List Mgmt. 2017 Contract Status (Seppo's Thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Players that keep breaking down
Uebergang - 1yr Still contracted
Bennell - 2yr Still contracted
Deluca - Delist
Clarke - FA| Delist

Apeness - Honour current contract. See how his body holds up - Move to Rookie list
Players that have not improved
Suban - Delist
Sutcliffe - Trade\1 Year
Ibbotson - Delist

Ageing players
Ballantyne -Trade \ Delist
Johnson - Retire

Sandi - 1yr
Mundy - Already extended
Dawson - Delist
Griffin - Delist

D Pearce - 1yr Still contracted
Others
Yarran - Retired
Crozier - extend 2yr
Sheridan - Trade\Keep
Taberner - extend 2yr
Blakely - extend 3yr
Langdon - extend 2yr
Tucker - extend 2yr
Balic - extend 2yr
Collins - extend 2yr (1 Year, has shown any thing when playing AFL)

That is 10 players delisted, plus maybe Sheridan.

I still believe Sheridan has promise when played in the right position. He is a good forward tagger, but he does not have enough smarts to play in a lit of roles.

Apeness won't get to the rookie list, he will be taken as a delisted free agent.

He has one ACL predraft, like Selwood and then a PCL on each knee.

When he starts repeating the injury then it is a problem. He has ten years left in him.

I think you are wrong, I don't think it would be the worst thing in the world if someone else signed him up. The chances of him making it are getting smaller and smaller.

May not be an issue, as there may not be a rookie list.

His last PCL took him a full 12 months to recover from, hopefully this one is better but it may not be.

I think you are wrong, I don't think it would be the worst thing in the world if someone else signed him up. The chances of him making it are getting smaller and smaller.

May not be an issue, as there may not be a rookie list.

His last PCL took him a full 12 months to recover from, hopefully this one is better but it may not be.
The last PCL injury was the beginning of this season, they didn't operate and first game back after a couple of months he tears the PCL again.

I'm only going to get worried when the operated on tissues start to fail and so far I haven't seen evidence of that.

There is something potentially there if the PCL at the start of the year was his right knee...to then rupture again in his first game but that might be more about replacing the radiologist than the key forward.

Initially i'd have said move him to the rookie list, but we'll have enough deadwood to chop at the end of the year without having to move him anyway, you'd think. So you might as well leave him on the main list for 1 more year and see how he bounces back.

It's looking like a big off-season cull of senior players anyway - and we don't have enough draft picks to take in the main draft without moving Apeness off there too.

Last edited:
Contracted for next year.

Put him on the rookie list for next year, but I do agree he looks cooked.
I imagine the old 'mutual agreement' will be broached at some stage. Would allow Apeness to go home and get his life-after-football over there sorted, and the club can move on and draft someone to fill that spot (eg Col Sylvia). Mutually beneficial I would have thought. Could be costing a kid 12 months of development if we just sit on our hands and do nothing.

Last edited:
The last PCL injury was the beginning of this season, they didn't operate and first game back after a couple of months he tears the PCL again.

I'm only going to get worried when the operated on tissues start to fail and so far I haven't seen evidence of that.

There is something potentially there if the PCL at the start of the year was his right knee...to then rupture again in his first game but that might be more about replacing the radiologist than the key forward.
I hope you're right. Big tall forwards who can take a grab don't grow on trees. It would be a massive turn-around if he became a regular AFL CHF after managing 3 knees and only 7 games in his first 4 years. That's 1 knee op every 2.3 games!

Serious question - has anyone ever done it before? I can't think of any, but that doesn't mean anything.

I hope you're right. Big tall forwards who can take a grab don't grow on trees. It would be a massive turn-around if he became a regular AFL CHF after managing 3 knees and only 7 games in his first 4 years. That's 1 knee op every 2.3 games!

Serious question - has anyone ever done it before? I can't think of any, but that doesn't mean anything.
Patton was recruited to the AFL by Greater Western Sydney with the first overall selection in the 2011 AFL National Draft. Patton travelled to Stockholm, Sweden in early 2012 for treatment on a jumper's knee injury, and missed the first eleven rounds of the 2012 season.[5]Patton played his first AFL game on 16 June against Richmond, kicking one goal from seven disposals. In round 3, 2013, Patton's tenth career game, he suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament, which would see him miss the remainder of the 2013 season.[6] In round 21, 2014 after having a break out year Patton re-torn his ACL in the right knee and underwent a traditional knee reconstruction, which saw him miss 12 months.

3 significant knee injuries, just happened to play a few extra games in between. Most big boys don't find their groove until 24-25yo. Ape is only 22yo and we have limited options to replace. If he were a midfielder or flanker, delist. But not much harm holding onto him. Obviously start developing other options, but keep him too.

Patton was recruited to the AFL by Greater Western Sydney with the first overall selection in the 2011 AFL National Draft. Patton travelled to Stockholm, Sweden in early 2012 for treatment on a jumper's knee injury, and missed the first eleven rounds of the 2012 season.[5]Patton played his first AFL game on 16 June against Richmond, kicking one goal from seven disposals. In round 3, 2013, Patton's tenth career game, he suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament, which would see him miss the remainder of the 2013 season.[6] In round 21, 2014 after having a break out year Patton re-torn his ACL in the right knee and underwent a traditional knee reconstruction, which saw him miss 12 months.

3 significant knee injuries, just happened to play a few extra games in between. Most big boys don't find their groove until 24-25yo. Ape is only 22yo and we have limited options to replace. If he were a midfielder or flanker, delist. But not much harm holding onto him. Obviously start developing other options, but keep him too.
Apeness and Patton are in different classes. Patton worth the wait (like Mora). Apeness has kicked 3 goals in 7 games. Unless he's a genuine 2nd ruck option we're just keeping someone off the list. I understand the tall V small argument, but it doesn't matter what size you are sitting in the stands.

A

He's contracted for 1 more year anyway so he'll have plenty of time to recover and build up his fitness to give it one last crack sometime in 2018.

Up to 9 players out with out much effort. I think if Sandilands body hold up, and Ibbotson forms stays good then they will get another year. I doubt Johnson's body will be good enough.
Griffin - Delist
Ballantyne - Trade\Delist
Suban - Trade\Delist
Ibbotson - Delist\ 1 Year (Dependent on form)
Dawson - Delist
Johnson - Retire
Sandilands - Retire\1 Year (Can he stay fit)
Clarke - Trade\Delist
Yarran - Delist

The big question I have is about Mundy?

He is still in our top 5 players, but probably won't play in our next premiership. Would you rather a 2nd round pick, or his service for another 3 years.

If he got a good offer, I would support him in taking it and would happily take the 2nd round pick we got in compensation.

We need to create salary cap space for another Raid on WA boys maybe wanting to come home and of course filling our needs.

Delist griffin, Suban, Ibbo & Dawson which will create about at least $800k-$1M space

We have coverage for these guys in Darcy, Ryan, Cox , Collins & Logue

Clarke if he can overcome his knee issues would warrant a 1 yr ext while Darcy is still developing but being a 10yr+ fee agent may go elsewhere.

Most team now have the one ruck and a forward who pitch hits in the ruck. Sound business to roll Sandi over for one more yr while Darcy develops and we get a clearer picture where Apeness is at

Mundy being used in the F50 more is not using as many tickets if but at his age yearly ext is the go but I agree with you if he wants a 2/3 yr contract then a second round pick would be the go - we don't have one currently in 2017 draft

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mundy being used in the F50 more is not using as many tickets if but at his age yearly ext is the go but I agree with you if he wants a 2/3 yr contract then a second round pick would be the go - we don't have one currently in 2017 draft

Mundy got an automatic 1 year contract (Performance based in current contract)

I think Clarke is spent, and Darcy has already gone past him. If he has a good few games this year, maybe give him 1 year but I have my doubts on him.

Last edited:
For those wanting Ibbo to be delisted I'd give him another year purely as a depth option. Would be a very good depth player to have just not best 22 next year.

Definite delists will be Dawson, Griffin, Yarran. I can see Deluca getting the boot as well if he doesn't play this year.

I can see Johnno retiring if his body doesn't hold up but he's coming good again. Spurr can probably go around for another year, ditto D.Pearce.

Clarke, Suban, Sheridan and Sutcliffe all the trade/+1yr contract space.

Mundy got an automatic 1 year contract (Performance based in current contract)

I think Clarke is spent, and Darcy has already gone past him. If he has a good few games this year, maybe give him 1 year but I have my doubts on him.

Darcy hasn't gone past anybody, figuratively or literally. The only sense Darcy has gone past Clarke is that he can actually get on the park, otherwise Darcy is miles from AFL ready from the little I've seen.

That doesn't necessarily warrant holding on to Clarke, I agree he's done. But as far as first line genuine rucks go, we've got Sandi and that's it. Darcy with another pre-season might be a different beast, so we'll wait and see, but it is a concern.

I thought Darcy played like an average second choice ruckman in the preseason. Doesn't win much outright and mostly competes by being in the way to even the contest.

It was much more than I expected from a teenager.

Huge upside.

Oh yeah, I'm impressed for someone of his stature and so young. I think he's every chance of making it, but he's a fair way from being lock down first choice ruckman, and if Sandi goes down, and we want to play a genuine ruck rather than a combo of pinch hitters, then he's it really. And lets not kid ourselves - if he's in the starting 22 at this stage, then we're carrying him.

Now the ruck is the sort of position that you can fudge around with a bit (see Bulldogs) but, either way you cut it, it's an area in our list where we are very thin in.

Darcy hasn't gone past anybody, figuratively or literally. The only sense Darcy has gone past Clarke is that he can actually get on the park, otherwise Darcy is miles from AFL ready from the little I've seen.

That doesn't necessarily warrant holding on to Clarke, I agree he's done. But as far as first line genuine rucks go, we've got Sandi and that's it. Darcy with another pre-season might be a different beast, so we'll wait and see, but it is a concern.
He did kick 4 goals last game - in just his 8th League game. Zac Clarke kicked 5 just once at WAFL level - never kicked more than 2 other than that across 64 WAFL games. I think there's a bit to get excited about.

Anyone know how long Hamling is contracted, 3 Years?

Reading on the Doggies board, one of their posters that seems to know quite a bit about their players said Joel got $1.7 million. Interested to know if that's over 3 or 4 years.

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2016-10-18/freo-give-dog-a-home
"The 23-year-old key defender, who played junior football for Cable Beach in Broome, has signed a three-year contract with Fremantle."

Wouldn't pay too much attention to what dogs fans believe his contract is though. Fans that have a player leave them usually bump up the contract offer to make their club look better.
http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/af...s/news-story/2d31a4a7c632ecd46f073be33445241c
"Hamling joins the Dockers on a three-year deal, reportedly worth $1.2 million."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back