Analysis 2017 Chicken Little thread

Remove this Banner Ad

the shitness of losing to richmond aside, it's good to have these sorts of games IMO. a reminder of how far we still have to go before we start getting too ahead of ourselves. We still have a very weak list, full of holes, and unless our best players have blinders then we are still prone to falling to pieces like we did today.

"don't get too high or too low" ~ a wise young elf
I sometimes think there are some posters on here that get too high.

Weiters is an interesting one. At worst he will be a serviceable KPP. I think he lacks pace and mongrel but I'm still hopeful he will be a gun.

When Byrne comes in (fortnight from now I would expect?) I would like to see him in defence as an extra "small" and Weiters moved up forward for the rest of the year; I'm sure McKay and Kerr will also get a taste up forward before too long. When Willo and ASOS come back I want ASOS down back and Willo moved up into the midfield/wing rotations. When Macreadie is right to go I want to see him potentially have a go up forward (maybe Jack can be rested). Young players (McKay, Kerr, Le Bois and Polson (has played one game already)) should all get a taste of the big time before the year is out as this can really fast-track their development for next year.

Put simply, we will soon have 8 or 9 defenders who all deserve a spot in the senior side - some must therefore be re-assigned, and we should start that process now rather than wait until next pre-season.

Jesus Christ. The doomsdayers have come out in numbers. The overreaction here is insane and irrational. Calm your farm the rebuild is on track. Tough game today but not the end of the world. We are still two off seasons away from pushing for finals. Keep faith.

With the evenness of the season and the way we have progressed to date in such a short time, I can see us really push for finals next year, 2018 - in fact, if we even get a reasonable run with injuries I expect we can realistically make 7th or 8th position next year. For the record, I think we'll win another 4 games (9 wins total) this year - hopefully we win another 5, that's my stretch target!:D:p

Last edited:

I'm still very bullish and positive about the direction we are headed in. Bolts and SOS's focus now has to be on adding depth to the midfield, and crafting a functional and highly effective forward line.

McKay, Kerr and Jaksch must be played from here on to a) see where they're at; b) get senior games into them, and c) start to develop an attack that can regularly kick 100 points a game. There's only so far our current plan of defense, defense, defense will get us. Our back line is solid and sorted for 10 years. Simpson, Docherty, Weitering, Marchbank, Williamson, ASOS, Jones, Plowman, Macreadie and Byrne would be the envy of just about every other team. Maybe need only a small lockdown defender.

Our midfield lacks depth and grunt. It's really only Cripps that is a contested ball winner. Murphy and Gibbs are both excellent on their day, but not getting any younger. Ed Curnow is great, but will never win a Brownlow. Fisher, SPS, Pickett, Polson and Cuningham have a lot of development to go. Understandable given their age. That's pretty damn thin, even thinner if Gibbs packs his bags off to Adelaide at years end.

Up forward though is a tragedy. Cas is a great contested mark, but that's about it. JSOS and CCurnow look like gems, but need another 50 games in them. We need at least another key forward. We need at least another third tall. And we need at least a quality small forward (that being said, I do have high hopes LeBois will come on).

Looking at our senior list as I type this, barring a Liam Jones-type miracle, I see no future in the Seniors for Buckley, Kerridge, Boekhorst, Smedts, Jacksh, Sumner, Palmer, Armfield, Gorringe or White. That's 10. On the Rookie list, you'd have to think that Glass-McKasker, Gallucci and Korcheck may be seeking opportunities elsewhere in 2018. There's another 3. I doubt all will go at the end of the year, as we need senior bodies to help protect the kids and ensure a strong Norther Blues, but many will go.

Whilst that does sound a little bleak, we are on the up. We just don't have the cattle, and the cattle we do have are really quite young. We require patience, and lots. What Bolt's and SOS have done in two years has been pretty incredible, but we are at least two years (realistically probably four years) away from really giving things a shake.

So, 2018 starting line up (assuming Gibbs goes) (bolded players I wouldn't consider certain best 22 yet):

FB: Weitering -- Jones -- Plowman
HB: Marchbank -- ASOS -- Williamson

C: Cuningham -- ECurnow -- Docherty
R: Kreuzer -- Cripps -- Murphy

HF: JSOS -- Casboult -- CCurnow
FF: LeBois -- McKay -- Fisher

Int: SPS -- Simpson -- Byrne -- Wright

3 months ago we would have expected today's result.

But since we beat GWS i think some of us got way too far ahead of ourselves in terms of where we are at as a team, we are still way to young at the bottom end of our age bracket and we clearly still need a majority of our elders to hold it together while they progress.

We still need patience, one more preseason and still over 30 games of this rebuild left to go.

Exactly but problems start to occur if and when the club starts to do the same. What we really need is to not take the 'three year' rebuild talk completely on face value and treat every trade period on its own merits. We need patience but the list management thread shows that some of us really don't quite have the courage of our convictions.

Last edited:
Weiters is an interesting one. At worst he will be a serviceable KPP. I think he lacks pace and mongrel but I'm still hopeful he will be a gun.

Since this is the chicken little thread, at what point does Weitering over Clayton Oliver become a thing...

I mean, I like Weitering and he will be a good player for us. But Oliver is unprecedented...

Come on guys from such a young side you've got to expect inconsistency.

Can't believe the amount of whinging going on especially after we've just won 2 in a row and knocked off GWS.

Whoever thought we were going to make finals this year is delusional. We still have a couple of years to go.

Our midfield issues clearly will be addressed this year and next.

Posted in Autopsy thread.

The D Word should get bumped up this week.

Who was missing?

Cuningham, Fisher and Willa. 10 Senior games or less each. I think they are good players and will become very good players.

Anyone else? Rowe, ASOS? I think Jones is more than adequately replacing one of them.

Phillips? Gorringe?

Kerridge was held over from VFL.

Sumner played VFL. Polson, Byrne, McKay, Kerr and others did too. Lost badly and no one put their hand up.

The next 4 were Boek (who played last week), Smedts, Graham and Pickett.

Our midfield runners do not bat deep and it takes 2 or 3 out and some others injured (Lamb) or down (Murphy, Gibbs, Ed, SPS) and we are beaten.

today wasn't about winning bizarrely enough............

I was more concerned at the lack of team functionality and buy in ...........

I may have a unpopular opinion here and I'm not sure this is the right thread to put it in but I'm concerned about the progression of Weitering and where he fits into our side

tumblr_inline_nnopv6nRUg1rvg9p8_500.gif

A KPP in his second year having an average game...

Are McKay, Schache and Weiderman even playing?

View attachment 385706

A KPP in his second year having an average game...

Are McKay, Schache and Weiderman even playing?

He's actually had a very average year to be honest.

Love his composure but he doesn't have Rance's attack on the ball or ferociousness.

He will be a great player but not sure he is the messiah people have been spruiking.

He's actually had a very average year to be honest.

Love his composure but he doesn't have Rance's attack on the ball or ferociousness.

He will be a great player but not sure he is the messiah people have been spruiking.

He is a different player to rance... Who was a dud for the first 50 games or so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe people's expectations of Weitering are a little unrealistic when you consider he is a 19 year old developing KPP.

I think we've seen enough already to know that he is going to be a very important player for us. The mere fact he has been able to play almost every game in the senior side since arriving at the club speaks volumes for him.

I can't wait to see him as a 23/24 year old fully developed and more mature player. I am confident he will become a dominant player for us for a long time.

Throwaway line that's rarely accurate or coming from a place of knowledge.
wojak_02.nocrop.w710.h2147483647.jpg

this is an actual image of me

Maybe people's expectations of Weitering are a little unrealistic when you consider he is a 19 year old developing KPP.

I think we've seen enough already to know that he is going to be a very important player for us. The mere fact he has been able to play almost every game in the senior side since arriving at the club speaks volumes for him.

I can't wait to see him as a 23/24 year old fully developed and more mature player. I am confident he will become a dominant player for us for a long time.

Tend to agree, although last year he was tracking at being an elite key position defender and because of drafting/trading strategy and the resurrection of Liam Jones we have found ourselves with a plethora of key position defenders Weiters has been pushed forward and doesnt look AFL standard.

Just throwing it out there and is based on our overall needs and list management strategy.. Would a trade with GWS for Josh Kelly + Jacob Hopper for Weitering be in our best interest?

Concerns:
  • Even judging McKay as a first year player, we'd have wanted him to have made it into the 1s by now - a severely undersized JSOS made it in last year.
  • Weitering has seemed timid at times.
  • SPS looked disinterested yesterday and given the huge adjustment to Melbourne life I'm terrified of him going off the rails.
  • Murph and Gibbs are protecting and mentoring the kids, but are they also showing them how to do just enough to avoid criticism and coast along, as they have so expertly done at stages in their careers?
  • Given that our competition for Hopper is a top four side in Geelong do we have a plan B to resuscitate the midfield, and will we be able to do so before Murph Krooz and Gibbs drop off and leave us in no mans land?

Last edited:
Were you concerned when we held GWS, GCS, Was, Coll etc to around 10-12 goals a game?

Shan wasn't having a dig .. they boys just didn't look "on" yesterday that's why I have stayed away from the threads yesterday.

Concerns: Even judging McKay as a first year player, we'd have wanted him to have made it into the 1s by now - a severely undersized JSOS made it in last year. Weitering has seemed timid at times. SPS looked disinterested yesterday and given the huge adjustment to Melbourne life I'm terrified of him going off the rails. Murph and Gibbs are protecting and mentoring the kids, but are they also showing them how to do just enough to avoid criticism and coast along, as they have so expertly done at stages in their careers? Given that our competition for Hopper is a top four side in Geelong do we have a plan B to resuscitate the midfield, and will we be able to do so before Murph Krooz and Gibbs drop off and leave us in no mans land?

JSOS is a completely different player to Harry..

Shan wasn't having a dig .. they boys just didn't look "on" yesterday that's why I have stayed away from the threads yesterday.
I was as pissed as anyone at the way we couldn't stop them outnumbering us as they ran forward, but it's one game (perhaps two counting port) that are against the norm. Par for the course for just about any team, particularly one in our position. It's all good man. Still on track!

JSOS is a completely different player to Harry..

Physically underdeveloped young tall thrown in to the big league on the back of consistent performances in the 2s? No need to panic just yet but even if Harry was a actual first year player we'd have wanted him to have earned a taste of senior footy by now.

Throwaway line that's rarely accurate or coming from a place of knowledge.
I'm not concerned at all, but I think there's a little merit in it. We were caught out of position all day and didn't seem to get into our structure quick enough. The defence was doing reasonably well under the circumstances, but they had free men leading into space with defenders a few steps behind and sometimes not even near it to say boo. If Richmond had kicked straight, it would have been ugly. Now players shoulder a fair bit of responsibility there, but it clearly wasn't working and adjustments needed to be made. Did we make adjustments? I'm not sure that we did and if we did, they didn't really work.
I don't see a problem in the opinion that he was out-coached. Can't expect him to win the battle of the tactics all the time. Excluding the Hawks games, he's only 35 games into a head coaching gig.
It's not the end of the world, but he shouldn't be immune to scrutiny either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back