Opinion 2017 Draft Discussion - Pick 3 - Poll added

Discussion in 'Carlton' started by HARKER, May 22, 2017.

Put it out there
?

Who we are likely to take at Pick 3 .......

1. Luke Davies-Uniacke

19.7%
  2. Cameron Rayner

43.9%
  3. Adam Cerra

8.5%
  4. Paddy Dow

13.5%
  5. Charlie Constable

2.0%
  6. Darcy Fogarty

6.0%
  7. Andrew Brayshaw

2.2%
  8. Jaidyn Stephenson

2.5%
  9. Jack Higgins

0.7%
  10. Nicholas Coffield

0.2%
  11. Other

0.7%
  1. Neadsy83

Neadsy83 Team Captain

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Afl draft central have a few more results up if you're interested.

ferrisb and Jimmae like this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. JrDr

JrDr Draftee

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Updated, thanks

ferrisb likes this.
  3. james Dean

james Dean Premiership Player

Carlton
    Other teams:
    PHX, NUFC
    Sounds like Rayner will definitely be gone. Ldu will surely be gone too so I guess its out of Dow, Cerra or Brayshaw?

4. Arr0w

Arr0w Premiership Player

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Enjoying seeing some of the results. Kyron Hayden's vertical leaps, would also suggest his speed is also very good

The Smoking Gun, Jimmae and HARKER like this.
  5. Arr0w

Arr0w Premiership Player

Carlton
    Other teams:
    This whole overage scenario. Happy he goes under the radar, if SOS is keen

If he is not selected, will make many recruiters look very silly in years to come

Jimmae likes this.
  6. Arr0w

Arr0w Premiership Player

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Agree with you, tough inside player that distributes the ball well.

7. The Smoking Gun

The Smoking Gun All Australian

Carlton
    Other teams:
    I see an Arr0w long-shot in Ben Miller testing very well. Bloody quick and agile for someone who is 196cm & nearly 100kgs. Can kick too. Good catch from a very long way out mate. You mentioned him to me months ago. :thumbsu: How did he finish off the season in the west???

8. ferrisb

ferrisb Norm Smith Medallist

Carlton
    Other teams:
    The vids you posted of him showed him missing like 117% of his targets by foot.

BUT most of them looked he was trying to do too much, choosing overly ambitious options.

If he tests well at the combine, it kinda confirms its decision making rather than a skill issue.

Then it becomes a question of whether he can be coached to make the right decisions on the field or whether he is a 'panicker'.

FoeverBlues likes this.
  9. The Dominator7

The Dominator7 Debutant

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Dallas Cowboys, Chicago Cubs
    I noticed that, 4th in the 20m sprint and equal 1st in the agility test for a big bloke is pretty awesome

Arr0w am I right that he is a 196cm ruckman?? If so do you think he can play that role at that height at AFL level or would he have to transition to a KPP??

10. Jimmae

Jimmae Norm Smith Medallist

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Tennessee Titans, Tottenham Hotspur
    That's what I'm saying: if we can turn 3 and out future 2nd into 7 and 8 (i.e. LDU off the board and Saints have a favourite), there's a better opportunity to boost the midfield.

I think he's an explosive player who takes the game on, and unlike Rayner, he really doesn't need to grind out much more of a tank to play midfield just through his sheer size and sidestep.

While he spends 18 months doing that, he can rotate with Cripps, Charlie and SOS. They'll need some zip around them of course, but I think Fogarty will be a better version of Wines if he can build that tank up significantly.

Hey look, if he's going to be available in the 14-25 range, I'm stoked because that's a far more achievable trade, but I keep looking at the Saints, West Coast, Sydney, Richmond and Adelaide and they could all use him.

If the medical is sound (and going by the testing it has to be, it's just down to him getting strength back in his legs and around his knees and ankles), then there's limit devaluing because his footy IQ is solid and work rate is up there. With respect to his 'double' reco, it was the first reco being fixed due to surgical error, which is a big difference.

Someone was saying the other day that the Caulfield Grammar footy staff (or possibly the Dandenong team) got more enquiries about Bonar than any other player. They've all been trying to get him cheap, which means someone is going to pounce in the first round. Bishop's got him not making it to #12 as of this morning.

FWIW, I don't think Brayshaw would be there at pick 10.

There's some more results on Twitter if you want to chase them down. :thumbsu:

I just think he's a bit thin in the lower legs after the weight loss and makes a few risky decisions off-balance. Takes the game on to an extreme level.

Heaps to work with IMO.

The Smoking Gun likes this.
  11. FoeverBlues

FoeverBlues Club Legend

Carlton
    Other teams:
    ...so that leave either LDU or Paddy Dow for us at p3:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. TGR

TGR Club Legend

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Carlton
    I think Dow offers us the best point of difference in our midfield. If he's worthy of a top 5 pick, then he's the man I reckon.

13. HARKER

HARKER Hall of Famer

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Not a bad sell point at all.
    Have watched him a little closer recently and have to say, he's becoming quite appealing.

Bag of Nuts and TGR like this.
  14. james Dean

james Dean Premiership Player

Carlton
    Other teams:
    PHX, NUFC
    My concern with LDU is speed, it's the one thing we lack in the midfield and I am not sold that Fisher can play there.

For the draft experts who would be quicker out of Cerra and Dow, Cerra sounds like a flashy name and flash=quick so I naturally assume he is quicker.

raymagoo likes this.
  15. Jimmae

Carlton
    Other teams:
    LDU has speed aplenty, and doesn't really need to prove anything to recruiters in testing. He's done it on the field, and has pushed through the season remarkably well.

His combine was on Saturday, and he smashed it.

16. RiteBak@Ya

RiteBak@Ya All Australian

Carlton
    Other teams:
    You need to add Stephenson to that mix

Manhattanite likes this.
  17. RiteBak@Ya

RiteBak@Ya All Australian

Carlton
    Other teams:
    LDU is very quick and powerful. Dow is very quick and powerful. Cerra is not quick, he is evasive.

18. La Dispute

La Dispute La Dispute

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Manchester City, Boston Bruins
    I'd be tempted to take Brayshaw at 3 tbh. Really rate him

19. BlueBlood84

BlueBlood84 Draftee

Carlton
    Other teams:
    If Rayner and LDU go top 2 i think we take Stephenson just ahead of Dow and Cerra

20. The Smoking Gun

The Smoking Gun All Australian

Carlton
    Other teams:
    This is something you & I are going to have to agree to disagree about. Irrespective of what arguments people come up with Rayner, LDU, Cerra & Dow have been clear, and I do mean daylight clear, ahead of everyone else. Not just last month, not just this month, but all year. Three of those kids are genuine quality inside mids who have proven they not only can they play the position, but do it with aplomb. I'd be absolutely ******* filthy with SOS if pissed away the opportunity to get his hands on one of the best 3 inside mids to become available through the draft in recent years.

I know you like Fogarty and I know he's surged back up the draft boards, but based upon what??? He hasn't done anything to warrant that....at all. I think, like Worpel, there are a number of kids that have developed, grown and improved to a point where they've comfortably passed him in the pecking order. Once again, by the kid's own admission he's a forward who would like to spend some time in the midfield as he improves his endurance. Yes he's big, yes he has a nice sidestep, but he's not all that quick and he'll need a lot more tricks than that if he's to make it as a mid. One of our biggest issues is our lack of defensive running through the midfield and I struggle to see how Fogarty addresses that.

Next year there is a high probability that SOS will target one of Lukosius, Williams or one of the King Brothers with our first pick and then we'll take the BOSS as a FS. From my perspective, I don't really see a place on our list for Fogarty. He's a luxury we don't really need or can afford at this stage of our rebuild.

I can live with Bonar, but only with a pick we obtain from trading Gibbs and only if Brayshaw was already taken. Anymore of this offloading Pick 3 for Fogarty talk and I'm gonna start telling you to have a good long hard sniff of what you're shovelling. :p

Look, you can't have Naughton, Brander, Stephenson, Bonar & Fogarty storming into a Top 10 containing Cerra, Rayner, Constable, LDU & Dow without Brayshaw, Coffield, Higgins, etc being squeezed out. He'll be there at 10. ;)

21. Jimmae

Carlton
    Other teams:
    I personally don't see the same value in Dow and Rayner. Nightmare scenario for me is LDU and Cerra off the board at #3.

Fair points, it is looking increasingly speculative.

I'd be ropeable if we're bottom 6 again next year.

Yup, I was unusually bullish on this, I'll cop that. :p

I think Brander will get squeezed out unless the Saints are desperate for a tall. They might even wind up seeing Bonar and Fogarty as a means of hedging their bets.

Doggies at 9 (and possibly 11) seem a risk too given Stringer being moved on.

22. TerryWallet

TerryWallet Norm Smith Medallist

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Hmmm, some opinions becoming more bullish by the post.

Everyone has different thoughts. For eg TSG, Brisbane have said that Rayner, LDU, Dow and Brayshaw are in the mix for their pick, and not your beloved Cerra;)

Whereas other Clubs may have Cerra at 1 on their list and Brayshaw(or whoever) not in their Top 10.

I reckon the only near certainties so far are :

LDU top 2.
    Rayner and Dow top 4.

ferrisb and The Smoking Gun like this.
  23. ItsAllAboutMe

ItsAllAboutMe Premiership Player

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    Some interesting/ concerning points of interest from the Brisbane board.

Apparently Brisbane are going to take Lobbe from port. why is this interesting? Because apparently for doing port a favour and taking him and his contract, Port will then officially pay rockliff $900K+ a year, which puts him into band 1 salary and means Brisbane get a pick after their first rounder i.e pick 2 in the draft.

24. Love the Drake

Love the Drake Club Legend

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Surely the AFL would see through this. No way Brizzie get a first rounder..

Jimmae likes this.
  25. Fred Sexton

Fred Sexton Draftee

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Is this even legal? Surely common sense will prevail here with the AFLs discretion on compensation.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app