Opinion Derailed Off-Topic Thread / Are You Bored With Life? discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not even close to similar. There's nothing to suggest our medical staff have NFI. Mackay is criticised because after 150 games in his best year since 2009 he finished 22nd in the b&f. Off the back of averaging about 25th the previous 3 years.

Hahaha let's see how our first rounder in 2015 progresses against what we should have picked up

What are the current indications on that

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Which is more irrational... NTRabbit vs the Crouch Bros, or marty36 vs Doedee/Burton?

I would say the Doedee obsession. Why are poeple comparing them based on AFL appearances when the fortunes of the side are totally different. If the Crows were in the Hawks position, Doedee and the other rookies would be getting games. If the Hawks drafted Burton when they had an established and balanced side he would be in the VFL. Right now its an apples and oranges comparison.

I would say the Doedee obsession. Why are poeple comparing them based on AFL appearances when the fortunes of the side are totally different. If the Crows were in the Hawks position, Doedee and the other rookies would be getting games. If the Hawks drafted Burton when they had an established and balanced side he would be in the VFL. Right now its an apples and oranges comparison.

Then elite will give me a bet then, how about it Elite 1 or 2 Gorillas

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Four Corners on at the moment. Ex sportsmen talk about life after. Very interesting. After the Game documentary was shown on SBS a while ago.
The ABC cops a fair bit of flack these days but they really do have some quality docos. I really enjoy landline as well. Nothing it there covers Australia like that.

The ABC cops a fair bit of flack these days but they really do have some quality docos. I really enjoy landline as well. Nothing it there covers Australia like that.

It's not factual coverage that's wrong with the ABC! It's the lack of diverse opinion.
Which is ok for a private media channel but a public one can't get away with.

It's not factual coverage that's wrong with the ABC! It's the lack of diverse opinion.

Really depends what programs/channels you're considering. I'd say if you rated the entire ABC you'd find it's easily the most diverse in Australia when you factor in all the shows they have across tv and radio and then their online content. On any "opinion" shows they do a pretty good job of including people from various other media empires. I remember reading a study some years ago that rated their coverage of all parties in election years and it was an almost perfect split. They're also consistently rated the most unbiased and factual by media surveys.

For instance it does drive me nuts how much time Offsiders spends on sports I don't care about (A League/NRL), but hey at least they're spreading the coverage across a broad range of sports.

they obviously lean left on the spectrum - especially on programs like Q&A - but they're pretty liberal about potting either major parties when they deserve it.

we should be glad that a public funded media company isn't a mouthpiece for the state IMO. Clarke and Dawe for example started on Channel 9, but got shut down immediately after a change of hands to a mob who couldn't cop the criticism... we're more fortunate than you may realise to have something like the ABC to host that sort of content.

they obviously lean left on the spectrum - especially on programs like Q&A - but they're pretty liberal about potting either major parties when they deserve it.

we should be glad that a public funded media company isn't a mouthpiece for the state IMO. Clarke and Dawe for example started on Channel 9, but got shut down immediately after a change of hands to a mob who couldn't cop the criticism... we're more fortunate than you may realise to have something like the ABC to host that sort of content.

They lean left because they pay much lower than the other channels so the people who work there are generally young, at the start of their careers so care about young people things (education, environment) which is generally more on the left side of politics.

They lean left because they pay much lower than the other channels so the people who work there are generally young, at the start of their careers so care about young people things (education, environment) which is generally more on the left side of politics.
yeah I know, I was going to mention it but didn't want to assume how big the "corporate mouthpiece of the month" bonuses at News Corp are :p

and don't anyone get me wrong by the way, I think its absolutely vital both points of view get plenty of airtime and there are a hell of a lot of good points from the right that the left should bloody well listen to (and vice versa). Both sides collectively need to get their head out of their arses.

Don't misunderstand me mate.... I'm a big fan but I do see where the criticism comes from.
My own personal views are not necessarily where the rest of country or the western world seems to be.

Don't misunderstand me mate.... I'm a big fan but I do see where the criticism comes from.
My own personal views are not necessarily where the rest of country or the western world seems to be.

The issue comes with people thinking that 'fair and balanced' means that people who have no evidence to back up their beliefs should he heard as an equal. Basically, no, they shouldn't be heard on an equal footing. The outcry about 'free speech' being stifled when we have no such thing in Australia annoys me.

we could of course have wildly different personal views but I'm right with you there mate lol

The issue comes with people thinking that 'fair and balanced' means that people who have no evidence to back up their beliefs should he heard as an equal. Basically, no, they shouldn't be heard on an equal footing. The outcry about 'free speech' being stifled when we have no such thing in Australia annoys me.

I agree with your point Nikki but the issue is that the ABC is a government funded institution!
And as such an easy target when they get it wrong, as the recent Yasmin tweet shows.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back