Opinion 2017 Draft Discussion - Pick 3 - Poll added

Who we are likely to take at Pick 3 .......

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Sos said today we will take the best players in draft.

So in theory he means, LDU, dow, rayner, cerra, brayshaw, Constable, higgins, Coffield, Stephenson etc

That’s my take on what he meant

Sos said today we will take the best players in draft.

So in theory he means, LDU, dow, rayner, cerra, brayshaw, Constable, higgins, Coffield, Stephenson etc

That’s my take on what he meant

When you think about it, what else could a recruiter say?
He couldn't possibly say, "We value some of the mids more, but we're going to go tall"
At the end of the day, most clubs will somehow select the player they just seem to need most, other than in the odd unusual situation.

This is really Brodies first legal draft for us.
Of course the first two picks will gain the most interest, but I'm looking forward to what he takes at that pick #30

I'd probably take Cerra if Rayner wasn't there at 3 but you'd be a little concerned about the homogeneity of our midfield unit. Might need someone who is a point of difference, especially when you consider that we could pick up a player like Constable or Brayshaw at 10.

Suppose Dow fits that mould.

But if SOS is saying we take the best player then it's either Rayner or Cerra.

He couldn't possibly say, "We value some of the mids more, but we're going to go tall"
At the end of the day, most clubs will somehow select the player they just seem to need most, other than in the odd unusual situation.

Of course the first two picks will gain the most interest, but I'm looking forward to what he takes at that pick #30

SOS could have said "We will take the best player, that suits our needs"?

Just putting a few pieces together, it's reported that Brisbane are very interested in LDU at #1 and Brett Anderson (SEN) mentioned that Freo are into Cerra.

Over a month away and things change but we might have the choice between Dow and Rayner.

Hope we pick the kid from Doutta Stars.

Anyone have Dow slightly ahead of Rayner ?

Dont know we need speed to compliment Cripps and Kennedy and Dow is the man.

i think it all comes down to who Freo select with pick 2

I think the 'best player' has basically been SOS's method so far, with about one exception each draft period. It's been the exact reverse of the Hughes/Rogers era in which we picked players against the flow of the draft.

i feel like rayner will go to brisbane. He may not be the best player in the draft but after the big go home group & now schache they'll be gun shy

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...lions-over-gohome-factor-20171005-gyuv83.html

That would be crazy.
I am a huge Dow fan. I think he's all class. Nice pace away from contest and just glides through contested situations.
But Raynar shapes as a match winner. How bad is this reputedly poor tank of his? That's the Qn IMO.

Rogers used to say, "We'll take the best player for Carlton" and whilst that may have been the most honest thing to say........it didn't necessarily mean we were picking the right players. :)

Recruiters generally say the simplest thing and that is the old tried and true, "We'll take the best player"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we've been bloody lucky that the prospects in the last 3 drafts (including this one) have basically suited a club in full rebuild mode. Would like him to find some bigger bodied midfielders just to redress the size balance a little.

How many illegal ones did he have for us??? :oops:

Exactly!!! I'd like to see SOS go with someone who's got a bit of hardness about them, extreme speed, great kicking skills, discipline, has good endurance, can play in multiple positions, capable of winning their own ball, demonstrated that they can acquire the ball 25+ times a game on a regular basis and have a nice balance of attack and defence. And I think that kid is a South Australian by the name of Andrew McPherson and at 186cm he's a nice size.

Sounds like someone you'd find in the 1st Round doesn't it. Well had he not suffered a quad injury just before the U18 Carnival and then tweaked a hamstring just before the Combine he may well have been considered in the second half of the 1st Round. Has had a similar year to what SPS did last year where he hasn't quite had the season he'd have wanted. Whenever McPherson has been able to get on the ground he's been extremely damaging and it hasn't been unusual to see him amass between 25 & 30 possessions a game. As Bishop said when I asked him, "you could use him anywhere from a Docherty like role to an inside mid".

Brodie was with us last year whilst serving his suspension.
No doubt he had some input but maybe just a little of the covert type.

This his first year as our Head Recruiter. Look forward to see what he does.
Looking at his draft history, you'd think he'd opt for Cerra or LDU before Rayner.

Reckon he picks endurance before pace when the difference in pace is marginal.

Last edited:
Had my first look at Dow. After seeing a lot of comments about his speed, he actually looks to have a slow first few steps - sort of lumbers before he gets going. Then seems to just bang it on the boot a bit.

Actually like the looks of Coffield, skills look scratchy but not terrible and he looks composed and thinks his way through congestion to choose the best option. He could be an astute pickup.

Where do our draft watchers.. The Smoking Gun, Arr0w, Jimmae, Terry Wallet, etc

see Liam Ryan going in the draft if he gets picked this year. He kicked 73 goals in 23 matches, stands 184cm, spring heeled, quick and evasive. Good skills too from looking at his goal ratio only kicked 35 points. Oh and he's still only 20 years old..

Was thinking if we don't go with Rayner he may be a good option at 30? Get two pure mids early, a goal kicking freak, and a smokey at 73

#3 Dow/Cerra
#10 Brayshaw
#30 Ryan
#73 Roughsedge?

Thoughts..

Last edited:
Where do our draft watchers.. The Smoking Gun, Arr0w, Jimmae, Terry Wallet, etc

see Liam Ryan going in the draft if he gets picked this year. He kicked 73 goals in 23 matches, stands 184cm, spring heeled, quick and evasive. Good skills too from looking at his goal ratio only kicked 35 points. Oh and he's still only 20 years old..

Was thinking if we don't go with Rayner he may be a good option at 30? Get two pure mids early, a goal kicking freak, and a smokey at 73

#3 Dow/Cerra
#10 Brayshaw
#30 Ryan
#73 Roughsedge?

Thoughts..
Roughy @ 73 would be an absolute steal. Yes please.

I'd probably take Cerra if Rayner wasn't there at 3 but you'd be a little concerned about the homogeneity of our midfield unit. Might need someone who is a point of difference, especially when you consider that we could pick up a player like Constable or Brayshaw.

The prospect of a one-paced midfield scares me.

I am homogeneity-phobic....

Back