2017 Carlton's Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

I know this will upset some of you a bit but it really gives me the shits when people play C.Curnow in the middle or a wing. I know we want the next "Nat Fyfe" type player but i dont think he will be he will be a very very amazing CHF though
Absolutely. The endurance of Riewoldt, mobility of Buddy, kicking of Pavlich and explosiveness of Jones (included Jones so as not to overhype the kid)

Here is the 22 I would see.

B Simpson Marchbank Plowman
HB Pickett Weitering Docherty
C Petrevski-Seton Cripps Cunningham
HF C.Curnow McKay Sumner
F LeBois Macreadie J.Silvagni
R Kreuzer Murphy Gibbs
INT Palmer Smedts Fisher Polson
EMG Boekhorst Buckley Byrne

Here is the 22 I would see.

B Simpson Marchbank Plowman
HB Pickett Weitering Docherty
C Petrevski-Seton Cripps Cunningham
HF C.Curnow McKay Sumner
F LeBois Macreadie J.Silvagni
R Kreuzer Murphy Gibbs
INT Palmer Smedts Fisher Polson
EMG Boekhorst Buckley Byrne

Like all of that but think Mcreadie is a large reach for first year. Hope you are right tho. The rest of it has some chance (SPS/Picket/LeB).

Go blues.

I get SPS but the amount of people expecting the remainder of our 2016 draftees being in the best 22 is insane. If just one of Fisher, LeBois, Polson and Macreadie secure a spot this year, eel should be happy. Let's not bury the kids with expectation

I know this will upset some of you a bit but it really gives me the shits when people play C.Curnow in the middle or a wing. I know we want the next "Nat Fyfe" type player but i dont think he will be he will be a very very amazing CHF though

i think he is more the modern day tall that can play forward and in the middle. i don't think he is a key forward but a mobile tall option. Mckay is the modern day tall forward. Good sides tend to have the surrounded by mobile options both tall and small. whatever the role i think he will be a heck of a player

Last edited:
I get SPS but the amount of people expecting the remainder of our 2016 draftees being in the best 22 is insane. If just one of Fisher, LeBois, Polson and Macreadie secure a spot this year, eel should be happy. Let's not bury the kids with expectation

if that happens i would be disappointed and we aren't going anywhere.

if that happens i would be disappointed and we aren't going anywhere.

You continue to set yourself up for major disappointment.

To suggest we're not going anywhere if less than two first year players cement their spot in our best 22 in their debut season is a little extreme.

might as well give up then. what is the point of drafting?

Yeah let's never draft again if our 18 and 19 year old first year players aren't immediately ready for weekly senior football.

How bizarre.

Yeah let's never draft again if our 18 and 19 year old first year players aren't immediately ready for weekly senior football.

How bizarre.

so negative. who said immediate? the draft gives hope and I really believe sos has brought in talent that will step in. plus being in a rebuild bolton will give them every opportunity. if the majority of our picks aren't playing seniors, or have played a number of games, by the end of the year I will be disappointed.

Last edited:
My prediction on where the team is heading:
CARLTON BLUES (Final Rd 2017)
FB: Buckley ----- Marchbank ----- Plowman
HB: Docherty ---- Weitering ----- Byrne
C: Gibbs ----- Cripps ----- Murphy
HF: Sumner ----- McKay ----- C.Curnow
FF: J.Silvagni ----- Casboult ----- Wright
FOL: Kreuzer ----- E.Curnow ----- SPS
INT: Phillips ----- Pickett ----- Simpson (ret.) ---- Cuningham

NORTHERN BLUES (Final Rd 2017)
B: A.Silvagni ----- Glass-McCaster ----- White
HB:Sheehan ----- Rowe ----- Williamson
C:Boekhorst ----- Kerridge ----- Smedts
HF:palmer ----- Macreadie ----- Polson
FF:LeBois ----- Kerr ----- Jaksch
FOL: Corringe ----- Fisher ----- Graham (del.)
INT: Korcheck-- Lamb (del.) -- Gallucci (del.)-- Jones (ret.) -- Thomas (ret.) --- Armfield (ret.)

Oh, he is. Don't worry about that.
happy eel.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

might as well give up then. what is the point of drafting?

Patience mate. We're talking about 2017, no one is saying they will be busts.

It's completely unrealistic to expect any first years to come out and be best 22 straight away (except for maybe the top few talents). A Most won't be up to it physically. Most will have weaknesses to work on, especially those drafted later (the very reason why they dropped down the order).

There will be a couple of outliers, sure, but they are the exception, not the rule. History has shown us that most draftees won't even make the grade. Of the ones that will, only a tiny few will be up to it immediately. How can you expect our 2017 crop to suddenly buck this trend?

Like I say, we can have some expectation for SPS. If one more of the 2016 cohort proves the exception this year, we should be satisfied.

so negative. who said immediate? the draft gives hope and I really believe sos has brought in talent that will step in. plus being in a rebuild bolton will give them every opportunity. if the majority of our picks aren't playing seniors, or have played a number of games, by the end of the year I will be disappointed.

This thread is about our best 22 for this season. That's pretty immediate to me.

And there is an enormous difference between being best 22 and playing a few games.

Patience mate. We're talking about 2017, no one is saying they will be busts.

It's completely unrealistic to expect any first years to come out and be best 22 straight away (except for maybe the top few talents). A Most won't be up to it physically. Most will have weaknesses to work on, especially those drafted later (the very reason why they dropped down the order).

There will be a couple of outliers, sure, but they are the exception, not the rule. History has shown us that most draftees won't even make the grade. Of the ones that will, only a tiny few will be up to it immediately. How can you expect our 2017 crop to suddenly buck this trend?

Like I say, we can have some expectation for SPS. If one more of the 2016 cohort proves the exception this year, we should be satisfied.

take the "best 22" scenario out of play as its a bit misleading. plus our current best 22 is very poor. what i am talking about is playing the kids as soon as possible. we are rebuilding (similar to bulldogs saints demons) and as soon as they are physically ready you play the kids. bolton did it with weiteirng cuningham cunrow silvagni last year. the last three weren't ready or technically best 22 but we are 'rebuilding" i have no doubt that if fit bolton will play the majority of not all and try and gte as many games into them as possible. if he doesn't we are playing the buckley's grahams whites jones casboults thomas's on our list and I am not sure what that achieves. The sooner we can get 20-30 games into these kids the better. not only for experience but to see if they are good enough.

so negative.

I'm not being negative at all; I'm simply being realistic.

Many of our first year players are likely to be given opportunities at senior level in 2017 but it is a huge jump to expect multiple to have cemented a spot in our best side come September. Logic and history suggests this will not happen and we should not be disappointed if it doesn't.

To suggest we're going nowhere if 2016 draftees don't buck that trend is clearly over the top, unrealistic and - as I said - setting yourself up for major disappointment.

I'm not being negative at all; I'm simply being realistic.

Many of our first year players are likely to be given opportunities at senior level in 2017 but it is a huge jump to expect multiple to have cemented a spot in our best side come September. Logic and history suggests this will not happen and we should not be disappointed if it doesn't.

To suggest we're going nowhere if 2016 draftees don't buck that trend is clearly over the top, unrealistic and - as I said - setting yourself up for major disappointment.

i think i'll finish. you consistently seem to read things in to my comments that simply aren't there

take the "best 22" scenario out of play as its a bit misleading. plus our current best 22 is very poor. what i am talking about is playing the kids as soon as possible. we are rebuilding (similar to bulldogs saints demons) and as soon as they are physically ready you play the kids. bolton did it with weiteirng cuningham cunrow silvagni last year. the last three weren't ready or technically best 22 but we are 'rebuilding" i have no doubt that if fit bolton will play the majority of not all and try and gte as many games into them as possible. if he doesn't we are playing the buckley's grahams whites jones casboults thomas's on our list and I am not sure what that achieves. The sooner we can get 20-30 games into these kids the better. not only for experience but to see if they are good enough.

Misleading? This entire thread is about our best 22 for 2017! I'm not sure how Jeremias could read your earlier posts any other way than expecting all of the 2017 draftees to cement a spot in our best 22.

I generally agree that we should be testing these kids if they are ready, with the caveat that you need to be careful not to ruin kids by asking too much, too early. Plus, as we have seen with Melbourne, it can be counter-productive to throw a bunch of kids to the wolves. They won't learn much playing in a side that is constantly chasing its tail and getting slaughtered.

Misleading? This entire thread is about our best 22 for 2017!

in regards to my comments it is that's why i said it. it was just clarification of my perspective. i look at best 22 to build our next great side. not best 22 as we sit here today. im interested in building and development. my focus in on the future as our current best 22 is very poor. no big deal

how many days until first practice match?? The NAB cup will go a fair way to determining who will start round 1..

I would say the below players if fit are the only guaranteed starters round 1, which means there are 12 places up for grabs... Its a huge incentive for all the list to have a real crack in the pres season and give themselves a chance..
Casboult
Cripps (if fit)
Docherty
Gibbs
Kerridge
Kruezar
Murphy
Plowman
Rowe
Simpson
Weitering
Wright

you need to be careful not to ruin kids by asking too much, too early. Plus, as we have seen with Melbourne, it can be counter-productive to throw a bunch of kids to the wolves. They won't learn much playing in a side that is constantly chasing its tail and getting slaughtered.

i think bolton knows what he is doing. as for melbourne i think they are coming out the other side from a very low base and the benefits are starting to show especially since Roos took over.

i think bolton knows what he is doing. as for melbourne i think they are coming out the other side from a very low base and the benefits are starting to show especially since Roos took over.
see our rise as possibly shadowing - hopefully leading - the demons progress

Remove this Banner Ad

Back