2017 Delistings

Remove this Banner Ad

Ruggles a bit stiff IMO. Was in the side early 2017 and then never got another chance. I would think we are unlikely to get better backup than him with our last pick in the draft.
Can we not pick him up again? Been done before

Can we not pick him up again? Been done before

Plus he will be 26 early in the season. I would rather take a punt on a young kid in the draft.

Club can get ****** honestly for delisting my favourite player. The only actual player we had who shows genuine balls with his mongrel type attitude is now gone.

Don't care about Hayball and don't even know who he is.
You must have had a lean year of enjoyment if he is your favourite player- min games this year.
Bews was much better than anything Ruggles has served up. The days of run-with hitmen are gone, but I loved his tenacity. Just did not like it when he had to dish off the ball.
If he is the best of the rest, we might still reselect him?

I'd love to see us draft Ed Richards - fast, skilled medium sized player that can play both as a running defender as well as further up the ground. Has the body size to almost play first year. I reckon he'd be a great addition to our team.
More broadly removing Ruggles and losing Mackie, Lonergan says to me we will draft a defender of some sort. Maybe more than 1.

We also need some outside speed and class after losing Motlop and imo need small forwards unless we’re placing our fortunes in the lucky dip of Gregson/McCarthy and their questionable durability.

That’s some list holes that need players and there’s only 3 picks we possess that I think we’ll find some decent quality in this draft. Just hope we don’t alleviate the outside speed with Hartung. He’s a crab.

Got cleaned up from behind by the Dawks (toughguy Roughie?) while standing on the mark. Dog act, but at least he kept up the theme. Ruggles was playing well and very stiff.

Thought it was Gibson actually.

Still can't believe why we didn't try him up forward last pre-season. Would've thought his aggression at the ball and defensive pressure was something we were lacking up there all year.

More broadly removing Ruggles and losing Mackie, Lonergan says to me we will draft a defender of some sort. Maybe more than 1.

We also need some outside speed and class after losing Motlop and imo need small forwards unless we’re placing our fortunes in the lucky dip of Gregson/McCarthy and their questionable durability.

That’s some list holes that need players and there’s only 3 picks we possess that I think we’ll find some decent quality in this draft. Just hope we don’t alleviate the outside speed with Hartung. He’s a crab.
To pick up Hartung but to offload Lang makes no sense at all to me. Lang is class.

Ruggles could get a game with a number of clubs. He reminds me of Josh Hunt, the way he charges forward.

Yep, Leoplold, St.Albans, Thomson, Anakie.........

I hope we don't get McKenzie from GC

(Log in to remove this ad.)

how many free list spots do we have now? 7-8. here comes four more draft picks above 60 again.

we have been told time and time again wells is a magician late in the draft, he can really find a diamond in the rough

he will be in his element

we have been told time and time again wells is a magician late in the draft, he can really find a diamond in the rough

he will be in his element
giphy.gif

STOP DISSIN' WELLSY :mad::straining::p

To pick up Hartung but to offload Lang makes no sense at all to me. Lang is class.

Jon Ralph says two key stats could pose a problem for former Hawthorn midfielder Billy Hartung’s chances at finding a new club via delisted free agency.

Despite the 22-year-old playing 56 games for the Hawks across the past three seasons, Ralph says his tackling and contested possession numbers could be a knock on his hopes of a finding a new home.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/10/30/do-these-stats-mean-trouble-for-ex-hawk's-future/

gees for a club that doesnt have much depth why would we get rid of a player capable of doing a job at afl level? did we learn nothing from all our injuries this year. how many free list spots do we have now? 7-8. here comes four more draft picks above 60 again.

I agree our depth will be tested.
We'll also have 4 picks below 60 (22,24,35,58) and 1 above (72), if Parsons gets elevated. If we add a delisted free agent, then all our 4 picks will be under 60.

Ruggles reminds me of david johnson. Solid depth but nothing more.

Hayball is s**t. I'm pissed we are wasting a rookie pick on him

I got no idea on this but is the man who delists & retires blokes, asks guys if they're keen to be traded to x club when clubs have asked about them, goes after free agents, does the trade negiotating & drafting from both rookie and national drafts the same person? Is it one guy who does this? I know the coach would have some say but predominantly is this all done by Wells? Am I missing someone?

I hope not but if Bews gets injured in 2018 they're gonna cop it and I'll love every minute of it. Only a very small portion of people wanted Ruggles gone and the people who actually matter were apart of it.

Ruggles was great. To me, he was the last thing reminding me of the glory days 2007-2011 even though he wasn't here then nor was he a teammate of any of the guys he reminds me of. He reminded me of the guys like Chappy, Moons, Hunt, Scarlo and Dasher who were hard at it and now he's gone that edge is entirely gone, dead and buried for me. You can say a guy like Joel Selwood is hard at it but there's something very different if you compare him to the blokes I've listed - lacks the absolute mongrel and ferocity that these blokes all had.

I'm not sure if he will get another chance elsewhere - I sure hope so but whatever happens I wish The Ruggler the best.
Yeah Loved the Rug. He punched Cyril in the guts!
Genuinely tried to take the game on too. Had a go that's for sure. Hope he gets picked up by another club.

I got no idea on this but is the man who delists & retires blokes, asks guys if they're keen to be traded to x club when clubs have asked about them, goes after free agents, does the trade negiotating & drafting from both rookie and national drafts the same person? Is it one guy who does this? I know the coach would have some say but predominantly is this all done by Wells? Am I missing someone?
If amongst all that you are asking if they would have considered trading Ruggles:

“I still think I’ve got something to give to the AFL and (I) still want to play,” Ruggles said.

“I came in as a 24-year-old and I’m not ready to go out yet.

“So if I have to continue (my career) somewhere else, that’s what’s going to have to happen.”

I would suggest that if a trade presented itself then both the player and the club would have been open to discussions - so for all we know, no other club made and enquires or offers. Doubtful the club would have denied trade options when delisting was seen as the end result rather than a new contract.

I wouldn't be surprised if the nail on his coffin at the club was the development of Zuthrie over the second half of the season who continued to do the job asked of him - and one can expect that Zuthrie would have more improvement in him than Ruggles would.

Maybe no other club saw any value in Ruggles for the same reason others on here have suggested - while he may present with mongrel, clubs will want more and his disposal let's him down too often.

If amongst all that you are asking if they would have considered trading Ruggles:

“I still think I’ve got something to give to the AFL and (I) still want to play,” Ruggles said.

“I came in as a 24-year-old and I’m not ready to go out yet.

“So if I have to continue (my career) somewhere else, that’s what’s going to have to happen.”

I would suggest that if a trade presented itself then both the player and the club would have been open to discussions - so for all we know, no other club made and enquires or offers. Doubtful the club would have denied trade options when delisting was seen as the end result rather than a new contract.

I wouldn't be surprised if the nail on his coffin at the club was the development of Zuthrie over the second half of the season who continued to do the job asked of him - and one can expect that Zuthrie would have more improvement in him than Ruggles would.

Maybe no other club saw any value in Ruggles for the same reason others on here have suggested - while he may present with mongrel, clubs will want more and his disposal let's him down too often.
Maybe a club like GC could use him as a DFA?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back