Strategy 2017 Defensive Lineup

Remove this Banner Ad

DangerIsLove

Cancelled
Oct 23, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
The Cats last year had a pretty decent defence. However now we've lost Enright and Lonergan, Mackie aren't getting any younger.

My defence would be

FB: Thurlow Henderson Kolodjashnij
HB: Stewart Taylor Thuoy

On the Bench: Ruggles,
Others: Bews, Gardner, Cunico, Cowan, Mackie, Lonergan

Last edited:
For me:

FB: Ruggles Henderson Stewart
HB: Thurlow Taylor Touhy

Also in 22: Mackie

Lonergan, Kolo, Bews, Gardner others players that should play regularly but not in my best 22 at this stage.

Real tricky one... We will have some unlucky campers not getting a go.

I'd say as follows:

FB: Thurlow Henderson Kolodjashnij
HB: Stewart Taylor Thuoy

Bench: Ruggles

Unlucky - Lonergan. I still think he is an A-grade shut-down defender.

You could probably play Lonergan FB, and have Henderson and Taylor both swinging forward on occasion - its not like we have a first class CHF atm.

I'm pretty sure he's taking the piss naming six guys 192cm +
The sad thing is that our backline at times this year had all talls except enright and we all got used to it. Ruggles and bews would always be swapping in and out of the team as well as being the 7th player in the defensive rotation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The defense was pretty stout for most of 2016, but no one would accuse the back six of being dynamic in the sense of turning defense into attack quickly.
A defense's primary aim is to repel opposition forward entries and quell their opponents, but if the backline is incapable of quick, decisive ball movement then it curtails a team's ability to counter attack very effectively.

The 2017 defensive line-up loses the incomparable Corey Enright, but gains Tuohy, the returning Thurlow, and promising mature aged recruit Stewart.
We have more options. I suspect we'll carry at least 7 players in the team who are capable and even specialize as defenders, maybe even 8.

The contentious ones in 2016 - barring injury - will be Andrew Mackie, and to a slightly lesser extent Tom Lonergan.

I respect what Mackie has achieved with/for the club, but I thought he looked constantly rushed in 2016, and provided little genuine run and carry nor did he utilize his once-incisive right boot like he used to.
I think he'll be there Rd.1.

I thought Lonergan's form in 2016 was very solid; he cops a bit of stick for not moving the ball on quickly and rarely choosing a creative option, but he is still a very effective stopper and rock solid in the air, whether spoiling or marking.
The issue of course is that we also have Lachie Henderson and Harry Taylor also capable of filling those roles.

My preferred back six:

T. Stewart T. Lonergan J. Bews
Z. Tuohy L. Henderson J. Kolodjashnij

in this scenario, Ruggles is out, Jackson Thurlow eases back into the side in more of a utility role (wing, hb, hf), Harry plays forward (I know; but if there's ever a time to genuinely give this option a fair run, it'll be in the early rounds of next year - Harry or Henderson, anyway) and Mackie is kinda lucky to be in the team at all.

Am I the only one who hates the idea of Taylor as a full time forward? Isn't blessed with pace and doesn't chase, good way to end up with 2 slow forward options that stay at home and don't attack the footy.

No you're not. But because it worked once (against a baby GWS team that barely won a game for the year) and he kicked five it's gonna get an airing every time our defensive options for next year are brought up. Same with playing Hendo up forward, you just dont take your two best defenders out of their best position to play them in a lesser role. If either one of them is playing forward it's because plans A through Y have failed. Which sadly seems to happen a little too often under Scott.

No you're not. But because it worked once (against a baby GWS team that barely won a game for the year) and he kicked five it's gonna get an airing every time our defensive options for next year are brought up. Same with playing Hendo up forward, you just dont take your two best defenders out of their best position to play them in a lesser role. If either one of them is playing forward it's because plans A through Y have failed. Which sadly seems to happen a little too often under Scott.
Henderson at least pushes up the ground and demands the footy, Taylor just stands at full forward and gets the pretty cheap goal against an average defender to be honest.

After the PF effort of Hendo going forward, the concept of either of them with a role that involves them playing forward of centre regularly needs to find, and then remain, at the bottom of the ocean.

Not saying they cant push forward and create a mismatch, or go down there for 5 mins - but any permanent issue... no... just no.

GO Catters

After the PF effort of Hendo going forward, the concept of either of them with a role that involves them playing forward of centre regularly needs to find, and then remain, at the bottom of the ocean.

Not saying they cant push forward and create a mismatch, or go down there for 5 mins - but any permanent issue... no... just no.

GO Catters

This :thumbsu:

I'd like to see something like this:
B: Bews, Lonergan, Taylor
HB: Thurlow, Henderson, Tuohy

Bench rotations from either Stewart, Guthrie or Kolo. Mackie and Ruggles no longer make the grade for me.
Guthrie obviously will rotate into midfield and Thurlow possibly pressing up onto a wing.

Am I the only one who hates the idea of Taylor as a full time forward? Isn't blessed with pace and doesn't chase, good way to end up with 2 slow forward options that stay at home and don't attack the footy.

Nope, not the only one, I'm with you.

The only way I'd consider any of Lonergan, Henderson or Taylor forward is if Hawkins went down with a LTI. Even then I'm dubious. Otherwise I'd rather them all stick to what they do best which is defending and really I think we only have room for two of them in the best 22.

The slow ball movement to protect the slow tall defenders is a big reason for the poor forward structure.

Lonergan was still better than serviceable last year but I think structurally we would have been better off had he retired.

Hard to see how they change things up with Henderson, Taylor and Lonergan all playing plus Kolo, Mackie, maybe Stewart.

Going to be more of 2016s frustrations I would say. Or they try to be more attacking with the same cattle like 2015 and bleed goals on the turnover.

The slow ball movement to protect the slow tall defenders is a big reason for the poor forward structure.

Lonergan was still better than serviceable last year but I think structurally we would have been better off had he retired.

Hard to see how they change things up with Henderson, Taylor and Lonergan all playing plus Kolo, Mackie, Stewart.

Going to be more of 2016s frustrations I would say.
Put taylor forward (he aint the defender he used to be) and go with a three tall setup for a change or put kolo in the reserves until he plays better football then taylor, lonergan or henderson. Dont play mackie in defence anymore. Mackie is probably just back up now unless his form improves as he was awful at the end of this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back