2023 Brownlow Medal

Remove this Banner Ad

It's worse than that:

- "push-polling" Dusty for the Brownlow months out (not to say he is not a great player and did not deserve it, but how could umpires ignore the beat-ups?)
- protecting Cotchin from suspension (as against punches that saw Cats players rubbed out)
- naming an AA captain who isn't even captain of his own club ("at least I'm the best player in my family"? ...)
- protecting the Tigers from leaving their home ground to play finals
- an 'equalisation' policy that leaves us paying less to veterans after the salary increase, not more
- seven home games while Melbourne clubs play in their own city 13 times a year.

About as equal as a see-saw with a camel up one end and a baby the other.
And Given that umpires who can't see a free kick on the day or very often even make a decision cast the votes then the Brownlow ain't worth the medal its written on.
And for this year the equivalent of a crowd free kick- which according the Richmond Coach only happens at Geelong.

Not quite, but I do give more credibility to the AFLPA awards.
These awards are voted by your peers, can't be a higher mark of respect than that. The Brownlow is voted on by a bunch of overly precious nerds, who I don't believe are beyond manipulation or reproach

*no tin hat*
I agree, AFLPA or AFLCA at the moment have more integrity than the Brownlow in my eyes.

how has a single telecast producer watched any of the last 10 brownlows and failed to think: 'these footballers are awkward with our scripted banter, stumble through it and generally look uncomfortable and it cheapens the entire thing.'

why make players like daniel rioli and dustin martin, who are clearly ill at ease and not enjoying it, express empty platitudes and footy cliches? the only thing they seemed interested in wirh daniel were other riolis.

it is a horrible night of television, invariably. i like the idea, and im interested in the count and the winner, but why persist with such a plainly embarrassing product?

getting fev involved and making numerous references to his last effort fell flat every single time, too.

that girl at the start singing a power ballad surrounded by middle agers as close as 2 metres who couldn't care less?

as much as i love the game, the AFL would have to be one of the most 'uncool' organisations on the planet.

11348b5b40df0590e4be8845fc47e496.gif

I wasn't shutting anything down. Merely pointing out that it's happened before, and probably will again.
Fair enough, I think that is a terrible reason to go with the status quo and proclaim that there is nothing worth investigating or being outraged by.

Not quite, but I do give more credibility to the AFLPA awards.
These awards are voted by your peers, can't be a higher mark of respect than that. The Brownlow is voted on by a bunch of overly precious nerds, who I don't believe are beyond manipulation or reproach

*no tin hat*

I reckon the AFLPA is worse. Have a look at this years results and tell me with a straight face that Dusty was twice as good as Danger because that is what the votes told you.

You're giving players, at the end of the season, a 3-2-1 vote card and expect them to be non-bias after the all the media about Dusty's year and how he was going to blitz and beat the vote record?. Would the vote have been closer if Danger had still be eligible for the Brownlow and was getting as much press as Dusty?. We will never know but I think it would have. I'm not saying that Dusty wouldn't have won just saying that it would have been a closer result.

The players should have to compile their votes 3 times a year after say round 7, 14 and end of year. At least then you will see a much smoother, less media impacted vote count IMO.

how has a single telecast producer watched any of the last 10 brownlows and failed to think: 'these footballers are awkward with our scripted banter, stumble through it and generally look uncomfortable and it cheapens the entire thing.'

why make players like daniel rioli and dustin martin, who are clearly ill at ease and not enjoying it, express empty platitudes and footy cliches? the only thing they seemed interested in wirh daniel were other riolis.

it is a horrible night of television, invariably. i like the idea, and im interested in the count and the winner, but why persist with such a plainly embarrassing product?

getting fev involved and making numerous references to his last effort fell flat every single time, too.

that girl at the start singing a power ballad surrounded by middle agers as close as 2 metres who couldn't care less?

as much as i love the game, the AFL would have to be one of the most 'uncool' organisations on the planet.

First time in 20 years I didn't even bother watching it last night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hell Kitty i seen you lurking around.. you going to join me for the gals?
No lurking from me Shell, I'm totally out of the closet :p + yes, I'll be enthusiastically looking at the frocks!

I like how everyone keeps saying "well it would be an embarrassment for the AFL".

It's actually happened before. Twice. And you'd go a long way to find a more spurious way to be ineligible than Chris Grant in 1997.

The level of paranoia and insane conspiracy mongering now is ridiculous. The red hot favourite won with actually less votes than he was predicted to get. Dangerfield got more votes than he was predicted to get. But a Geelong player didn't win, so that equates to a conspiracy. Obviously.
You'd have to be kidding to suggest there was not an enormous outpouring of venom directed to Collins for his outrageous intervention in the Grant matter and that continues today among many scraggers - and not only supporters. It was an embarrassment then to the AFL and it remains so. To suggest otherwise is to completely misunderstand the impact.

Martin was the favourite among the commentariat which was very much associated with the general Richmond push - which, incidentally, has annoyed be to the extent I'm on the Crows bandwagon. Danger getting so close after missing one game and getting no votes in round 22 was at least the equal and Martin's year. And despite your belief it would have caused little more than a ripple had Danger got more votes I can assure you there were some concerned people in the AFL ranks. As there should have been. Even Martin, the master of the understatement, suggested it would have been "awkward"

James1970 disappointed with the best dresses in the paper today!!!

Agree the big dramatic floaty ball gown was up there- but the 2 black dresses we both loved didnt make it to pics.

They loved Jordans rubbish one tho.

Haven't seen the papers today, but here are my Top 3 for the night. I would have gone for 5, but seriously, it was not the best of Red Carpets.

1. Madeline Ryan - probably a little biased here, but this lady is hot-hot-hot, and in the best ZZ Top parlance, she knows how to use it.

Also shows that black can never be underestimated as the greatest of all colours on a woman - dramatic, exciting, sexy and mysterious.

The gown speaks "I want you to know this woman. She's worth it."

Yeah, I'm a little in love right now.

ead7a23a6720036941178b2678be35b3

2. Julie Clark - most of the gowns on offer last night were extremely conservative, both in shape and colour, but Julie showed it can be pulled off when in classic mode - the cut fits her figure, which in this day and age, is close to a miracle. Subtle and glamorous - I can see Carole Lombard wearing this to the Trocadaro. OTT earrings for fun. Personally, the hair could have a little more body and oomph, but sue me, I'm an 80s guy.
64389367b14cce3313cb7a8628f0d4fe

3. Ana Calle - I've been won over here, probably more to do with the lack of dare on the night. Not sure of the fabric, but I imagine it to look stunning when in motion. Deserves a staircase. The earrings match to lipstick that match the frock.

Most importantly - the outfit make her sparkle. You can tell Ana loves this - it's what so many designer's forget.
f321f3a49945eaa72825d2eab71e9906

00a51ebbeb035b04697fc8da638a69ea

ead7a23a6720036941178b2678be35b3

f321f3a49945eaa72825d2eab71e9906

1. One of my ALL time FAVES. Yeah I get a bit of a "toilet brush" vibe from it, but can overlook it this time. Is a ****ing gorgeous dress. If you turned the whole thing white would make a fabulous wedding dress. Also important she has the boobs to fill the top half. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back