2017 Delistings

Remove this Banner Ad

Really disappointed with Ruggles being delisted. We've just had two defenders retire, and only have untried kids as defenders for depth. Ruggles would have been very handy depth coverage for injuries. Doesn't set the world on fire but can do a decent job. Combine that with persevering with Hayball who has shown nothing is baffling.

Ruggles could get a game with a number of clubs. He reminds me of Josh Hunt, the way he charges forward.
The same Josh Hunt who was on Davis in ‘05 semi, Dew in ‘08 granny and was so bad in ‘13 prelim he got subbed early? Gee that makes me wish we keep Ruggles forever.

I wouldn't be surprised if the nail on his coffin at the club was the development of Zuthrie over the second half of the season who continued to do the job asked of him - and one can expect that Zuthrie would have more improvement in him than Ruggles would.

Maybe no other club saw any value in Ruggles for the same reason others on here have suggested - while he may present with mongrel, clubs will want more and his disposal let's him down too often.

At last....Zuthrie is a class above Ruggles with a ton of upside. Composed, good delivery and has time when in possession....all the things Ruggles doesn't have. I hope he gets a gig elsewhere...but if we are angling for a GF, then we have little hope of getting there if we need to rely on Ruggles.

A good ordinary player. I say, lets look for a kid in the draft. If we pick up Mathew Ling, Ruggles will be a distant memory.

The Ruggles delisting makes me think we will be in range for Garner with our first pick. Unlucky for Ruggles. I think they made the right decision on Hayball. Best of luck to both.

On Moto G (5) using BigFooty.com mobile app

Whoever we could draft to fill that position.

If we say our best defence (6 + a bench player) is Taylor, Tuohy, Bews, Stewart, Henderson, Kolo and Zuthrie (bold call I know), then that leaves Thurlow, Guthrie as reserve medium smalls and neither had a great 2017. With untried Gardner and House for tall defence depth it does look a little thin imo.

I’d have personally kept Ruggles but I do doubt his absence will have a cataclysmic effect on the Geelong Footy Club so not worth melting over.
This. He had something we could use at times, but not absolutely a required player.
Wasn't he a big part of that dust-up with Port? I hope some of the other guys show a little more in defense of their mates.

More broadly removing Ruggles and losing Mackie, Lonergan says to me we will draft a defender of some sort. Maybe more than 1.

We also need some outside speed and class after losing Motlop and imo need small forwards unless we’re placing our fortunes in the lucky dip of Gregson/McCarthy and their questionable durability.

That’s some list holes that need players and there’s only 3 picks we possess that I think we’ll find some decent quality in this draft. Just hope we don’t alleviate the outside speed with Hartung. He’s a crab.

Kpd: hendo HT kolo gardner house (plus blicavs)
Small defenders: bews tuohy zuthrie
Medium defenders: Stewart Thurlow Guthrie o'connor

Thats plenty.
Compared to
Wing-Parsons maybe, Cunico and Murdoch
Small forward- McCarthy Gregson Jones Narkle
Key forward-Hawkins Stanley Buzza Black Ratugolea

I know which list i think is the thinnest and it's not the defenders.

gees for a club that doesnt have much depth why would we get rid of a player capable of doing a job at afl level? did we learn nothing from all our injuries this year. how many free list spots do we have now? 7-8. here comes four more draft picks above 60 again.

We have 4 picks before 60 (22 24 35 58) and we are not taking any new rookies this year hence not many late picks this year.

Thats plenty.
Compared to

Some of that is best case scenario though.

Gardner and House are uncapped.
Zuthrie whilst promising is in his career infancy.
Thurlow is coming off a bad season after injury, who's to say whether that repeats and is the norm or whether he has a good season?
Guthrie and Stewart is fair enough, but come on, you're taking the piss with O'Connor surely?

Thurlow is coming off a bad season after injury, who's to say whether that repeats and is the norm or whether he has a good season?
Guthrie and Stewart is fair enough, but come on, you're taking the piss with O'Connor surely?

There is risk with all of it but realistically bews tuohy both guthries stewart and thurlow are at this time much more solid prospects than cunico/murdoch mccarthy/parsons/gregson/narkle, highlighting our comparison of qualities in each position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thats plenty
Compared to

Lol at the defenders listed. HT is good but is nearly cooked. Henderson gets spanked everytime he has to play on an opponent. House is delist material. Kolo has not improved since his first season. Gardiner is unproven. Blicavs lol

Medium and small defenders we are ok.

Mccarthy and gregson have a make or break year ahead. Mccarthy is 24 and has done nothing. Probably get delisted at the end of the year. Gregson has massive injuries to overcome which is doubtful.

We actually have plenty of key forwards on the list. Hawkins buzza stanley and rat. Problem is they are all crap except hawkins. One will be delisted next year. Likely to be rat

Definately need another winger or 2. Cunico and murdock and average. Could tuohy or guthrie play wing?

The fact that Ruggles was dominating in the VFL for weeks prior to getting injured, while Kolo and Thurlow were in mediocre form at best, suggests there's more to it than form. I'd say there was a clash of personalities somewhere. I think Ruggles has been hard done by, and I hope he gets a go somewhere else and does well for himself.

The fact that Ruggles was dominating in the VFL for weeks prior to getting injured, while Kolo and Thurlow were in mediocre form at best, suggests there's more to it than form. I'd say there was a clash of personalities somewhere. I think Ruggles has been hard done by, and I hope he gets a go somewhere else and does well for himself.
I saw some vfl games that Ruggles had high possies, they wern''t much he kicked to himself a lot to increase his numbers, turned the ball over and was ineffectual. Good honest player lacking the class to play AFL so was delisted. end of story. Cats got this one right IMO. Hope he gets a gig elsewhere .

I'm confused on the timings - Ruggles was in the side through to round 4, when he then missed round 5 due to injury.

Thurlow played alongside him through those first 4 rounds and then was only seen in rounds 5 & 7 until he returned in round 19 - so Thurlow didn't keep him out - he played one match that Ruggles would have been available to play.

As for Kolo, when you say he was struggling - was that when he was playing as a pure defender and ranked 4th in the lead for one-on-one contests, where he only lost 11% of them? And if that's struggling, then I hope Kolo continues to struggle like that next season.

Don't forget that Kolo was playing as 3rd tall with Taylor still playing forward, so not a position that Ruggles would be playing.

Prior to his injury in the vfl, Ruggles was kept out of the side by an improving Bews and later in the season it was the likes of Zuthie leapfrogging him that saw him stay in the vfl.

O'Connor is still a form of depth, but he's a midfielder not a defender. Admittedly the jury is still very out on that particular Irish experiment but I have faith.

I saw some vfl games that Ruggles had high possies, they wern''t much he kicked to himself a lot to increase his numbers, turned the ball over and was ineffectual.

Nah, that's a little unfair. I'll admit his disposal was not terrific in the AFL, but I watched a few of those VFL games and a disproportionate number of those turnovers were from winning the ball deep in defense and then having nothing to kick to. Considering how s**t our VFL midfield was this year, it's not surprising.

I'd have been tempted to plop Ruggles on a HFF as a defensive forward in the AFL. Say what you like about his disposal, he tackles for keeps and that's one thing our forwards do not do.

At last....Zuthrie is a class above Ruggles with a ton of upside. Composed, good delivery and has time when in possession....all the things Ruggles doesn't have. I hope he gets a gig elsewhere...but if we are angling for a GF, then we have little hope of getting there if we need to rely on Ruggles.

A good ordinary player. I say, lets look for a kid in the draft. If we pick up Mathew Ling, Ruggles will be a distant memory.

I liked Tom allot and was sad to see and hear of him being delisted. I would agree though Zuthrie offers more. A couple of things stick in mind;
1. Mark he held at the G
2. The kick out of defence that was part of the Stanley highlight reel.
He has nice disposal and can go fwd.

I really hope Tom gets a gig somewhere else or ends up back in our VFL team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

but if we are angling for a GF, then we have little hope of getting there if we need to rely on Ruggles.

could the same be said about black, horlin smith and blivacs?

you just hope that this time next year we are not asking the same about stanley, gregson, mccarthy

could the same be said about black, horlin smith and blivacs?

you just hope that this time next year we are not asking the same about stanley, gregson, mccarthy

You're probably right....though I wouldn't include Blicavs in that category....like you, I'm very hopeful about McCarthy and Gregson...I think they have shown enough to warrant time on the list. I just think Ruggles was unlucky with injury, and forced out by the form and potential of Zuthrie, the arrival of Stewart, the rise of Bews and the retention of Thurlow. I suspect they might have an eye on a draft choice that would add to our stocks in that area.

Like Nickoo I liked Ruggles, but he is excess to needs IMO. Hopefully he gets a gig elsewhere.

I really didn’t like seeing Ruggles leave I’d have to say, I thought he was behind Touhy, Bews and Guthrie but a serviceable depth player.

I think our depth may come to bite us on the ass, we can’t keep selling off established players, Ruggles showed enough to atleast make the VFL squad. Makes me wondering if there was more to it in terms of attitude, always seemed like a humble guy.

Not a fan of Hayball either, wouldn’t even bother with the re-rookie, has shown bigger all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back