Opinion 2017 Draft Discussion - Pick 3 - Poll added

Who we are likely to take at Pick 3 .......

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd want Rayner. Star power at 3, get the safe midfielder in Constable or Brayshaw at 10.
What i'm thinking as well.
Rayner and Charlie in the forward half just makes me excited.

Feel like the saints will definitely roll the dice on someone like Bonar, they lack x factor

Agreed

I reckon they will do what the dogs did in 13... Safe pick and a risky one

I just can't tear myself away from wanting Rayner.

Honestly, if things were to fall into place for him at AFL level, he could be a monster. Furthermore, there's a real chance he falls to our pick as I'm not sure how eager Freo and Brisbane will be about taking a young man from Melbourne, with the threat of him calling 'homesick' and clearing off.

Seems to all come down to just how bad his endurance is...SOS would be all over it.
Seems to be literally the only weakness of his mentioned.

His lack of endurance would be a big concern at AFL level. It's a hard running game these days and who knows the bench rotations may reduce even further.
He needs to be fit enough to run hard offensively and defensively, while we'd also like him to play decent stints in the midfield.

If he can't then he won't justify picking him at pick 3 imo. Like Dan Menzel who is supremely talented and 'makes things happen' which has been said of Rayner, but can't apply defensive pressure (although in his case might be because of the knee reco's).

Reckon this is the year to pick safe. No standout must-have, plenty of tempting players with question marks on certain attributes.

We've got star quality down back in Weitering and Doc, in the middle with Cripps and SPS, and up forward with Curnow and McKay. They're all players who can or project to be able to dramatically influence a game by themselves.

Cerra and Brayshaw look to me like the best safe picks with good all around skills and the right attitude to make the cut, and minimal risk of being busts.

Pick safe, pick smart.

Agreed. I wouldn't want to take a risk on someone like Bonar who has star qualities but injury issues...let someone like St Kilda take the risk.
Teams like Saints and North need to go for 'star power' players since they are full of B+ solid soldier types.

This is my own personal view, but I feel the lower your beep test, the more scope for quicker improvement.

I got around 10 as a 15 year old completely lacking in any athletic ability. I can't imagine that it'd be that difficult for Rayner, an athletically gifted, elite young footballer, to boost his beep test score rather quickly.

Furthermore, didn't we pick up Fisher off the back of a poor beep test score? Or did he improve on that during the combine, I can't remember.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is my own personal view, but I feel the lower your beep test, the more scope for quicker improvement.

I got around 10 as a 15 year old completely lacking in any athletic ability. I can't imagine that it'd be that difficult for Rayner, an athletically gifted, elite young footballer, to boost his beep test score rather quickly.

Furthermore, didn't we pick up Fisher off the back of a poor beep test score? Or did he improve on that during the combine, I can't remember.

But a low beep test person never really becomes elite. People sometimes make it sound like a kid with a 14 beep test cannot also improve?
I would prefer my baseline to start from a higher point that Rayner.

But a low beep test person never really becomes elite. People sometimes make it sound like a kid with a 14 beep test cannot also improve?
I would prefer my baseline to start from a higher point that Rayner.

What scope for improvement is there for the kid with a 14 beep test? Might reach 15 or 16. For someone with an 11 beep test who is just about to come into the AFL system, he could easily reach 14 or thereabouts.

AFL Draft Central's Post Trade Phantom

Pick 1: Brisbane – Luke Davies-Uniacke
Pick 2: Fremantle – Paddy Dow
Pick 3: Carlton – Cameron Rayner
Pick 4: North Melbourne – Jaidyn Stephenson
Pick 5: Fremantle – Aaron Naughton
Pick 6: Collingwood – Nick Coffield
Pick 7: St Kilda – Andrew Brayshaw
Pick 8: St Kilda – Aiden Bonar
Pick 9: Western Bulldogs – Adam Cerra
Pick 10: Carlton – Charlie Constable
Darcy Fogarty or Jarrod Brander it is, then.

We could go Cerra @ 3 and Fogarty @ 10.

Is the scope for Fogarty to push into the midfield essentially a pipe dream at this stage? Seems like he was more of a Plowman-type defender at the championships.

His strength and explosiveness would be lethal in the middle.

I really like Cerra, big bodied ball winning midfielder and always looks so composed with the footy, but a future starting midfield with Cripps Kennedy and Cerra does seems kinda one paced.

Cerra will end up at freo

I know we need to add to our midfield, but we also lack weapons in the forward half, Rayner would add plenty of goal kicking power to our line up and has shown he can certainly win plenty of contested footy, also shown he can use his explosiveness to brust out of traffic carry the footy and be very damaging.

We can still get another elite level midfield talent in next years draft, someone like Rankin Walsh Bytel or Hill would be awesome.

Back