Opinion 2017 Draft Discussion - Pick 3 - Poll added

Who we are likely to take at Pick 3 .......

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Regarding my post earlier, now that Freo have pick 2, They are a good chance to select Dow and Brander at 2,5 as they are at the same school and know each other well, meaning their go home factor would be less if they joined Freo together.

If Dow is available at pick 3 Carlton will call his name out. You can take that to the bank

Don't disagree either of you, but I wouldn't be surprised if they took Constable at 5. Reckon he'd be a pretty low flight risk and would make a great replacement for Mundy who's getting near the end.

Hard to disagree with you, think you know that I do see Constable as being Mundy like in many ways. I would be more than happy to take him at 3, but given the addition of Kennedy and some sizable 3rd tall forwards on our list, SOS will probably bypass him

fremantle will not be selecting naughton at pick 2 or 5. would be very surprised if they do.

my current top 10 prediction

1. Brisbane - Luke Davies-Uniacke
2. Fremantle - Cameron Rayner
3. Carlton - Adam Cerra
4. North Melbourne - Paddy Dow
5. Fremantle - Andrew Brayshaw
6. Collingwood - Nick Coffield
7. St.Kilda - Jayden Stephenson
8. St.Kilda - Darcy Fogarty
9. Bulldogs - Hunter Clark
10. Carlton - Charlie Constable

yep. i predict aaron naughton and jarrod brander to not be drafted in the top 10.

Last edited:
Can't see Rayner sliding now. Freo will love the thought of Fyfe/Rayner rotating through the forward line.

Best available at both selections. Must have good skills.

Take Fogarty with 10
200 games later , trade him in to Reid and the Crows for 2 x 1st rounders ...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Happy with any of the big 3 with our 1st and like the look of Brayshaw with 10.
Kelly with 30 if available and the club are keen.

What does this mean for Pick 3 now that Fremantle have Pick 2?? Surely they need another midfielder to replace Lachie Weller.. still can't believe GCS parted with that pick!

Give me your thoughts now that Freo have pick 2 Jim: who are we taking at 3 and 10 and how does Freo getting pick 2 affect this?
They have running power, they have contested ability, with Mundy being a bit long in the tooth. Rayner, LDU and Dow all suit for 2.

Brayshaw, Fogarty and Naughton make the most sense at 5, though I see Naughton as a reach.

I don't think Clayton was amused that he had to give up #2. I don't think he even wanted to do the trade, it was ludicrous. That said, Freo have left themselves with 9 open list spots, so expect them to be digging into the pool still in the 5th round.

Really hoping West Coast don't take Tim Kelly with #26. Otherwise seems destined for our #30, adding one more ready-made player to the midfield would be ideal at this stage of the rebuild.
I'd laugh at West Coast if they did that, and I'd actually be disappointed if we did. There's more than enough junior talent for a great pick at 30.

Freo @ 42 makes a lot of sense right now.

If they don't take Naughton with one of those picks, they truly don't rate top end KPP's and will always be middle of the road
Why wouldn't they pip the Saints with a crack at Brander or Fogarty? Naughton's an excellent 1v1 defender but he cannot kick, and they've got Logue, Cox and Pearce sitting there.

Brander and Fogarty are both capable swingmen, as is Cox.

Think we have a pretty good idea of the permutations and combinations available at Picks 3 & 10. Arr0w, TerryWallet, Jimmae, HARKER & Soapy V who would you like to see SOS potentially snaffle at Pick 30???

Well a couple of names that might suit us around that mark that i like are Will Walker, Zac Bailey and Jordan Houlihan.

I like Bailey's zip and run & carry. And i like Walker and Houlihan's class and goalsense. I thought Walker was gonna rip the GF apart after his 2nd Q up forward but his midfield went to sleep in the 3rd and he had to go into the middle to get em going himself.

I like the KPP's Clavarino, Petty and Taylor but we don't need no more of those lol

Think we have a pretty good idea of the permutations and combinations available at Picks 3 & 10. Arr0w, TerryWallet, Jimmae, HARKER & Soapy V who would you like to see SOS potentially snaffle at Pick 30???

Remember reading a post by Bishop suggesting we liked a Jackson Ross and another guy with an unusual name?

Edit: Ryley Stoddart is the guy

Perhaps they come into the picture?
Yeah Stoddart's a guy who will now be in the mix.

N.Murphy, Starcevich, Spargo, Ling, Worpel, L.Fogarty, Richards, O'Brien, Allen and Daniels are all in the mix IMO, with N.Murphy, L.Fogarty, Starcevich, O'Brien and Spargo being the good value.

That whole 15-30 range is still very fluid IMO, aside from F/S & Academy bids.

Oh and a smokey: Patmore. :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lochie O'Brien or James Worpel could be there around 30. Spargo maybe a chance or Nathan Murphy. I really like Krueger from SA.

There will be a good player at 30 I reckon regardless

I have no idea, but would absorb a boom or bust player......just not too much bust. Shipley maybe?

Would like Murphy but reckon he'll get nabbed beforehand.

I have no idea, but would absorb a boom or bust player......just not too much bust. Shipley maybe?

I reckon GWS will match that bid, though it's a tad high IMO.

Well a couple of names that might suit us around that mark that i like are Will Walker, Zac Bailey and Jordan Houlihan.

I like Bailey's zip and run & carry. And i like Walker and Houlihan's class and goalsense. I thought Walker was gonna rip the GF apart after his 2nd Q up forward but his midfield went to sleep in the 3rd and he had to go into the middle to get em going himself.

I like the KPP's Clavarino, Petty and Taylor but we don't need no more of those lol
I want to like Bailey, but that kicking action sometimes...

Otherwise he's what everyone else raves about with Dow, but better.

I hear you. Brayshaw?

I'm still intrigued by Coffield though. Just have a feeling about him. Very quick tall but again.......can he play midfield on a regular basis?

Coffield has some Bont-like qualities

The way he moves, and his kicking action... Not a lot of time spent as an inside mid though obviously.

He's also pretty aggressive and very sharp with his skills. I hope he's considered if we grab a pure mid at 3.

Coffield has some Bont-like qualities

The way he moves, and his kicking action... Not a lot of time spent as an inside mid though obviously.
He's also pretty aggressive and very sharp with his skills. I hope he's considered if we grab a pure mid at 3.

Yeah, I've liked Coffield for some time and his best looks great but I haven't seen his worst.

Seems to have great radar as for Cripps and even has a Cripps wriggle in his first couple of steps, although he's much quicker than our Patrick.

SOS believes you can never have enough KPDs. They're so darn useful. Sure we can justify squeezing another one in there somewhere....even if it does upset a few. ;)

Yeah Stoddart's a guy who will now be in the mix.

N.Murphy, Starcevich, Spargo, Ling, Worpel, L.Fogarty, Richards, O'Brien, Allen and Daniels are all in the mix IMO, with N.Murphy, L.Fogarty, Starcevich, O'Brien and Spargo being the good value.

That whole 15-30 range is still very fluid IMO, aside from F/S & Academy bids.

Oh and a smokey: Patmore. :p
Nice selection there Jimmae. No love for Patmore these days??? Oh yes, there he is at the bottom. :)

Shipley's not the roughest HARKER. Best game I saw him play was against SA. You're right though, the Picks from 15-35 are probably the hardest to get right.

Remember reading a post by Bishop suggesting we liked a Jackson Ross and another guy with an unusual name?

Edit: Ryley Stoddart is the guy

Perhaps they come into the picture?
Yes, we're supposedly very interested in Jackson Ross & Stoddart.

Lochie O'Brien or James Worpel could be there around 30. Spargo maybe a chance or Nathan Murphy. I really like Krueger from SA.

There will be a good player at 30 I reckon regardless
Like your choices of O'Brien & Worpel. Think Ross is a better choice than Krueger given you can use him as an outside mid as well and Krueger may find himself starved of opportunity on our list.

Last edited:
Why wouldn't they pip the Saints with a crack at Brander or Fogarty? Naughton's an excellent 1v1 defender but he cannot kick, and they've got Logue, Cox and Pearce sitting there.

Brander and Fogarty are both capable swingmen, as is Cox.

Logue is a 3rd tall who in time could be a big body mid, he is under size for a KPP. That leaves Cox, Pearce and Taberner, which is really thin. I disagree with Naughton being a bad kick, played seniors after the carnival and didn't miss a beat, think he is a great selection for them. Brander would be a good selection if they are looking for a KPF.

Knowing the Dockers history, they will probably pick 2 mids

Back