2017 Chat with the Club - now with answers see OP

Tex Danger

Premiership Player
Mar 20, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
That question wasn't followed up with why people don't like it, it was just "are we going to change the logo?" Maybe they need to know that it doesn't actually look like a crow in a lot of peoples eyes?
In future (and ill have to try remember to raise it myself as a question next time this happens) id like a different slant on the logo question asked.

IS there any chance of a refreshing of the logo, with recent changes to the guernsey fixing our blue, can the same process be applied to the logo so it again represents our colours. (With this, thinning/removing the borderlines would make the logo more sleek and remove a lot of the over accentuated curve at the end of the beak and a change of font I think the logo has a lot more potential)

This type pf change would surely be a lot cheaper and not lose the branding/attachement the current logo has built that they don't want to apparently lose.

The logo in the Smithers photo day video (outline only version) looks so much better than the full version

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
:eek: Really, did you expect to hear anything that wasn't safe or had already been released to the media

This was never a communication channel to release News Scoops .....can you imagine the uniform supplier and design being released via Crowcast :p:p ......people need to understand it was a PR meet
Have you got me off ignore? I'm flattered.

See Froggys post.

Surely a comment could have been made that it doesn't even look like a Crow but a Raptor and it's not liked by some of the supprterbase.

But it's not about that, "why has the club song dropped Mighty" isn't really riveting stuff.

I would like to have known after the Gibbs debacle what lessons have we learnt?

If Organic growth doesn't work in 2017 what's the back up plan? Hearing excuses as to why we haven't recruited players is just a cop out, that's not going to help us win a flag.

What was our strategy in finding Nobles replacement because Burtons appointment looks like a job for the boys.

Sure these questions may have resulted in it being the last catch up but who cares, at least they would know there is some scrutiny out there. What did we get out of the meeting? Very little besides some player trivial info and interviews for Crowscast.

Sorry for those that went to the effort but this is how I feel about it.
Perhaps represent BF at the next meeting if you don't feel represented.

It's not Iike everyone can be happy all the time...

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
They were completely safe and boring questions. No suggestion of adding any depth to any of the questions either. Just very basic, simple questions with basic, simple answers.
It could be a valid argument by the attendees that they were taking baby steps in the relationship, and that more expansive questioning could occur in time with familiarity and trust between the parties

:eek: Really, did you expect to hear anything that wasn't safe or had already been released to the media

This was never a communication channel to release News Scoops .....can you imagine the uniform supplier and design being released via Crowcast :p:p ......people need to understand it was a PR meet

Have to agree with Wayne here, you can ask as many hard questions as you like but the club will just refuse to answer them or straight bat them. Particularly anything controversial or that might get them to admit they didn't do a good job

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Have to agree with Wayne here, you can ask as many hard questions as you like but the club will just refuse to answer them or straight bat them. Particularly anything controversial or that might get them to admit they didn't do a good job
Of course .....questioning should be around fan engagement .....uniforms, logo, pre-match entertainment, social media performance and opportunities for improvement in social media .......we have some great posters with excellent backgrounds in design and social media that should have a voice

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Look there's no doubt the club has listened to its fans on the uniform colors and design (hoops full circle) ......i'm sure they're listening about the raptor as well, because they haven't jumped immediately, doesn't mean there aren't plans afoot

To me there's a disconnect between the raptor and the Crows used in all advertising .....that'll be rectified in time

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
See Froggys post.

Surely a comment could have been made that it doesn't even look like a Crow but a Raptor and it's not liked by some of the supprterbase.

But it's not about that, "why has the club song dropped Mighty" isn't really riveting stuff.

If Organic growth doesn't work in 2017 what's the back up plan? Hearing excuses as to why we haven't recruited players is just a cop out, that's not going to help us win a flag.

What was our strategy in finding Nobles replacement because Burtons appointment looks like a job for the boys.

Sure these questions may have resulted in it being the last catch up but who cares, at least they would know there is some scrutiny out there. What did we get out of the meeting? Very little besides some player trivial info and interviews for Crowscast.

There's going to be another meeting. So basically mission accomplished.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Perhaps represent BF at the next meeting if you don't feel represented.

It's not Iike everyone can be happy all the time...
Yeah what do you reckon the chances are I would be invited and allowed to have my questions asked?

Besides, I've spoken to Chapman and Trigg in the past, I think I would have been blackballed by now.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
While this thread spiralled out of control, I can understand why some of the queries exist regarding the meeting. Listening to the podcast it certainly seemed like this was a backslapping exercise and an opportunity to get chummy with the club for the few involved. The number 1 objective seemed to be not to piss off the club.
Did your question get asked?

AFC3000

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
Looks like my question about membership number goals was asked. I know that membership is really just name on a database to Fages, and I'm happy with that, I realise it's probably better to sell access to and insights from that list than maybe get a few thousand non-access members at $50 a year, minus cost of acquiring new paid members and retaining them etc. I am a fan of the We Fly As One membership.

100,000 in 3 years time, I don't care if it's audited, I'd be happy for us to just make the big claim and stand by it. This year it would be best to get out just ahead of the audited numbers and promote the fact that we don't care about the audited numbers rather than sort of be caught with a lower number after the audit and then have to say we don't care about that number after the fact. Let's see if we get that 100,000 within the time frame.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt FC; Pittsburgh Steelers
What i did find interesting was inappropriate questions about MacKay was brought up in here, but then a joke was made to fages about having to beat Dmacs "listeners" record, was that taking the piss out of Dmack or has Dmack actually rated the best of all the shows?
Dmac's interview is indeed the record holder for most listeners/plays... by a reasonable margin too.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yes.

Apparently most clubs are going short to prepare for merging of main & rookie list.

I still don't get it, but that was the answer.
And that's what I've been saying all preseason.

So effectively keeping Thommo has meant we've passed on a late pick in the draft or rookie list and passing had nothing to do with lack of available talent.

So who was that I was in discussion with about this, Pdub Carmo ?

Aug 17, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Whilst this might have gone too far, I felt the questions that were asked were safe and boring.

If we aren't prepared to ask though questions and wanted to listen to club PR we could just read the website or twitter.

I also appreciate we need to be sensitive but without an element of scrutiny what's the point of it?
Thats a fair comment and we do walk a fine line. You have to bear in mind that the club cant talk openly and publicly about certain things, and whilst Fages doesn't mind tough questions, we're not investigative Journalists nor are we in a position to be confrontational with them. There is an element of "dont bite the hand that feeds you"

For example, were we to ask a question about our draft/trading strategy, the club aren't likely to say "we messed up", because thats not the message they want the world (or our draftees and recruits) to hear. And I stress, that was a hypothetical example.

Frankly, there aren't too many media outlets that I can think of in the footy world which would ask those kinds of questions, and those that do certainly get the company line. So whilst I understand where you're coming from, I think perhaps your expectations in regards to this aspect are too high.

Aug 17, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
See Froggys post.

Think about it EC, what answers do you honestly think the club would have given to the bolded questions? What makes you think the club even feels that the Gibbs situation was a "debacle"? And whilst you might think the "mighty" in the song was trivial, many didnt. Many also think the logo issue is a non issue. So we asked as many questions as we could and all the questions that were asked were out of this thread (bar two).

Perhaps posters who appear so passionate about this catch up should be more creative with their questions? Not one question was ours, they were all yours - yet we're to blame for the quality of the questions?

Pretty much sums up this board - damned if you do, damned if you dont :)

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Thats a fair comment and we do walk a fine line. You have to bear in mind that the club cant talk openly and publicly about certain things, and whilst Fages doesn't mind tough questions, we're not investigative Journalists nor are we in a position to be confrontational with them. There is an element of "dont bite the hand that feeds you"

For example, were we to ask a question about our draft/trading strategy, the club aren't likely to say "we messed up", because thats not the message they want the world (or our draftees and recruits) to hear. And I stress, that was a hypothetical example.

Frankly, there aren't too many media outlets that I can think of in the footy world which would ask those kinds of questions, and those that do certainly get the company line. So whilst I understand where you're coming from, I think perhaps your expectations in regards to this aspect are too high.
That's fair enough, but by asking the question they at least know that footballers followers aren't easily fooled by "organic growth". You might not get a straight answer but are forced to provide an answer.

Aug 17, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
As Fagan said, he's aware any time he speaks to anyone publicly on any platform, he's speaking to everyone. Thus, he has to be careful.

Aug 17, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
That's fair enough, but by asking the question they at least know that footballers followers aren't easily fooled by "organic growth". You might not get a straight answer but are forced to provide an answer.
What makes you think they're not aware? They're very aware, as Fagan stated, acknowledging it's a results oriented business and they expect feedback (good or bad) when it comes.

Trust me, he knows exactly what the various points of view are. And thats not be being secret squirrel, thats acknowledging the extensive efforts the club is going into supporter engagement, data mining, marketing, media and social media. It's his pet project and a major plank of the club's ongoing operations.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Think about it EC, what answers do you honestly think the club would have given to the bolded questions? What makes you think the club even feels that the Gibbs situation was a "debacle"? And whilst you might think the "mighty" in the song was trivial, many didnt. Many also think the logo issue is a non issue. So we asked as many questions as we could and all the questions that were asked were out of this thread (bar two).

Perhaps posters who appear so passionate about this catch up should be more creative with their questions? Not one question was ours, they were all yours - yet we're to blame for the quality of the questions?

Pretty much sums up this board - damned if you do, damned if you dont :)
I wasn't comfortable posting what I did and I wasn't going to because I know you and the others are passionate about it and you put a lot of work into it.

As for the questions, not all were asked.

As for the logo, maybe I shouldn have given you license to mercifully bag the crap out of it to get the point across ;)

Back