Position 2017 Defenders

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

thinking about Nicky Vlastuin, so I decided to do some research of his last couple years

He's played 42/45 matches, only 60% of which were respectable scores (70+)

100+: 4
90-99: 9
80-89: 4
70-79: 8
60-69: 9
50-59: 3
<50: 5

2015: averaged 76 SC points, 15.3 disposals, 5.4 contested, 4.4 marks, 2.7 tackles; kicked 1 goal total
2016: averaged 75 SC points, 15.7 disposals, 5 contested, 5.6 marks, 2.4 tackles; kicked 4 goals total

:thumbsdown:

So with a move into a more attacking role (midfield/forward) on the cards, what does he need to do to make it as a def premo? Let's say an average of 88 is the absolute minimum for a viable D6 premo

for quick comparison, let's look at Devon Smith's 2015: averaged 89 SC points, 19.1 disposals, 6.6 contested, 3.5 marks, 4.9 tackles; kicked 17 goals total

So Nick would have to get 5 more touches a game, get a couple more tackles, and get close to kicking 1 goal per game

I'll obviously be waiting to see how he goes over the JLT, but he's definitely on my radar

thoughts?

thinking about Nicky Vlastuin, so I decided to do some research of his last couple years

2015: averaged 76 SC points, 15.3 disposals, 5.4 contested, 4.4 marks, 2.7 tackles; kicked 1 goal total
2016: averaged 75 SC points, 15.7 disposals, 5 contested, 5.6 marks, 2.4 tackles; kicked 4 goals total

So with a move into a more attacking role (midfield/forward) on the cards, what does he need to do to make it as a def premo? Let's say an average of 88 is the absolute minimum for a viable D6 premo

for quick comparison, let's look at Devon Smith's 2015: averaged 89 SC points, 19.1 disposals, 6.6 contested, 3.5 marks, 4.9 tackles; kicked 17 goals total

So Nick would have to get 5 more touches a game, get a couple more tackles, and get close to kicking 1 goal per game

I'll obviously be waiting to see how he goes over the JLT, but he's definitely on my radar

thoughts?
Unlike Caddy he hasn't moved to a different club or role with guaranteed midfield so its a big old no for me.

Can't play Caddy, Prestia, Cotchin, Dusty, Lambert, Miles, Edwards (he still playing?) s**t pretty much any of their midfielders at half back so it doesn't look good for his scoring.

thoughts?

Try his games where he played as a mid, not a lock down def.

Seymour Skinner mite be able to assist

Dangerfield can't be tagged and Selwood is very difficult to shut out also so opposition coaches will be keen to shut out anyone else possible that may impact a game heavily. I see that player next in line as Tuohy, and I think he will be one of few defenders who will cop tags in 2017. Johannisen and Shaw I also see as potential victims.

If only he was a couple of years younger I'd be all over him.

Finished the year with 8 tonnes in 10 games, 2 games that he didn't tonne up in he scored 88 and 99.

Old legs still pumping in the back half of the year.

Durable and will be required to play some midfield minutes.

Lockity Lock.

Unlike Caddy he hasn't moved to a different club or role with guaranteed midfield so its a big old no for me.

Can't play Caddy, Prestia, Cotchin, Dusty, Lambert, Miles, Edwards (he still playing?) s**t pretty much any of their midfielders at half back so it doesn't look good for his scoring.
Lambert isn't best 22, Miles isn't a lock anymore either given the names you have mentioned and his lack of flexibility, and Edwards will go back to being mainly a forward for the same reason. He will get midfield minutes, and all indications are he will rest forward, not back, when he's not in the middle. Just have to watch JLT to see exactly what that split looks like it will be.

Try his games where he played as a mid, not a lock down def.

Seymour Skinner mite be able to assist
Don't have the exact numbers but he has scored very well in the (rare to this point) games he has been given in the mids

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lambert isn't best 22, Miles isn't a lock anymore either given the names you have mentioned and his lack of flexibility, and Edwards will go back to being mainly a forward for the same reason. He will get midfield minutes, and all indications are he will rest forward, not back, when he's not in the middle. Just have to watch JLT to see exactly what that split looks like it will be.

Don't have the exact numbers but he has scored very well in the (rare to this point) games he has been given in the mids

Fair enough. You picking him?

I love him as a player and would happily have him back home with us but for SC he's too big a risk for me.

While I agree with you his scoring ability without a tagging role, I also think not leaving the club and the Hardwick factor is valid too.

i'm very tempted by Vlaustin, but I have this strange feeling with coaches like Ross and Hardwick.
That strange feeling may require burn creme and a visit to your local GP for a shot of the old local.

That strange feeling may require burn creme and a visit to your local GP for a shot of the old local.

Lost 400 points last year not captaining Dangerfield during his hot spell and having donuts in the bye rounds while finishing top 700.

You could say that I have felt the tingling sensation of SC burn already.

:fire::fire::fire:

Lads...

Pick a Defender between 540k-490K other than Adams, Howe, Rance, Pittard.

Who we like?

JJ a great option, Mcdonald too.

Laird
Gibson

and if you're feeling especially adventurous like me, I'd have a close look at Mills, Tuohy, Vlaustin and Jones to save some coin.

Lads...

Pick a Defender between 540k-490K other than Adams, Howe, Rance, Pittard.

Who we like?

JJ a great option, Mcdonald too.
Laird and JJ for me

Interested in peoples thoughts on Jeremy Howe.
I like him as a player but at 500k he's a bit unproven. Will Bucks move him from that backline sweeper role?

You winding me up?

giphy-28.gif

I'll obviously be waiting to see how he goes over the JLT, but he's definitely on my radar.

thoughts?

The stats aren't the greatest are they, and the sample size of him actually playing in the midfield is about 6 games lol (can't give an exact figure but I'm sure most Tiges supporters would tell you the same), there's a lot of hope and wishful thinking involved in picking Vlas, but it's not totally baseless.
While the Tiges haven't been successful for a long time, but we did make the finals in 3 of Vlastuin's 4 years at the level, so we were winning more than we were losing and Vlas was stuck at in the back pocket, not ideal for scoring points.
Our team as a whole are rubbish at tackling (18th), Vlas had the 10th most of our squad with 2.4 a game, his worst return on tackles for his career so far, hopefully that changes.
He was also a handy shot for goal, has had a few belters streaming through the middle when he first got on the scene, kicked 6 goals in his first seven games before Dimma decided a-hole him.
I don't usually go into the year picking a bloke who I think will be my D6 by the end of the year, but Shaw and Doch/Simmo are too much for me this year, Laird is already locked in and I haven't a clue as who I think will round out the top 6 on average this year.
He's not your Rory Laird kinda BP who racks up 30 touches. 75ish ave for a bloke that's been playing BP for his last 70+ games isn't terrible, but I'm hoping, and I think it's looking pretty likely that we aren't ever gonna see Vlas in the back pocket again : - )
Orrrrrrr he could be your typical mid-price bust lol

Dangerfield can't be tagged and Selwood is very difficult to shut out also so opposition coaches will be keen to shut out anyone else possible that may impact a game heavily. I see that player next in line as Tuohy, and I think he will be one of few defenders who will cop tags in 2017. Johannisen and Shaw I also see as potential victims.

Hadn't considered that, but surely you'd at least have to at least try to curb the influence of Danger or Selwood first. Agree that Shaw and JJ will cop them throughout the year too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back