Prediction 2017 Captaincy (and fallout) - Breaking News : feZZa93

Who will be captain?

• Mundy

Votes: 36 22.9%
  • Fyfe

Votes: 109 69.4%
  • Spurr (hey, a buddy's gotta do what a buddy's gotta do)

Votes: 12 7.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't see how the club could keep the Captaincy under wraps until next week? The voting is done publicly so the players should have a fair understanding of who the captain will be.

I don't see how the club could keep the Captaincy under wraps until next week? The voting is done publicly so the players should have a fair understanding of who the captain will be.
It'd be obvious pretty quickly based on the player's demeanour at training & around the club. Either of Mundy or Fyfe will have a spring in their step, or look a bit surly for the next few days.

We need a captain for the club both on and off the field, Mundy is not that captain. Last year reminded me of when the Hawks made Mitchell captain and then went uh-hoh Hodge really should be our captain.

It'd be obvious pretty quickly based on the player's demeanour at training & around the club. Either of Mundy or Fyfe will have a spring in their step, or look a bit surly for the next few days.
Yeah, I suspect word would leak out so surely they wouldn't bother trying to keep it secret.

From the point of view of one of the young players who have been recently (last few seasons) drafted or traded in to Freo:

Looking around training, sure we are largely young and inexperienced, but we have a good group of u25/26 with some really skilled players across all positions. We're looking good over the next few years as we build experience. Our best player is Fyfe, he's 25, the best player in the comp, one of the hardest trainers, and a competitive beast on field who can drag us to a win and wrench back momentum. Fyfe wants the captaincy, especially when guys like Keppell and Viney have already got theirs over east. There is also the risk that he may leave and go to Melbourne. If he doesn't get captaincy, it may just push the scales a bit more toward him leaving if good $ are put in front of him. Fyfe leaving reduces our chance of team success during my time, plus I have to play against him. F that. And nothing against Mundy but I have known him just as long as Fyfe, he's 30 and probably will be winding down the next year or two, and worst case, he leaves and goes back to Melbourne and we get a reasonable young trade or pick. So who do I vote for today? Not a difficult decision.

[My thinking as to why, after some swinging thoughts, that Fyfe will be the 2017 Freo captain]

From the point of view of one of the young players who have been recently (last few seasons) drafted or traded in to Freo:

Looking around training, sure we are largely young and inexperienced, but we have a good group of u25/26 with some really skilled players across all positions. We're looking good over the next few years once as we build our experience. Our best player is Fyfe, he's 25, the best player in the comp, one of the hardest trainers, and a competitive beast on field who can drag us to a win and wrench back momentum. Fyfe wants the captaincy, especially when guys like Keppell and Viney have already got theirs over east. There is also the risk that he may leave and go to Melbourne. If he doesn't get captaincy, it may just push the scales a bit more toward him leaving if good $ are put in front of him. Fyfe leaving reduces our chance of team success during my time, plus I have to play against him. F that. And nothing against Mundy but I have known him just as long as Fyfe, he's 30 and probably will be winding down the next year or two, and worst case, he leaves and goes back to Melbourne and we get a reasonable young trade or pick. So who do I vote for today? Not a difficult decision.

[My thinking as to why after some swinging thoughts that Fyfe will be the 2017 Freo captain]
Isn't it only the leadership group that votes for the captain? I understood that the entire squad selects a leadership group, then the leadership group selects the captain.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I have seen that reported several times.

Isn't it only the leadership group that votes for the captain? I understood that the entire squad selects a leadership group, then the leadership group selects the captain.

ok. but everyone votes 5-1. They all know their votes by the end of the process. Say Fyfe gets 30 votes more than Mundy. Will the leadership group choose Mundy over Fyfe against what the whole team voted for? I'd like to see that.

I thought it was the whole club bar the first year players and then the top 5 make the leadership group.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The media pushing Fyfe so that if someone else is voted in they can take pot shots at the club and go hard at the "Fyfe wants to leave Freo" headlines.

So what do we see the leadership group being like guys?

Fyfe (c), Mundy, Spurr, Walters, Sandilands and Neale. IMHO these guys stand out as our leaders both now and going forward. Is it six players normally or five. If it's five whoever misses out from these guys is extremely unlucky.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

So what do we see the leadership group being like guys?

Fyfe (c), Mundy, Spurr, Walters, Sandilands and Neale. IMHO these guys stand out as our leaders both now and going forward. Is it six players normally or five. If it's five whoever misses out from these guys is extremely unlucky.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
I would guess similar with maybe sHill to fit in somewhere(?)

I expect Mundy but hope for Fyfe.

Main reason is the 5-4-3-2-1 voting system. It leads to mediocrity, because it allows the extreme votes more power.

If you are a normal vote 5 to Fyfe 4 to Mundy. Fair enough. But extreme votes will be 5 to Mundy 1 to Fyfe. One vote can cancel 4 votes.

This is why we still have a silly song.

Preferential systems are better.

Prediction, not my preference:

Fyfe (c), Mundy (vc), Sandi, Spurr, Sonny.

Neale steps in next season when Mundy (may) retire.

+1 for Neale being a smokey outsider

I still think Fyfe will take it

Iirc leading teams system for captain from last year was. All the players vote for the leadership squad then the coaches vote the captain from those chosen players. Im hoping mundy gets it for one more year then the fyfe era starts from 2018 onwards

Back