2017 Carlton's Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

i dont see how people are thinking thomas is in our best 22? are people still remembering what he could do? injuries have talen their toll and the game has gone past him. if he didnt have a big fat contract (thank you malthouse & mckay) he would be gone. he can't keep up and his kicking is deplorable. surely with the inclusion of smedts palmer pickett and about 5 draft picks its over for him. its time to move on

Exactly. I believe anyone thats pencilling him into the "best" 22 is simply going off name only.

Thomas is as cooked as I've seen a player. That ankle is bung and he appears to have lost every attribute that makes him an AFL player. Put him in the reserves for the season so he can help grow some our midfielders/half forwards.

Casboult should be playing as the second ruck, Kreuzer and Phillips should not play in the same side. Casboult is quite a good ruckman, very underrated and not a great forward.

The big slow lumbering 196cm+ forward is extinct. Cloke, Tippett too slow, immobile, and one dimensional and brought undone by a good team defensive structure. Tom Boyd's future is in the ruck as we saw on grand final day. Harry McKay's future is likely the same. The modern CHF is a Bontempelli, Stringer or Gunston type who can really run and mark the ball and moves really well. Silvagni and Curnow may fit this profile some day.

The big target is still an important thing to have but they generally play a lot deeper. Mobility and speed is what's kicking goals at the moment. Guys with a good leap and overhead marking ability. Not the really big tall slow lumbering types. These big fellas need to be able to play ruck and go forward for stints. We've really been getting this wrong with Casboult, Kreuzer and Phillips of recent times.

Best thing about our young big blokes is that they look fairly quick and mobile. Mckay and Curnow are really good movers.

Casboult needs to trim down, get really fit and play as a ruckman, then we may be able to facilitate a good trade at the end of the season because he's good at it and there's always a spot on a list for a guy who is good at this.

What I'd love to see...

B: Buckley Weitering Plowman
HB: Docherty Marchbank Simpson
C: Cuningham Cripps E.Curnow
HF: Wright C. Curnow Sumner
F: Palmer McKay Silvagni
R: Kreuzer Gibbs Murphy
I/C Thomas, Brodie/Taranto, Phillips, Kerridge

Back the kids in as talls.

Depth: Pickett, Rowe, White, Casboult, Smedts, Armfield, Lamb, Graham, Jaksch, Gorringe, 2016 draft picks.

Pickett, Boekhorst & Byrne replacing Kerridge, Thomas & Palmer by round 23.

been tried couldn't do it. blew up quickly and then struggled up forward. he is not up to afl football at all. only a back up this year and then moved on
Injuries aside, Levi's played less than 85% game time a handful of times in the last 4 years, so it's nothing like what I'm describing.

He spells Kreuzer, then he goes to the bench or he spells a young forward. He can save his leap for the ruck.

Injuries aside, Levi's played less than 85% game time a handful of times in the last 4 years, so it's nothing like what I'm describing.

He spells Kreuzer, then he goes to the bench or he spells a young forward. He can save his leap for the ruck.

waste of space. he's no good no matter where you play him. this time next year he will be gone. mckay silvagni & charlie are the future. not sure kruezer is our best ruck either. phillips looked better to me when kruezer was out and was relieved by gorringe

Backs: Simpson Marchbank Plowman. Byrne inj
HBs: Docherty Weitering Buckley
Mids: E Curnow Cripps. Cuningham
HFs: J Silvagni Casboult. C Curnow
For: Sumner H McKay. Wright Pickett inj
Rucks: Kreuzer. Gibbs. Murphy

Int: Phillips, Kerridge, Armfield, Rowe

1 Not counting draftees or any delisted free agents.
2 Graham, Everitt, Boekhorst, Thomas, Jones, Gorringe, White and Lamb are 'depth' for injuries, suspension ...
3 Byrne comes in, Plowman to back flank. Buckley to interchange and Kerridge out.
4 Pickett comes in, Sumner to interchange and Armfield out.
5 Rowe for gorilla forwards, otherwise rotating with Weitering, Plowman and Marchbank.
6 Experiment with Docherty in midfield.
7 C Curnow to push to midfield in 2018

Backs: Simpson Marchbank Plowman. Byrne inj
HBs: Docherty Weitering Buckley
Mids: E Curnow Cripps. Cuningham
HFs: J Silvagni Casboult. C Curnow
For: Sumner H McKay. Wright Pickett inj
Rucks: Kreuzer. Gibbs. Murphy

Int: Phillips, Kerridge, Armfield, Rowe

1 Not counting draftees or any delisted free agents.
2 Graham, Everitt, Boekhorst, Thomas, Jones, Gorringe, White and Lamb are 'depth' for injuries, suspension ...
3 Byrne comes in, Plowman to back flank. Buckley to interchange and Kerridge out.
4 Pickett comes in, Sumner to interchange and Armfield out.
5 Rowe for gorilla forwards, otherwise rotating with Weitering, Plowman and Marchbank.
6 Experiment with Docherty in midfield.
7 C Curnow to push to midfield in 2018
I dont know why everyone is pushing for C.curnow to play mid... will be a much better CHF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Walk Up Starting 22 (ignoring injuries, and acknowledging the need to get games into some of the kids)
B: Byrne, Marchbank, Simpson
HB: Docherty, Weitering, X
C: X Cripps X
HF: C Curnow, Casboult, Palmer
F: Silvagni, McKay, Wright
R: Kreuzer, Gibbs, Murphy
Int: Kerridge, E Curnow, X, X

Filling out the walk up start (ignoring injuries, unestablished players playing to potential)
B:
Byrne, Marchbank, Simpson
HB: Docherty, Weitering, (Smedts/Gowers/Buckley/Sheehan/Vojo-Rainbow)
C: Boekhorst, Cripps, Cunningham
HF: C Curnow, Casboult, Palmer/Pickett/Sumner/Lamb/Everitt)
F: Silvagni, McKay, (Wright/Pickett/Sumner/Lamb/Everitt)
R: Kreuzer, Gibbs, Murphy
Int: Kerridge, E Curnow, (Pick 5/Armfield/Thomas/Pick 25), (Phillips/Jaksch/Rowe/Gorringe/Jones)

Rationale
  • I think Palmer comes straight in as he has things we lack.
  • I really hope the following come on in a huge way: Boekhorst, Sumner, DVR, Gowers, and Jaksch
  • If we get a gun mid for pick 5, we should put him straight in the guts. Rotate him and Gibbs through the half back
  • I am assuming that Graham, Whiley, Tutt will be delisted; Armfield, Rowe, DVR, Buckley, Gowers and Everitt survive the next cull
  • 2017 cull will again be deep

Last edited:
Marchbank - Rowe - Simpson
Plowman - Weitering - Docherty

Smedts - Cripps - Curnow

Palmer - Levi - C.Curnow
Silvagni - McKay - Sumner

Kreuzer - Gibbs - Murphy

Bench: Pickett, Wright, Cunningham, Pick 5 (Brodie or Taranto)
CHF. Has the kicking ability the marking ability his a great runner too but his not too fast really i think he wont do as good in the middle as people think

Agree, Charlie needs to show us what he can do up forward first - midfield role maybe 2-3 years down the track. Silvagni and C Curnow are mobile, good marks and good kicks - not quite tall enough, big-bodied enough or experienced enough for KPF roles; they will be great support for KPFs McKay/Rowe/Casboult and will complement crumbing smalls (Buckley/Gallucci/Pickett/Sumner).

By keeping inflation down on everyone elses contract! :p

He's basically keeping that salary cap space warm for Fyfe lol[/QUOTE]

Am I the only person who can't understand why we think we would even want Fyfe? We are a long way away from filling the holes that will win us silverwear. Fyfe is a magnificent player but lets get a list together first and then go cherrypicking. I would suggest we are 3 years from chasing free agents?

Am I the only person who can't understand why we think we would even want Fyfe? We are a long way away from filling the holes that will win us silverwear. Fyfe is a magnificent player but lets get a list together first and then go cherrypicking. I would suggest we are 3 years from chasing free agents?
You can't be hard-and-fast with a rule like that. Flexibility and taking advantage of situations as they arise has to be done. Building a premiership list these days is too competitive to do otherwise. If a player like Fyfe is available as a free hit next year, you take it (pending his fitness). A gun with 5+ years of A-grade football left should never be passed up on principle.

B: Marchbank Rowe Simpson
HB: Weitering plowman docherty
C: Cuningham Murphy Curnow
HF: C.Curnow Kerridge Mckay
F: SOS Casboult Sumner
FOLL: Kruezer Cripps Gibbs
INT: Palmer Pickett Wright Pick 5

i dont see how people are thinking thomas is in our best 22? are people still remembering what he could do? injuries have talen their toll and the game has gone past him. if he didnt have a big fat contract (thank you malthouse & mckay) he would be gone. he can't keep up and his kicking is deplorable. surely with the inclusion of smedts palmer pickett and about 5 draft picks its over for him. its time to move on
True,too bad he still has a yr on his contract...i guess he will just do that and move on?
he played a couple good games last yr ,appeared on the media about it as best on ground,then went downhill from there.poor fitness base from too much time out?,he seemed to slow up ?...he looked almost haggard lacking strength or tone ..if he does improve for a while during the season we will undoubtedly use him,but should not fuss with him if he struggles.
with his ankle injuries its already starting to look time for him...will be expensive for us if he can only manage a few A grade games in 2017.
its going to be embarrassing if he is any worse than last season..maybe he can donate some of the funds back to carlton as good will?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back