Remove this Banner Ad

Azul

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 22, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Carlton
You know the deal...

The most disappointing loss of the year, even allowing for Lamb subbed out early. Playing a good side and we would have lost by 10+ goals.

If the effort was there I wouldn't mind but we were smashed in tackles, marks inside 50 and had 11 less scoring shots.

Bolton has had 35 games to construct a forward line and yet we can't average more than 2 goals a quarter. No structure once we're 70m out from goal. Injury permitting I would expect Kerr and McKay to play every game for the rest of the year because our current forward line is putrid.

It was not the loss but the terrible skills, awareness and decision making that made this disappointing. We lost our structure far too much.

It was not the loss but the terrible skills, awareness and decision making that made this disappointing. We lost our structure far too much.
It's just a lack of depth. We just have to many kids underperforming and too many VFL standard players in the side.

It's hard to have structure when a third of your side shouldn't be playing AFL footy.

Bolton has had 35 games to construct a forward line and yet we can't average more than 2 goals a quarter. No structure once we're 70m out from goal. Injury permitting I would expect Kerr and McKay to play every game for the rest of the year because our current forward line is putrid.
I thought a big part of todays forward line was our entry into it. The amount of times we just booted it in and kicked to Richmond players was gross. Also thought we lacked some pace on the ground which is disappointing with SPS and Pickett playing. The forward line is there (C.Curnow, SPS, Pickett, SOJ), they just need time to develop. You wouldn't drop Cas, C.Curnow or SOJ so its pretty tough to bring in Kerr and McKay.

I feel physically sick thinking about today.

Poor everything really.

I hope BB lashes them and they understand that it simply is not good enough.

Boy I miss Fisher and Willo.

I feel physically sick thinking about today.

Poor everything really.

I hope BB lashes them and they understand that it simply is not good enough.

Boy I miss Fisher and Willo.

BB was out coached today. Never mind the cattle. BB needs to review this game and learn to react a tad quicker.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I may have a unpopular opinion here and I'm not sure this is the right thread to put it in but I'm concerned about the progression of Weitering and where he fits into our side

Weiters is an interesting one. At worst he will be a serviceable KPP. I think he lacks pace and mongrel but I'm still hopeful he will be a gun.

we're still a chance
Well I wish I shared your optimism. 7 out of the last 9 is a big ask.

Richmond were completely shitful last week and did their best to lose this week through bad kicking. We virtually ran up the white flag in the second quarter - undoing the good work of the previous two weeks.

Weiters is an interesting one. At worst he will be a serviceable KPP. I think he lacks pace and mongrel but I'm still hopeful he will be a gun.
i thought he was unnoticeable today, he certainly had no impact on the game.
I still have high hopes for him and I'm assuming a mixture of changed positions this year and injury have played a part.

I'm relatively unconcerned about Weitering at the moment.
Played an important shutdown role against the bigger Wright last week and he stands out less this year because of Marchbank.

Needs to get quicker, though, to be able to contain more athletically gifted forwards.

With his smarts and ability to win contents, and providing his body holds up, I still see a Rance-like peak. Rance has nice closing speed though.

I'm relatively unconcerned about Weitering at the moment.
Played an important shutdown role against the bigger Wright last week and he stands out less this year because of Marchbank.

Needs to get quicker, though, to be able to contain more athletically gifted forwards.

With his smarts and ability to win contents, and providing his body holds up, I still see a Rance-like peak. Rance has nice closing speed though.
I believe he has escaped some criticism and analysis this season and avoided the spotlight that other number 1 picks would receive due to our other young kids doing so well

I thought we already had a 'Chicken Little' thread, although strangely it was called 'Round 14 - Carlton v Richmond Gameday Discussion'.

What a read that was. If we took on board some of the stuff posted in there, I would suggest there would have been a mass microwaving of memberships by Carlton supporters. It was more gloomy than the worst Melbourne winter's day you could imagine.

3 months ago we would have expected today's result.

But since we beat GWS i think some of us got way too far ahead of ourselves in terms of where we are at as a team, we are still way to young at the bottom end of our age bracket and we clearly still need a majority of our elders to hold it together while they progress.

We still need patience, one more preseason and still over 30 games of this rebuild left to go.

Venting about being knocked out of the finals race, losing to a pack of pretenders in Richmond.

New avatar is heaps better.

Just wondering when we ever entered into a race to make the finals. I must have missed it somehow.

Losing to Richmond is always a bitter pill to swallow but it's not a total surprise that we could lose to them at the moment, they are a better team than we are right now. I expect that to change in the not too distant future but we are talking about expectations right now.

the shitness of losing to richmond aside, it's good to have these sorts of games IMO. a reminder of how far we still have to go before we start getting too ahead of ourselves. We still have a very weak list, full of holes, and unless our best players have blinders then we are still prone to falling to pieces like we did today.

"don't get too high or too low" ~ a wise young elf

Remove this Banner Ad

Back