2017 Delistings

Remove this Banner Ad

I heard on superfioty podcast (w Anthony Hudson) that Chris Scott told a significant number of players, in their exit interviews, not to assume they will be with the Cats in 2018. No names given.

Anyone know more about this?

I think this is a made up number. Even if it were true it means little as other than lang and ruggles basically everyone is contracted for next year so if that many players were going Wells would have to arrange trades for each player as i doubt we will delist and pay out contracts, and Scott has little to do with that stuff.

The most Scott can say to 10 players is 'you will be playing mainly vfl next year unless we get a stack of injuries' and that's about it.

I think this is a made up number. Even if it were true it means little as other than lang and ruggles basically everyone is contracted for next year so if that many players were going Wells would have to arrange trades for each player as i doubt we will delist and pay out contracts, and Scott has little to do with that stuff.

The most Scott can say to 10 players is 'you will be playing mainly vfl next year unless we get a stack of injuries' and that's about it.
My guess is that several have been advised that they may be best off looking for outside opportunities, but there'll still be a place at the club for them next year if they prefer.

I think we have carried some dead weight for far more years then most clubs would.

Players like GHS, Murdoch, Cowan, and McCarthy ( who I do rate) all would have been moved on years ago by most clubs. Also most of the fringe players that have left have shown very little.
Kersten lol
Walker
Gore
Smedts
Hunt
Jansen
Vardy was ok but we still held him to long
Christensen

Have all done nothing or very little.

The reigning premiers have a few who would be seen as dead weight if you measured them on their H&A season only. I'm sure Tiger supporters would have happily moved them on elsewhere given half a chance.

There will always be a bottom or 8. It's how you use them that can make a difference. I didn't follow Richmond at all closely but I would be surprised if they were chopping and changing at the selection table like Geelong. If we'd had a reasonable run with injuries we might have given it a better shot. Earning the double chance with a settled side chosen from the full healthy list is the launch pad you work for all year. We got the spot but were hampered by injuries from the very beginning.

Que sera sera

My guess is that several have been advised that they may be best off looking for outside opportunities, but there'll still be a place at the club for them next year if they prefer.

That is more likely to be accurate it just doesn't make as good a headline.

The reigning premiers have a few who would be seen as dead weight if you measured them on their H&A season only. I'm sure Tiger supporters would have happily moved them on elsewhere given half a chance.

There will always be a bottom or 8. It's how you use them that can make a difference. I didn't follow Richmond at all closely but I would be surprised if they were chopping and changing at the selection table like Geelong. If we'd had a reasonable run with injuries we might have given it a better shot. Earning the double chance with a settled side chosen from the full healthy list is the launch pad you work for all year. We got the spot but were hampered by injuries from the very beginning.

Que sera sera

Yes you make good points - we had no continuity - always unsettled. Here are the changes for RD 15

IN Henderson,Buzza, Black,Smith,Simpson, ZGuthrie
OUT J Selwood (Omitted),Stewart (Facial Fracture), Menzel (Omitted), SSelwood (Hamstring), GHS (Ankle), Lang (Leg)
NEW Wylie Buzza,Sam Simpson,Zach Guthrie

And moving on we had sus suspensions (Hawkins and Duncan) and more injuries Cockatoo, Guthrie, Parsons.

Having a settled best 25 is not mandatory ( Bulldogs being a noteable exception last year ) but it is a big plus.

SHocking stated quite clearly pre-game (last home game I think) on ABC that the list will be scrutinsed and changes will happen. So a fair size turnover has been flagged.

I was thinking about straight delistings. Not trade.
Some guys might be safe or could be out depending on other trade though - no point delisting guys now and then not having replacement options because a trade doesn't come through.

Someone like Hayball seems an obvious delist, but come the end of trade week we might have spare spots on our list compared with current expectations, so we might offer him another year rather than using pick 99 in the draft

Hayballs probably the only other delistings rest are trades/FA.
Motlop/menzel poss FA out
May lose one or two of lang/ghs/murdoch/thurlow types in ablett trade
Depends how many trade ins as to how many list spots we need. Other than lang and ruggles and hayball basically everyone else has signed.

Can I ask why Hayball is likely to be delisted?

Can I ask why Hayball is likely to be delisted?

Mainly because 4 rookie list players including 2 physically raw 1st year rookies and an irish export played seniors ahead of him while he was fit all year, this is not a good sign for him. And his stats at vfl level were pretty average.

Secondly him lang and ruggles are the only three players left OOC (as far as i know) so if we need to free up list spots after trade week he is the most 'delistable' of the 3 IMO.

If he survives on the list it will be by a very small margin IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure but if so then he would be our Toby Greene. If he is half the forward Toby is then we have a good one there.
But can he karate kick an opponent's head?

Could he turn himself into a pressure forward?
The boy can play , would hate to see him go TBH

His big problem is that he cannot hit targets by foot. A bit of an issue for a defender or forward.

His big problem is that he cannot hit targets by foot. A bit of an issue for a defender or forward.
Agree The rabbi
His action is very sound and whilst I haven't studied the results in detail he has some howlers - maybe it's a confidence thing as a few have seemed as if he pulls the kick mid action
He , along with a few others need to go back to basics this preseason and hone their skills under pressure :(

`

But surely that is why we have coaches-development and skills coaches- to teach players how to play. Then again right now that seems like an overstretch of our coaching squad

But surely that is why we have coaches-development and skills coaches- to teach players how to play. Then again right now that seems like an overstretch of our coaching squad

Bomber Thompson's squad could not get Kent Kingsley, Matthew McCarthy or Kane Tenace to kick either. Some one this forum could probably come up with more examples.
I am of the belief that these skills are formed very early and poor kicking skills are hard to eradicate from players who have not had good instruction when they were kids.

To blame the coaching squad for a mature age player's inability to hit a target is poor form.
I like Hawthorn's idea. If you cannot deliver the ball by foot we are simply not interested in drafting you.

I've just noticed we still have the following players out of contract (that haven't been talked as trade options, delistings, or retirements):

Cory Gregson
Jack Henry
Jamaine Jones
Lincoln McCarthy
Matthew Hayball
Ryan Gardner
Sam Simpson
Tom Ruggles
Zach Guthrie

Zuthrie and Simpson are chances to get upgraded, what happens with the rest? You'd think we'd hold onto Henry and Jones, though Cornell only got one year on the rookie list. Gregson and McCarthy could get put on the rookie list due to their injury concerns. The rest (Hayball, Gardner, Ruggles) are in strife.

I've just noticed we still have the following players out of contract (that haven't been talked as trade options, delistings, or retirements):

Cory Gregson
Jack Henry
Jamaine Jones
Lincoln McCarthy
Matthew Hayball
Ryan Gardner
Sam Simpson
Tom Ruggles
Zach Guthrie

Zuthrie and Simpson are chances to get upgraded, what happens with the rest? You'd think we'd hold onto Henry and Jones, though Cornell only got one year on the rookie list. Gregson and McCarthy could get put on the rookie list due to their injury concerns. The rest (Hayball, Gardner, Ruggles) are in strife.
I don't think we'll upgrade any rookies as the new cba lets them play without being upgraded. Are you sure Gregson is out of contract?

Cory Gregson
Jack Henry
Jamaine Jones
Lincoln McCarthy
Matthew Hayball
Ryan Gardner
Sam Simpson
Tom Ruggles
Zach Guthrie

Ryan Gardner is contracted for 2018 and I suspect that there are a few more on that list that are contracted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back