U18 Champs 2017 Division II National Championships

Remove this Banner Ad

Kids do get a choice if they want to be in the academy or not. Blakey wanted to be in it so can't begrudge his choice

Rofl.

The AFL have disbanded the NSW & QLD u/18's sides. The Allies get picked out of the Academy teams/TAS/NT

What other options are there for a NSW/QLD player now?

Rofl.

The AFL have disbanded the NSW & QLD u/18's sides. The Allies get picked out of the Academy teams/TAS/NT

hmmm every kid in the NSW and QLD teams last year belonged to one academy or another.

Just in case you're not up to speed, every single kid in QLD who shows any little bit of talent is signed to an academy. If the kid is not in at 12 years of age, then shows talent at 14 years of age, he'll get signed up asap.

I'm sure it will be the same in NSW, minus the regions taken from GWS.

I can guarantee, you'll get no support from any of the academy teams supporters. We get f all support from fans of the Melbourne clubs.

hmmm every kid in the NSW and QLD teams last year belonged to one academy or another.

Just in case you're not up to speed, every single kid in QLD who shows any little bit of talent is signed to an academy. If the kid is not in at 12 years of age, then shows talent at 14 years of age, he'll get signed up asap.

I'm sure it will be the same in NSW, minus the regions taken from GWS.

I can guarantee, you'll get no support from any of the academy teams supporters. We get f all support from fans of the Melbourne clubs.

This is my point.

The academies render F/S useless in QLD & NSW.

For VIC/WA/SA clubs, your FS's basically have to be raised in VIC/WA/SA/NT/TAS otherwise QLD and NSW sides will just automatically add them to an academy, regardless of talent because it circumvents the F/S process.

You mean before academies existed?
Charlie Cameron would be a good example of a player that spent the first 17 years of his life in Queensland and went on to make it without entering any academy. He played one year of junior football while in high school in Brisbane but wasn't invited to join either QLD academy (I think he was eligible for the Suns' academy due to his history in north-western Queensland). Then he moved over to WA and got picked up by the Crows after working his way through the WAFL ranks.

Now that's probably Gold Coast's fault for not doing enough homework at the grassroots level but it just goes to show Queenslanders and New South Welshmen can still make it without joining the northern academies. I'm sure the Suns would love to have Cameron in their ranks right about now.
Probably not the thread for it, but FS should supersede an academy selection.
Can't help but think you only care because you're likely to miss out on Blakey and Scott over the next 18 months.

This is my point.

The academies render F/S useless in QLD & NSW.

For VIC/WA/SA clubs, your FS's basically have to be raised in VIC/WA/SA/NT/TAS otherwise QLD and NSW sides will just automatically add them to an academy, regardless of talent because it circumvents the F/S process.
Yup and your point is....

You do realise North Melbourne isn't the only team that has Father Son dibs on Nick Blakey and Bailey Scott. Blakey has the choice of North Melbourne or Brisbane under the father son rule, and Scott has the choice between North Melbourne and Geelong under the father son rule.

Even though Blakey is tied to the Sydney Academy, he spent some time over the summer training at the Brisbane Lions when all the Lions F/S kids were up training at the club.

, Screen Shot 2017-04-10 at 8.40.53 pm.png

Rofl.

The academy sides aren't actually as hard and fast as you seem to think they are.

Brander and Spargo are in the GWS academy sides despite not being eligible. If this setup applied last year we probably would've seen Todd Marshall in the GWS academy team and Ben Davis in the Swans academy team despite neither being eligible for selection by those clubs. That's before accounting for guys like Himmelberg and Weller who were academy members but ineligible for academy nomination due to residency requirements.

Really it's just a way to split the big states in two now that they've started improving their talent.

You do realise North Melbourne isn't the only team that has Father Son dibs on Nick Blakey and Bailey Scott. Blakey has the choice of North Melbourne or Brisbane under the father son rule, and Scott has the choice between North Melbourne and Geelong under the father son rule.

Even though Blakey is tied to the Sydney Academy, he spent some time over the summer training at the Brisbane Lions when all the Lions F/S kids were up training at the club.

,View attachment 356172

I realise that on both parts, but as academy sides have full time training access from 12 years of age in their home states and F/S prospects aren't allowed into clubs other than glorified clinics, it's pretty easy to recognise what trend this is going to follow.

Point I'm making is you said that Blakey shouldn't be in the academy because his dad played footy. So why do you dismiss that he had the choice to enter or not because of the disbanding of u18 rep sides?

Point I'm making is you said that Blakey shouldn't be in the academy because his dad played footy. So why do you dismiss that he had the choice to enter or not because of the disbanding of u18 rep sides?

and part of the point of academies is to give these players access to top quality opposition, something that is not easy to get in NSW and QLD sometimes. Blakey lives in NSW, meaning if not for the Swans academy he would not be as good as he is now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-07-05/fatherson-and-academy-prospects-star-in-championships

POTENTIAL father-son and academy prospects Nick Blakey and Bailey Scott have starred in the second round of the NAB AFL Under-16 Championships. The pair are in the extremely rare position of not only both being eligible to join two clubs as father-son picks, but also a northern academy, having lived in their respective zones for the required five years or more. The duo are believed to be the first to qualify for priority selection at three different clubs under the father-son and academy rules, and will be able to choose which option they follow.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...t-could-have-rare-choice-20160711-gq3c9z.html

Nick Blakey and Bailey Scott will have a rare choice should they be good enough to be drafted in two years.
The pair may have the chance to pick between three teams: two as father-son prospects, and a third as an academy player.

So Emma Q and AFL are saying its the kids choice, so Im pretty comfortable this is correct.

So Emma Q and AFL are saying its the kids choice, so Im pretty comfortable this is correct.

If it's correct the AFL have changed their interpretation from a couple of years, which is good IMO.

Here's the previous version (no declining the academy nomination if you're in the academy in your draft year), also by Emma Quayle:

The expected growth of the four northern academies could lead to future prospects being presented with an "opt-out" clause, allowing them to instead choose to enter the national draft.

Academy players currently commit on a year-by-year basis from when they are first invited to join, in some cases at age 12 or 13.

It is then up to the nominating clubs to decide which players they wish to take at the end of their draft season

Unlike academy players, father-son eligible players are able to decline an offer to join their father's club if they wish to enter the draft instead.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...rn-academy-optout-clause-20150415-1mlu26.html

,View attachment 356172
Any news on how Bailey Lambert is tracking. F/S prospect for us.

A question regarding selection for Allies team. If a highly ranked Div 2 player misses all/most of the earlier matches due to injury, is he still able to be selected for Allies? If based on performance alone then no, although I'm sure the selectors would like to showcase the best talent.
I'm guessing that no-one's answered this because no-one's seen any hard & fast rules - I certainly haven't. I have a vague recollection of one of the NSW kids being selected for the Allies team last year in that situation, and it was not one of the stars (but I don't feel like reading the whole thread to confirm it or work out who it was). I think the selectors would use their discretion for 1 or 2 in a 34-ish man squad.

I'm guessing that no-one's answered this because no-one's seen any hard & fast rules - I certainly haven't. I have a vague recollection of one of the NSW kids being selected for the Allies team last year in that situation, and it was not one of the stars (but I don't feel like reading the whole thread to confirm it or work out who it was). I think the selectors would use their discretion for 1 or 2 in a 34-ish man squad.

Garthwaite got selected last year without playing a Div II game. If someones injured and misses the academy series and they're good enough (eg: A Jack Bowes for example) they'd step straight in, whereas if they're a player on the fringe of the squad of 30 they could be a toss of the coin job.

Believe this year they'll have a best of Academy Series pick 50 players and play a scratch match between them to pick the final squad of 34-35.

Thanks Bishop. Do you have any mid-championship thoughts on the Allies team makeup from the six Div 2 teams - ignoring the AFL Academy guys (Ballenden, Brander, Spargo etc) that everyone would be aware of?

Not particularly, I could probably name a chunk of it but in all honest I haven't seen once bit of the Academy Series as I don't have access to vision. Obviously seen a few stats posted around the places & reports on AFL website but hard to gauge. Might be a more even spread than in the past. NT are woeful, Tasmania have strong bottom agers, Swans just ok type of thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back