Prediction 2017 Captaincy (and fallout) - Breaking News : feZZa93

Discussion in 'Fremantle' started by M_rash, Jan 14, 2017.

Put it out there
?

Who will be captain?

Poll closed Feb 15, 2017.
  1. Mundy

36 vote(s)
    22.9%
  2. Fyfe

109 vote(s)
    69.4%
  3. Spurr (hey, a buddy's gotta do what a buddy's gotta do)

12 vote(s)
    7.6%
  1. M_rash

M_rash Team Captain

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Its like waiting for your wife to give birth - you know it'll be any day now, but never quite sure when. And you know it'll be one of two genders - male or female. Secretly hoping for one more than the other, but saying you'll be happy with either.

So last year the captaincy announcement was Friday 15th Jan. Today is Friday 13th Jan (unlucky for some) - it's just gotta be imminent. Maybe some time next week, to let the women's captaincy announcement soak in.

We know it'll be one of two candidates - Mundy or Fyfe. Who would you prefer? And what of the other?

Speculation is rife about Fyfe leaving if not voted captain, but what for Mundy? If Mundy is not re-elected, would it be remiss of him not to look at Free Agency?

And who else makes the leadership group? Walters? Hill? Neale?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2017
    docker_champ29 likes this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. mightymouse75

mightymouse75 Premiership Player

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Wimbledon AFC
    Mundy would have to lift his game if he wanted big coin through free agency. It's got to be fyfe.

TheInjuryFactory likes this.
  3. mike91

mike91 Norm Smith Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Think you're reading way too much into things, especially the bit about Mundy and Free Agency. Walters has to be in the leadership group, should of been elected in last year.

4. prpl_jss

prpl_jss Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    TBH if it's not Fyfe, it should be Walters. Dude leads by example and is extremely vocal. Mundy should never have been captain.

5. FD2646

FD2646 Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    west perth, warriors
    After last year it is time for a changing of the guard and I would have Fyfe as captain with Walters as vice capt and Neale also in the leadership team. As a bolter i would also consider adding Alex Pearce to the leadership team as he has been an underage leader and is the future of our backline. This leadership team ensures representation from midfield, fwd and backline. I love manic and am pleased he was anointed captain as a reward for his years of dedication and service, but would now let him concentrate on his footy as he only has a small window remaining.

6. DanWA

DanWA Premiership Player

West Coast
    Other teams:
    East Fremantle Sharks
    +1 for Fyfe

7. Freeeoo

Freeeoo Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    The Gooners
    I would prefer to see Fyfe as the long term captain but I've got a feeling the players may give Mundy another chance, not because they don't like Fyfe but because Mundy has only had one year in the job. You don't often see captains change after just one year.

8. Deveraux

Deveraux Team Captain

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    This time last year I was all for Mundy. Honestly I just want Fyfe to get in now, we already know how driven he is. He could push that out to the playing group.

I feel there is a tiny bit (I said TINY) about a few players getting their back up about Fyfe's character, but I'd imagine there is a great deal of respect too. These are the elements of a great captain, someone who is not going to be your mate or who is always on your side but rather who's going to say what needs to be said even if it's against the grain. To get people to challenge themselves as much as he does himself.

Please make it happen!

In saying that, if it does happen, geez i would feel for Mundy especially if we make a hike up the ladder again. He will probably forever feel that he was 'that captain' the one year the backside fell out of Freo, even though it wasn't his fault or that people don't think that of him.

As for the leadship group I would be gobsmacked if Sonny doesn't make the cut. Maybe Mundy, Sandi, Spurr, Walters and Neale for me.

Kenny_01, M_rash and Unique Name like this.
  9. Tayl0r

Tayl0r Moderator

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Would you think a signing announcement at the captaincy vote result press conference would overshadow either?

10. theGav56

theGav56 Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Fremantle
    I am not a fan of captain for a year. It turns the position into a bit of a popularity contest. But the Fyfe makes this all a bit complicated. Dream world scenario for me is contract extension announcement Monday, Captaincy announcement Friday. Something like that.

I am also not a big fan of co-captaincy, but in this current scenario I don't mind having a Mundy/Fyfe double act.

Geez I have turned into an indecisive, fence-sitting procrastinator.

mad4freo, M_rash, Clems Knee and 3 others like this.
  11. scon

scon Norm Smith Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Long haired Champs.
    We have several outstanding candidates.
    Don't have an opinion or preference other than who the players select.
    Don't see any causal relationship between Fyfe's signing and the captaincy.
    'Fallout' in the Thread Title is melodramatic.

Clems Knee likes this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Freo Dr

Freo Dr Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    I could be wrong but I think Mundy may even decide himself to step away. I was in favour of Mundy last year but he had his worst year by far and being the sort of quite bloke he is may want to step back and just focus on his footy. Co-captain could work I but also think RTB has said before he doesn't like that.

Chris Bond was (co)captain for only one year... Probably others

The key thing I really want is Walters needs to be in the leadership group. Should have been there last year and with MJ screwing up it's screaming out for Sonny to replace him. TBH he would probably make the best all round captain in terms of leading by example but maybe his work in front of camera or interviews is not going to be as slick as the others.

13. more_of_bito

more_of_bito Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    UFO Tatsu and FreoMonocle like this.
  14. stax on the mull

stax on the mull All Australian

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Dale Miller in that article writes:

"Under Fremantle’s annual polling system, each player gives his top five choices and must explain his decision in front of the entire squad."

[QUOTEhttps://thewest.com.au/news/wa/stick-with-mundy-ng-b88354017z[/QUOTE]

This system of voting confirms what a pile of crap the Hardie/Hagdorn generated rumour was about there being an underhand attempt by club officials at rigging the result towards Fyfe by misallocating votes.

armpit, UFO Tatsu, M_rash and 6 others like this.
  15. mightymouse75

mightymouse75 Premiership Player

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Wimbledon AFC
    I disagree. I don't think Mundy handles the pressure that we'll at all. Fyfe thrives on it. But the players get to choose not me...

dominguez, Reverse Torp and prpl_jss like this.
  16. Shadow Man

Shadow Man Premiership Player

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    East Fremantle
    Last year I was on the Micky Barlow wagon in the role for a couple of years before handing over to Fyfe.

I really respect Mundy but was very surprised when he got the gig.

Rightly or wrongly I think when they vote this year, many will relate the debacle of last year with Mundy's captaincy. I'll be very surprised if this doesn't result in Fyfe getting the gig, especially with the change out of so many vetran's who would've carried a lot of influence.

17. meima

meima Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Why not Walters ?

Seppo likes this.
  18. Shadow Man

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    East Fremantle
    It's not often someone from outside the leadership group would get the gig.

ritz and yoong like this.
  19. yoong

yoong Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    He shown a lot of on field leadership.
    Hope he get in this year.

20. lw11

lw11 Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Chelsea, Boston Celtics
    MJ captain with Harley Bennell as VC. Mandatory Saturday night running sessions comprising running away from the police without getting caught, followed by kebabs as a recovery meal and warm down at Metro's. Pants around ankles mandatory:thumbsu:

mad4freo, WeaselWJ, noone and 4 others like this.
  21. Righteo

Righteo Purple Campaigner

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Boston Celtics
    Give Mundy a shot at redemption with a fully fit team to lead and let Fyfe focus on his second Charlie. 2018 is perfect IMO. Not too fussed either way.

Reverse Torp and Clems Knee like this.
  22. Shadow Man

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    East Fremantle
    You may be right but I'd be surprised..

23. Shadow Man

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    East Fremantle
    Yes, the first step would be for him to be nominated to the leadership group which you would think would be likely, given the way he goes about it.

24. Righteo

Righteo Purple Campaigner

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Boston Celtics
    You think Fyfe has it in the bag this year? Or would you be surprised at a fully fit team haha

25. lw11

lw11 Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Chelsea, Boston Celtics
    If the club chose its captain, Fyfe a dead certainty, but because the players have to explain their vote in front of the playing group, hard to say. Not too bothered either way because they'll both go about their footy in the same manner, I think Fyfe wants to be 'captain' to add a few inches when he looks in the mirror