls and bars to provide interest and a festivally feel rather than just rocking up for a game or filling the surrounding pubs.

Talk was then about the website and social media. Mostly looking for feedback, which is mostly positive. Some criticism of the website and the difficulties of navigating and finding information. I think that would be a common complaint of most large organisations, so I don't think it reflects too poorly on the club. Anthony (the new comms manager) confirmed the club controls it's own content, in case some believe the AFL dictates. There are obviously some restrictions, mostly related to commercial agreements, but content is decided by the Lions. There will be an effort to provide more written articles, to balance out the video content. While everyone enjoys the videos and interviews, there has been feedback that people also want to read articles and this should increase.

Aside from the official talks, I spoke briefly with one of the ladies I know through twitter, who is closely involved with the club and frequently has a few of the players and their partners around for meals. She confirmed that they are so much happier this year, and excited for the future. It's a new club with a new feel about the place. Good times.

Absolutely top notch write up Skoob . Covered everything in detail, in future I wont need to go and can just read your report.

I was anti Springfield, Jake was impressive and he turned me around, I'm on the Springfield train now.

Absolutely top notch write up Skoob . Covered everything in detail, in future I wont need to go and can just read your report.

I was anti Springfield, Jake was impressive and he turned me around, I'm on the Springfield train now.

481380.jpg

I am not on the Springfield train. Never will be and firmly believe (despite what they have told you last night) that in years to come, they will be back to Brisbane where they should be once they realise it was a mistake. Reminds me of exactly what StKilda have just experienced with Seaford. (Sorry for the negativity on this subject)

I am not on the Springfield train. Never will be and firmly believe (despite what they have told you last night) that in years to come, they will be back to Brisbane where they should be once they realise it was a mistake. Reminds me of exactly what StKilda have just experienced with Seaford. (Sorry for the negativity on this subject)

You're entitled to think that, but what would you have the club do? The players are 100% behind the facilities in Springfield and are all keen for it to get done. It has also helped with re-signings.

If the club decided against the move on the off chance the players decide down the track they hate it would mean no facilities would ever get built.

You're entitled to think that, but what would you have the club do? The players are 100% behind the facilities in Springfield and are all keen for it to get done. It has also helped with re-signings.

If the club decided against the move on the off chance the players decide down the track they hate it would mean no facilities would ever get built.
ALL players are NOT 100% behind the facilities. Who told you that BS?

Seaford was mentioned by one of the attendees and Jake explained in detail why Springfield/Seaford is not comparable. eg. distance, $$$ spend proposal, location. I spoke to a couple in the lift on the way out and they were both staunchly anti Springfield and were also turned around.

There is literally no suitable site in Brisbane for what they want to build, multiple sites in Brisbane were looked at in detail.

The players and particularly the leadership group have been involved in the process.

ALL players are NOT 100% behind the facilities. Who told you that BS?

Sigh, I mean the playing group is behind it - sure there may be a few individuals not keen on the move, but everything I've heard from both people in the club and players themselves they're very positive about the move.

Oh, what was I thinking, why did I open that door of opportunity for more Simpsons references.

Prepare for derailment.

You mean like this?

200px-North_Haverbrook_8.png

I'll show myself out.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

70mil sounds very similar to the original Springfield proposal.
Does it appear to be one in the same?
Did they show plans?
I believe the original plan was around 70mil
But they were going to do it in a couple of stages.
Are they planning one stage or 2 this time around.

It was quite an intimate affair, with about 9 in attendance in the board room, quite an honour and a bit weird. I loved that we were invited and their were reportedly about half as many as expected.
We got quite a good presentation and run down on the new facilities from Jake who is a major projects planner from AFL/AFLQ. My guess is that because some of the content is still confidential and no official announcement can be made just yet, we were a bit of a test audience. Other 'fans' in attendance were people who are quite devoted to the club (a few who regularly attend training and NEAFL games, involved in Women of the Pride, and sometimes have a few players around for dinner), so these were people quite dedicated to the Lions. Made me wonder a bit about why I was there.:p

It wasn't really spelt out how much was confidential regarding the facilities, but much of it has been discussed in length before and I guess it was confirmation of what many knew and others suspect. Jake sold it really well and clarified just how the new location was arrived at over others. What will be built in terms of fields alone rules out so many of the suggestions thrown up around Brisbane. We were given the written proposal to read through (didn't have my glasses and we were busy talking, so I just skimmed through). These were collected back at the end, hence I am not sure how much can be shared. Maybe Lions_Insider can give us a bit of a heads up.

They are expecting to be able to make an announcement within the next couple of months and are quite confident regarding funding. The aim is a $70million facility, which will be by far the most elite in the league, with great potential for commercial revenue streams. If it comes off as presented/planned, it will set us up for a long time. The players have been consulted at length and despite some supporters' fears that the location might not be attractive, I get the impression that it could well have played a part in a lot of guys re-signing and being excited for our future.

There was discussion on branding and match day experience. This year's catch phrase, "All for one" is planned to remain, instead of the previous approach of changing each. Something we can hang our hat on and be part of our identity, instead of an ever changing slogan. I like it, and I like the idea of having a permanent 'motto'. Brief discussion on the introduction of a second camera at games (the ones used by the Club to involve the crowd) so they can capture more sections of the Gabba and provide wider interaction. Also looking at ways to improve the match day experience for adults. The activities in Lion Park cater well to the kids, but want to give the grown ups more to enjoy and be involved with, outside the ground, pre-game. An 'Eat Street' type arrangement is one thing being looked at, with food stalls and bars to provide interest and a festivally feel rather than just rocking up for a game or filling the surrounding pubs.

Talk was then about the website and social media. Mostly looking for feedback, which is mostly positive. Some criticism of the website and the difficulties of navigating and finding information. I think that would be a common complaint of most large organisations, so I don't think it reflects too poorly on the club. Anthony (the new comms manager) confirmed the club controls it's own content, in case some believe the AFL dictates. There are obviously some restrictions, mostly related to commercial agreements, but content is decided by the Lions. There will be an effort to provide more written articles, to balance out the video content. While everyone enjoys the videos and interviews, there has been feedback that people also want to read articles and this should increase.

Aside from the official talks, I spoke briefly with one of the ladies I know through twitter, who is closely involved with the club and frequently has a few of the players and their partners around for meals. She confirmed that they are so much happier this year, and excited for the future. It's a new club with a new feel about the place. Good times.

An 'Eat Street' type arrangement is one thing being looked at, with food stalls and bars to provide interest and a festivally feel rather than just rocking up for a game or filling the surrounding pubs.

This is a good idea, speaking as someone who largely attended the GWS v Swans game on the weekend to get dinner. :oops:

Seaford was mentioned by one of the attendees and Jake explained in detail why Springfield/Seaford is not comparable. eg. distance, $$$ spend proposal, location. I spoke to a couple in the lift on the way out and they were both staunchly anti Springfield and were also turned around.

There is literally no suitable site in Brisbane for what they want to build, multiple sites in Brisbane were looked at in detail.

The players and particularly the leadership group have been involved in the process.
Correct Jason. Players & leadership group have definitely been involved in the process. Players & the leadership group have also voiced their concerns with regards to moving out to Springfield which have been noted however the other benefits with the move have outweighed the players (& the leadership group) concerns. That's part of the process that should have happened and very glad it did so accordingly. In saying that, I am resigned to us moving to Springfield & understand why we are doing so however... think that longer term its a mistake. In all committee's/board meetings, you talk about the pro's & cons of any subject, then the appropriate people vote. That vote (regardless of whether you agree or disagree at voting time) is one that EVERYONE then gets behind and supports. Just an opinion & one that we are all entitled to have.

You would not expect "all players" to be 100% behind the proposals FWG. Very hard to get a unanimous decision from 48 young men on anything.
Very hard to get a unanimous decision regardless of how many peeps are involved but its critical that EVERYONE are united on the decision once made, hence the players & leadership group outwardly supporting the decision.

The aim is a $70million facility, which will be by far the most elite in the league, with great potential for commercial revenue streams.
I'm still not 100% sold on the location but wow, that does sound like a fantastic idea - especially with the potential for commercial revenue streams - unlike certain Victorian powerhouse clubs we don't seem to have a string of pubs and investments that bring in income, so I'm really glad that the club is looking to correct this.

An 'Eat Street' type arrangement is one thing being looked at, with food stalls and bars to provide interest and a festivally feel rather than just rocking up for a game or filling the surrounding pubs.
Also a super idea - I'm sick and tired of the same old stupidly overpriced scalding hot pies and dried out hotdogs and chicken strips with questionable bumps in the crumbed coating. Give me food trucks and stalls and a NEAFL opener and we'll be there for it all.

Some criticism of the website and the difficulties of navigating and finding information. I think that would be a common complaint of most large organisations, so I don't think it reflects too poorly on the club. Anthony (the new comms manager) confirmed the club controls it's own content, in case some believe the AFL dictates. There are obviously some restrictions, mostly related to commercial agreements, but content is decided by the Lions. There will be an effort to provide more written articles, to balance out the video content. While everyone enjoys the videos and interviews, there has been feedback that people also want to read articles and this should increase.
I had a heap of stuff written out for this one but it turned into a rant of its own - I think I'll take this over to the Ask LI thread instead.

Thanks for the writeup Skoob, really appreciate it.

Where in Brisbane do you suggest they'll move back to? The Gabba basement?

Having dealt with Jake Anson on a local footy development issue I'd agree with the generally positive views expressed about him in previous posts. It also seems to me that some impressive, ambititious and sometimes long-overdue plans for footy facilities across QLD are getting some serious attention and finding support and funding both from government but more importantly, the AFL itself.

We got quite a good presentation and run down on the new facilities from Jake who is a major projects planner from AFL/AFLQ. My guess is that because some of the content is still confidential and no official announcement can be made just yet, we were a bit of a test audience.

So glad you didn't say 'focus group'! Many thanks for the summary Skoob.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back