U18 Champs 2017 Division II National Championships

Remove this Banner Ad

Not particularly, I could probably name a chunk of it but in all honest I haven't seen once bit of the Academy Series as I don't have access to vision. Obviously seen a few stats posted around the places & reports on AFL website but hard to gauge. Might be a more even spread than in the past. NT are woeful, Tasmania have strong bottom agers, Swans just ok type of thing.
Bit harsh on the NT. They also have strong bottom agers and Dominic Grant touted as possibly being selected in this years draft. A few other top ages have worked hard. I'm tipping 4 NT lads to make the Allies.

Bit harsh on the NT. They also have strong bottom agers and Dominic Grant touted as possibly being selected in this years draft. A few other top ages have worked hard. I'm tipping 4 NT lads to make the Allies.

Not really. They are - just watch them. Dominic Grant wouldn't surprise me to see him not drafted, looked completely out of place in the AFL Academy games. Few made Allies squad last year, but that doesn't mean they get drafted. Rodney Baird whilst a very raw tall is one that I reckon could be developed into an AFL footballer out of NT.

Classy mid gets GC Academy home over Tassie
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-04-29/u18s-classy-mid-gets-academy-home-over-tassie
AN INFLUENTIAL display from Brodie Foster helped the Gold Coast Academy to a 14-point win against Tasmania at Fankhauser Reserve in Queensland on Saturday.

Foster picked up 25 disposals, seven clearances and kicked a goal as an inside midfielder. He stood up when Tasmania hit the lead early in the last quarter and was a constant presence all day.

A natural footballer, Foster can also play as a small defender and understands the game well.

Exciting Tasmanian product Harry Pearce kicked 4.3 and collected 16 disposals.

A badly broken leg in the first round of last year's state season ruined his draft year but Pearce's speed and nose for goal will make recruiters keep an eye on him.

Gold Coast backman Jacob Heron finished with 16 disposals, five tackles and four rebound-50s.

From Cairns, Heron was important in setting up his side out of defence, providing run and using the ball well.

His teammate Caleb Graham also impressed in the backline. A taller, rangy type, Graham went for his marks and took several contested grabs. He notched up 13 disposals and five marks.

For Tasmania, Hugh Dixon battled hard in the forward line for his 18 disposals and two goals. His agility for a big man and marking are two of his more noticeable attributes.

Dixon often brought the ball to ground, creating chances for the likes of Pearce.

In defence, Jake Hinds offered clean skills on both sides of his body on his way to 19 disposals, eight marks and four rebound-50s.

Hinds' balance between attack and defence would have pleased the scouts.

GOLD COAST ACADEMY 3.5 5.7 7.10 11.11 (77)
TASMANIA 1.2 5.5 7.6 9.9 (63)

GOALS
Gold Coast Academy:
Bowie 3, Arnold 2, Foster, Crossley, Simington, Charlesworth, Burke, Hombsch
Tasmania: Pearce 4, Mundy 2, Dixon 2, Jones

BEST
Gold Coast Academy:
Heron, Simington, Foster, Bowie, Crossley, Graham
Tasmania: Dixon, Mundy, Donnelly, Jones, Pearce, Hinds

Small forward fuels Sydney Academy win
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-04-29/u18-small-forward-fuels-sydney-academy-win
SPEEDY forward Luke Skrivanic slotted three goals for the Sydney Academy in its 31-point win versus the Brisbane Lions Academy at Blacktown on Saturday.

In perfect conditions, Skrivanic also collected 13 disposals and six marks. The half-forward can win it in the air or on the ground. He moved into the midfield later on in the contest.

For the Lions, highly touted prospect Connor Ballenden spent most of his time in the ruck, with stints up forward. He finished with 17 disposals, 24 hit-outs, seven inside-50s and a goal.

His size and accurate conversion see him as one of the brighter talents of the draft crop.

It was a seesawing game early but the Swans were able to run away with it in the final term.

Jake Brown won 21 disposals to lead all-comers. The hard nut is an over-age player and also racked up six clearances, five inside-50s, five tackles and a goal.

Small forward Jack Hardman showcased his quickness en route to 12 disposals, five inside-50s and two goals.

Backman Mitchell Rogers continued an impressive year with another no-fuss performance.

Left-footer Brock Aston had more of the ball than any other Lion with 19, to go with four inside-50s, three rebound-50s and a goal while playing through the midfield.

Jack Tomkinson moved all over the field to notch up 10 disposals, 16 hit-outs and one goal. He spent much of his time in defence.

One who looked good with his ball use was 17-year-old Caleb Franks, who picked up 15 disposals and four clearances.

SYDNEY ACADEMY 4.4 5.5 9.5 13.11 (89)
BRISBANE LIONS ACADEMY 2.0 4.6 7.7 8.10 (58)

GOALS
Sydney Academy: Skrivanic 3, Hardman 2, Stern 2, Reinhard 2, Brown, Wicks, Tegg, Kinasch
Brisbane Lions Academy: Aston, Ballenden, Lambert, Clayton, Tomkinson, Johnson, Sloan, O'Sullivan

BEST
Sydney Academy:
Skrivanic, Osborne, Brown, Rogers, Wicks, Robertson
Brisbane Lions Academy: Franks, Aston, Tomkinson, Marsh

Inside mid leads Giants to big win
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-04-30/u18-inside-mid-leads-giants-to-big-win
HIGHLY regarded inside midfielder Jack Powell has steered the Greater Western Sydney Academy to a comfortable 51-point win over Northern Territory in the NAB AFL Under-18 Academy Series on Saturday.

The Canberra teenager, who forms part of this year's NAB AFL Academy squad, gathered 24 disposals, a game-high eight clearances, seven marks and seven tackles.

Standing at 180cm, Powell showed his ability to cover the ground well in the 17.14 (116) to 9.11 (65) win at Blacktown International Sportspark, setting up his teammates by hand and foot despite receiving close attention from the opposition.

Fellow Giants midfielder Laine Fitzgerald continued his recent run with another strong performance, finishing with a match-high 27 disposals, seven marks, seven rebound 50s and a goal.

Big-bodied ball-winner Nick Shipley was equally impressive with 25 possessions, seven tackles, six marks and three goals, with his pressure around the contest often worrying his opponents.

Bottom-ager Riley Corbett, who is ineligible for this year's draft, used his 195cm, 97kg frame to great effect up forward by taking the ball cleanly and kicking three goals, which included some long-range efforts.

For Northern Territory, talented onballer Zac Bailey picked up where he left off by being named his team's best player.

Bailey, who missed NT's last match due to his school commitments in Adelaide, accumulated an equal team-high 18 touches – 13 of them handballs – five clearances, four inside 50s and a goal.

The 180cm midfielder is a smart decision-maker who can also push higher up the ground and contribute on the scoreboard.

Utility Rodney Baird was also kept busy with 18 possessions and a goal of his own, while 174cm prospect Xavier Cubillo booted two of NT's nine goals from his 11 touches.

Big man Tony Olango returned to the side after overcoming a persistent knee injury, accumulating 23 hit-outs to go with his eight disposals.

The Giants registered back-to-back victories after defeating Tasmania by 11 points last round, while Northern Territory remains winless after four matches.

GWS ACADEMY 6.2 9.8 15.11 17.14 (116)
NORTHERN TERRITORY 2.2 3.5 5.8 9.11 (65)

GOALS
GWS Academy: Corbett 3, Shipley 3, Briggs 2, Peatling 2, Pollock 2, Fitzgerald, Highmore, McInnes, Stevens, Walker
Northern Territory: Cubillo 2, Bailey, Baird, Bricknell, Foster, Hampton, Lawrence, Scrutton

BEST
GWS Academy: Fitzgerald, Powell, Gaynor, Peatling, Shipley, Corbett
Northern Territory: Bailey, Baird, Scrutton, Green, Holt-Fitz, Cubillo

With just one round remaining next week, the Sydney Swans Academy has officially won the 2017 Academy Series/Division II National Championships:

Team | Wins | Losses | Percentage
\ Sydney Academy | 4 | 0 | 166.3%
\ Tasmania | 2 | 2 | 117.0%
\ GWS Academy | 2 | 2 | 113.5%
\ Brisbane Academy | 2 | 2 | 100.7%
\ Gold Coast Academy | 2 | 2 | 83.8%
\ Northern Territory | 0 | 4 | 51.6%

Anyone game enough to take a swipe, at the make-up of the Allies squad for 2017?....It'll be 27 again, I'm guessing.

It's interesting, because quite a few players played rep football for the Australian side and the u17 vs u18 all stars game earlier in the year that clashed with some of these games. Are they going to pick the best players or the kids on form during these games?

With just one round remaining next week, the Sydney Swans Academy has officially won the 2017 Academy Series/Division II National Championships:

Team | Wins | Losses | Percentage
\ Sydney Academy | 4 | 0 | 166.3%
\ Tasmania | 2 | 2 | 117.0%
\ GWS Academy | 2 | 2 | 113.5%
\ Brisbane Academy | 2 | 2 | 100.7%
\ Gold Coast Academy | 2 | 2 | 83.8%
\ Northern Territory | 0 | 4 | 51.6%

I am enjoying looking at this table far more than the AFL table at the moment.

Anyone game enough to take a swipe, at the make-up of the Allies squad for 2017?....It'll be 27 again, I'm guessing.
I think you can start with Ballenden (Brisbane), Shipley (GWS) and Blakey (Sydney) as the key forwards. They seem like locks to me based on their performances in the Academy Series.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you can start with Ballenden (Brisbane), Shipley (GWS) and Blakey (Sydney) as the key forwards. They seem like locks to me based on their performances in the Academy Series.

Not much of a stretch there really....Ballenden, Brander, Powell, Spargo, Richards, Clayton, Crossley, Boakye & Grant from the AIS Academy squad are likely shoe-ins....Then there's Blakey, Thomas, Jones, Scott, Walker & Mummery as 2018 draft eligible AIS under-agers....Not sure on the D.O.B of Shipley though.

That's 16 likely's for starters.

Not much of a stretch there really....Ballenden, Brander, Powell, Spargo, Richards, Clayton, Crossley, Boakye & Grant from the AIS Academy squad are likely shoe-ins....Then there's Blakey, Thomas, Jones, Scott, Walker & Mummery as 2018 draft eligible AIS under-agers....Not sure on the D.O.B of Shipley though.
Are Brander and Spargo still eligible to represent the Allies? Could make a big difference considering Brander is expected to be the number one pick this year.

Are Brander and Spargo still eligible to represent the Allies? Could make a big difference considering Brander is expected to be the number one pick this year.

Yes, because they reside in N.S.W....It's just that their areas have been re-zoned out of G.W.S's grasp....Spargo being from Lavington & Brander from Wentworth....Traditional AFL Zones within the compass of Bendigo & Murray's feeder zones.

Should include Brisbane defender Jack Payne.
Brisbane have been quite lucky in recent years with the amount of high quality key position players coming out of their academy. Guys like Hipwood, Andrews, Ballenden and Payne could make up the Lions' spine for the next 10 years.

Yes, because they reside in N.S.W....It's just that their areas have been re-zoned out of G.W.S's grasp....Spargo being from Lavington & Brander from Wentworth....Traditional AFL Zones within the compass of Bendigo & Murray's feeder zones.
That's a big boost for the Allies. Seems like the Allies will be filled with mostly Queenslanders and New South Welshmen this year.

Last year the Allies actually named a squad of 34. My thoughts for options from the GWS Academy based on match reports, although start with the AFL Academy kids:
  • Jarrod Brander - KPP: however, he is injured at the moment & not sure if he'll be right for the Championships
  • Charlie Spargo - small midfielder/forward, should be a certainty
  • Jack Powell - small midfielder/forward, should be a certainty
  • Nathan Richards - ruck: hasn't really impressed this year from what I've read, probably depends on how many rucks are named & how others have gone
Others putting their name forward:
  • Nick Shipley - 190cm midfielder/forward, DOB 25/6/1999: has been named in GWS best in 4/4 games
  • Laine Fitzgerald - midfielder: has been named in GWS best in 4/4 games
  • Tom Highmore - overage defender: was GWS' best in 2/4 games, but not sure he'll get chosen due to age, probably depends on other options
  • Jake Gaynor - small midfielder: among GWS' best in 3/4 games but probably misses due to the number of midfielders
  • Alex Paech - KPP: hasn't really put his name forward during the series, but can play back or forward, kicked 3 goals covering while Brander was out in one game, a possibility depending on other options
There might be a couple of other options, depending on how many from other teams put their names forward, what the selectors are looking for, such as Riley Budd, Doulton Langlands & Brendan Myers. There will be less GWS Academy than last year, this year's crop is just not at the level of last year.

Brander and Spargo also still played for the GWS academy team, so I don't see how they'd play for that and not the Allies as part of NSW.

Brander and Spargo also still played for the GWS academy team, so I don't see how they'd play for that and not the Allies as part of NSW.
Am I correct in saying only NSW kids that hail from areas that have teams competing in Victorian leagues (ie Sunraysia, Ovens & Murray etc.) will be removed from the GWS academy system? You say Brander (Wentworth) and Spargo (Albury) were eligible to represent the GWS academy this year - will juniors from that region be eligible next year? When is the AFL actually going to cut it off?

Either way, every junior that's deemed a New South Welshmen should always be eligible to represent the Allies at the Div I National Championships. We saw Todd Marshall (Deniliquin) not taking part in the GWS academy last year but still represented the Allies. We're definitely going to see less players coming out of those areas of NSW as a result but we have already instantly seen a genuine West Sydney boy coming through the GWS academy ranks in Nick Shipley (Campbelltown) this year. That is the exact outcome the AFL were looking for with these northern academies so it's probably better overall for the game. GWS can put more effort into NSW kids that actually need their help and genuinely have other options in terms of the sport they pursue.

I also wonder if the Sydney Swans have a genuine case to take the Tweed/Northern Rivers region from the Gold Coast academy. Every club in that competition is based in NSW and does cross over games with the North Coast competition every three weeks. For those who don't know, the North Coast competition is a part of the Swans academy zone and the Northern Rivers competition is deemed a part of the Suns academy zone, despite all clubs being based in NSW. Example - Jesse Joyce grew up in Tweed Heads, New South Wales but played his junior football at Coolangatta (QLD) and Palm Beach (QLD). Is he a New South Welshman or a Queenslander? Should he have been a part of the Suns academy or the Swans academy?

Am I correct in saying only NSW kids that hail from areas that have teams competing in Victorian leagues (ie Sunraysia, Ovens & Murray etc.) will be removed from the GWS academy system?

I don't know that you're 100% correct as there's been no indication that was the system they used. Instead it seemed to be towns within about 30 minutes of the Murray, which just happens to coincide with the above but I don't know that it holds true all the way along its length.

You say Brander (Wentworth) and Spargo (Albury) were eligible to represent the GWS academy this year - will juniors from that region be eligible next year? When is the AFL actually going to cut it off?

Are they going to cut it off? I don't know that they will. After all, who will these kids play for in the meantime? Maybe they get selected for the Allies out of the TAC Cup, but it seems odd that these kids will effectively no longer be eligible to play for any NSW-based team despite being NSW-based.

I also wonder if the Sydney Swans have a genuine case to take the Tweed/Northern Rivers region from the Gold Coast academy. Every club in that competition is based in NSW and does cross over games with the North Coast competition every three weeks. For those who don't know, the North Coast competition is a part of the Swans academy zone and the Northern Rivers competition is deemed a part of the Suns academy zone, despite all clubs being based in NSW. Example - Jesse Joyce grew up in Tweed Heads, New South Wales but played his junior football at Coolangatta (QLD) and Palm Beach (QLD). Is he a New South Welshman or a Queenslander? Should he have been a part of the Suns academy or the Swans academy?

I'm guessing you haven't been up there. Tweed Heads and that northern area is basically an extension of the Gold Coast. By the time you get down to Byron it's less so but AFL Queensland already runs the Northern Rivers area competition. I think the AFL are recognising reality by making it part of the team that's an hour or two away, not the one seven or eight hours away. It'd be like zoning Wollongong to Melbourne.

I don't know that you're 100% correct as there's been no indication that was the system they used. Instead it seemed to be towns within about 30 minutes of the Murray, which just happens to coincide with the above but I don't know that it holds true all the way along its length.
I guess we just have to wait for clarification but it seems most of the Riverina is still a part of the GWS zone.

Are they going to cut it off? I don't know that they will. After all, who will these kids play for in the meantime? Maybe they get selected for the Allies out of the TAC Cup, but it seems odd that these kids will effectively no longer be eligible to play for any NSW-based team despite being NSW-based.
I don't see the benefit of GWS developing kids from those areas when they don't have access to draft them later, unless it's just a gesture of goodwill? How often do clubs spend that kind of money and time just out of the goodness of their heart? I dare say not so often. But let's just say hypothetically they are doing it for that reason. Then let's say a kid like Tom Hawkins (Finley) comes along next year with a father that played over 100 games for another club. Do GWS develop this hypothetical junior out of the goodness of their heart just purely because he happened to be born on the northern side of the Murray River when we know he'll likely be father-son drafted to another club? I highly doubt they would help out another AFL club like that. The incentive is the draft access at the end of the academy programme and the Giants don't have that anymore for some of these NSW kids.

I'm guessing you haven't been up there. Tweed Heads and that northern area is basically an extension of the Gold Coast. By the time you get down to Byron it's less so but AFL Queensland already runs the Northern Rivers area competition. I think the AFL are recognising reality by making it part of the team that's an hour or two away, not the one seven or eight hours away. It'd be like zoning Wollongong to Melbourne.
I've been there. I understand the argument that Tweed Heads is somewhat considered an extension of the Gold Coast but none of the clubs in the QFA Northern Rivers competition are actually based in Tweed Heads. These are the clubs:

Tweed Coast Tigers - based in Pottsville (35 kms from the QLD-NSW border)
Byron Bay Magpies (63 kms from the QLD-NSW border)
Ballina Bombers (90 kms from the QLD-NSW border)
Lismore Swans (100 kms from the QLD-NSW border)

At the junior level there are clubs even further south in cities like Casino and Wollongbar. Since you've been to those areas of New South Wales, I'm sure you are well away of the fact that the residents of northern New South Wales are very much anti-Queensland.

If we're using proximity as the defining factor then why is Broken Hill a part of the GWS zone? Broken Hill is more than 12 hours away from Sydney but only 30 minutes away from the South Australian border. It seems to be that we follow the border in southern and western New South Wales but change the rules when we get to north-eastern New South Wales. Why? Are the juniors in north-eastern NSW any less worthy of entering NSW developmental programme?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back