Opinion Derailed Off-Topic Thread / Are You Bored With Life? discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

When a person equates objectification of women and objectification of men they are misunderstanding the situation. It is not so much the objectification itself that is inherently bad, it is the underlying social pressures, expectations and norms that make objectification of women bad and objectification of men less so, because for men there does not exist a historical and cultural position of subservance and victimisation at the hands of the opposite sex in terms of domestic and sexual violence.

Ever felt like society puts sex on a pedestal? Like you have to have it and if you don't you're not a real man? I wonder what impact that has on the importance men place on sex?

No, a proper analysis would not focus on the individual level or the individuals 'blame'.

The problem is you neither understand the issues you've raised, nor really do you care about them. You only raise men's issues, because it allows you to be upset at the idea that people might want to improve society's treatment of women, not because you'd like to improve the situation.
that's complete bullshit, especially the bolded part.

this is just a completely typical attempt to disengage from a conversation you don't have anything of substance to add to.

if you don't want to focus on the individual level don't, but lets hear what you do have.

Ever felt like society puts sex on a pedestal? Like you have to have it and if you don't you're not a real man? I wonder what impact that has on the importance men place on sex?
Some interesting discussion here.

Personally, there have been times of my life when I've put undue pressure on myself (with societal pressure perhaps being a factor) to 'perform' very well for my partner. Eventually I put myself under so much pressure that I wasn't enjoying that stuff at all, and she could definitely pick up on it.

And on the rare occasions when I've felt like I was being objectified or physically admired by women, I've enjoyed it thoroughly. Felt like years of hard work in the gym was being rewarded.

There was a social media post that got widely shared around last year. In it, two young ladies posted a beach picture showing their huge ripped abs. A bloke commented 'Y'all think that's attractive? ... okay'. This drew widespread criticism and people saying 'Do you think she works out to please men like you?' 'You go girl!', et cetera, et cetera.

This is a very thought-provoking topic.

Drugs Are Bad Mackay? now that I've remembered, you know all those abusive PMs we get from posters behind the scenes, what's the deal with publishing them with redacted names, for everyone's amusement? I think it would be hilarious for posters to see some of the dross we get sent.
giphy.gif

that's complete bullshit, especially the bolded part.

this is just a completely typical attempt to disengage from a conversation you don't have anything of substance to add to.

if you don't want to focus on the individual level don't, but lets hear what you do have.

Nothing bullshit about it, your motivation is plain on its face by your conduct to date.

In so far as I'm willing to waste time trying to explain relatively simple concepts to you: discussions on constructions of masculinity and potential negative effects are largely and sensibly discussions about roles imposed on a societal level, not individual blamings of persons who may suffer under such roles.

Nothing bullshit about it, your motivation is plain on its face by your conduct to date.

In so far as I'm willing to waste time trying to explain relatively simple concepts to you: discussions on constructions of masculinity and potential negative effects are largely and sensibly discussions about roles imposed on a societal level, not individual blamings of persons who may suffer under such roles.
this is why I kicked up a fuss earlier, calling the typical representation of "masculinity" a social construction is anti-intellectual in the extreme - the assertion is hardly any different from the equally preposterous claim that being gay is a choice.

this is why I kicked up a fuss earlier, calling the typical representation of "masculinity" a social construction is anti-intellectual in the extreme - the assertion is hardly any different from the equally preposterous claim that being gay is a choice.

No, you kicked up a fuss because it allows you to push your barrow- which is as I've said it is. Fundamentally you're not happy with the idea that women could advocate to improve their treatment in society.

That's why you immediately inserted yourself into a complaint largely based out of grievance that a woman had advocated against objectification of women.

The statements which you've suggested are not akin, but it's not necessary to follow that red herring to it's end, as in any event, my comment was not that everything which can be associated with masculinity is a social construct, nor need it be. It is enough to be able to acknowledge that some of what in a society is considered to be masculinity may be a construct, that it can be influenced, and that it can be harmful if that occurs some ways.

Indeed, were you sharp enough to grasp it, that society can drive 'masculine' behaviour with poor results behaviour was your initial concern when you complained that body imagine issues arising from sexual objectification can lead to young men abusing steroids, for instance. That you would now turn around and try to explain this away with pre-determinism could only raise questions about your motives in raising it in the first place (if that were really your view).

Fundamentally you're not happy with the idea that women could advocate to improve their treatment in society.
you really could not be more wrong about that.

the grievance was about a poster's double standards by the way, not speaking out about objectification.

but that's OK, take the faulty presupposition and run with it for all I care.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How does the surname Blicavs get pronounced Blitzars.
It's like something out of Monty Python.

he’s tweeted at and retweeted “anonymous randoms” a lot of times both as a celebrity and as a president.
Show me where he got into a Twitter “slanging match” with an “anonymous random” whilst he has been President.

Unfortunately, I don’t blindly believe what people tell me on the internet. I require proof.

Or you can keep moving the goalposts.

EDIT: Yep, even with your edit, you have yet to provide proof to that claim.

Show me where he got into a Twitter “slanging match” with an “anonymous random” whilst he has been President.

Unfortunately, I don’t blindly believe what people tell me on the internet. I require proof.

Or you can keep moving the goalposts.

EDIT: Yep, even with your edit, you have yet to provide proof to that claim.

I don’t really get what your point is? Trump’s social media antics are unpresidential and childish. He routinely gets in to arguments with media, comedians, sports people and even randoms. People at one stage were talking about suing him for blocking them.

He acts fairly similarly to a number of juvenile AFL media types.

I don’t really get what your point is? Trump’s social media antics are unpresidential and childish. He routinely gets in to arguments with media, comedians, sports people and even randoms. People at one stage were talking about suing him for blocking them.

He acts fairly similarly to a number of juvenile AFL media types.
You don’t get my point? I couldn’t be any clearer.

- Someone made a claim.
- I asked for evidence backing up that claim.
- You weighed in, in defence of that claim.
- Again I asked for evidence.
- You posted unrelated data that does not back up that claim.

What are you confused about? We are not debating Trump’s personality here.

- Someone made a claim.

One occasion of him slagging off at a random. There are more if you want to go through his tweets http://www.trumptwitterarchive.com

- Someone made a claim.

You seem to be getting pretty worked up over some throw away comments. Go release some frustration at a random on twitter. Seems to work for POTUS

One occasion of him slagging off at a random. There are more if you want to go through his tweets http://www.trumptwitterarchive.com
So, you had to go back 4 years to find something. You had to go back to before he was President and still all you can find is a single tweet. Hardly a “slanging match”. A slanging match suggests a back and forth.

Your original statement was:

“The President of the United States getting into a Twitter slanging match with an anonymous random.”

The President of the United States.

You seem to be getting pretty worked up over some throw away comments. Go release some frustration at a random on twitter. Seems to work for POTUS
Asking for proof of a claim is “getting worked up”? Lol. Seriously.

Be prepared to be called out if you try to peddle untruths.

- Someone made a claim.

Are you seriously arguing that Trump doesn't argue with randoms on Twitter? o_O

So, you had to go back 4 years to find something. You had to go back to before he was President and still all you can find is a single tweet. Hardly a “slanging match”. A slanging match suggests a back and forth.

Your original statement was:

“The President of the United States getting into a Twitter slanging match with an anonymous random.”

The President of the United States.
Actually I just pulled up a page from his archives and did a quick scan for @ tags. Took about 30 seconds.

I'm going to need an official source on the official definition of slanging match that shows that there needs to be back and forth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back