List Mgmt. 2017 Draft Discussion (cont in Pt 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Would be happy if we could land Lachie O'Brien and Sam Hayes. Addresses two needs 1) classy wingman with excellent disposal 2) Effective Ruck/Forward. Go to the draft, trade for a young gun or make a play for Fyfe. We can't lose either way.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...n/news-story/076519ed494944022ce3442b11f91502

THE GREAT COMEBACK BEHIND PADDY’S BRO

ONE McCartin has already made a significant impression on the AFL, but another is in the midst of a powerful and remarkable journey that could see him end up on a club list come November.

Tom McCartin, the younger brother of St Kilda No. 1 pick Paddy, has produced an outstanding start to his TAC Cup career after spending over 12 months on the sidelines in rehab due to post-viral arthritis.

The tall forward, who is only just draft eligible this year as he was born on 31 December 1999, couldn’t get on the park last year due to back and hip problems. This prompted the Falcons to send McCartin to Cats doctor Chris Bradshaw, where he was diagnosed with a virus that had caused an arthritic reaction.

Despite the diagnosis, McCartin has shown ample determination over recent months to, not only get himself back on the park, but also show signs that he’s worthy of potential state selection come this year Under 18 national championships.

McCartin was among the Falcons’ best and busiest players during their big win over the Dandenong Stingrays on Saturday. He constantly featured on the scoreboard — he kicked 3.5 with many of those misses coming from a distance — but also worked hard up the field, finishing with 21 touches, eight marks and another two score assists. Just as impressive was the fact he outplayed Stingrays key back Oscar Clavarino, who’s considered one of the best tall defenders of this year’s draft class.

McCartin’s big game comes a week after his Under 18 TAC Cup debut, where he booted two goals from eight marks — four of them were contested — against the Rebels.

“He’s done himself a lot of favours over the past couple of weeks,” Falcons talent manager Mick Turner told foxfooty.com.au.

“He’s 70 per cent fit at the moment, so for us it’s all about how we manage him this year.

“Like his brother Paddy, he’s a late developer … (But) he’s been pretty exceptional early.”

McCartin wasn’t the only Falcon with a familiar surname to stand out at Simonds Stadium on Saturday.

I have to agree with Aussie18 here, I don't think Knightmare's power rankings order is very "realistic", at least not the top 6 (two ruck types in the top 6? o_O) and with his personal bias over the strong contested types over the Lochie O'Brien types.

Think Don Patch Sword's (Cal Twomey?) is much more likely to happen: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/draft-profiles-and-rankings-2017.1155992/

It's well worth following his posts (he now goes by D_P_S) in the trade and draft thread on the Essendon board if you can stomach being there. he posts a lot more in-depth stuff about the draft prospects there in my experience.

Also, Armitage2Riewoldt could we have these two threads merged please, as there's some useful stuff in that one as well? https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2017-draft-discussion.1156879/

Last edited:
Would be happy if we could land Lachie O'Brien and Sam Hayes. Addresses two needs 1) classy wingman with excellent disposal 2) Effective Ruck/Forward. Go to the draft, trade for a young gun or make a play for Fyfe. We can't lose either way.

Loch O'Brien for me. He's just what we need, outside, classy and clean kicking also potential high output too.

Loch O'Brien for me. He's just what we need, outside, classy and clean kicking also potential high output too.
His types generally go very high tho. Kelly at 2, Whitfield at 1, S Hill at about 4.

I'm now really warming to the idea of Garner, if he is genuinely quick and has really sharp, elite skills and tackles well.

We've been crying out for someone like that for years and years (thanks A Lovett!) and often those who tick the first two boxes in particular are indigenous, but if they're available, there is often a go-home/settling in factor with them, but with Garner being from Melb, that hopefully won't be any issue this time. Might be our big chance.

Great to have Gresh and Long on board of course, but neither are what I would consider to be super-quick and neither are what I would consider to be elite kicks- from what I've seen and in Long's case also heard- so if we could get in a real linebreaking type with proper speed and laser-sharp skills, that would be awesome.

Would need to get a strong inside type to compliment them tho, like Fyfe/Dusty/Rocky/Shiel/Hopper/Davies-Uniacke/Dow.

His types generally go very high tho. Kelly at 2, Whitfield at 1, S Hill at about 4.

I'm now really warming to the idea of Garner, if he is genuinely quick and has really sharp, elite skills and tackles well.

We've been crying out for someone like that for years and years (thanks A Lovett!) and often those who tick the first two boxes in particular are indigenous, but if they're available, there is often a go-home/settling in factor with them, but with Garner being from Melb, that hopefully won't be any issue this time. Might be our big chance.

Great to have Gresh and Long on board of course, but neither are what I would consider to be super-quick and neither are what I would consider to be elite kicks- from what I've seen and in Long's case also heard- so if we could get in a real linebreaking type with proper speed and laser-sharp skills, that would be awesome.

Would need to get a strong inside type to compliment them tho, like Fyfe/Dusty/Rocky/Shiel/Hopper/Davies-Uniacke/Dow.

yeah I think you are right but the early draft order is seriously unreliable. Goddard was the clear number one pick at the start of the TAC season. Petrevski-Seton was the clear number one a year out too but hung around until 6. I like Garner, I took some notice of him due to the name but he seems a very nice type.

He might be one that shoots up the draft order though if the reports are right. I haven't seen him actually play so it's all on second hand reports so far but can't help but like what you hear. Someone on SEN was drooling over him recently, he must be pretty special.

Also heard from someone that Jai Simpkin at North Melbourne is set to be a superstar according to people at the club. Is Garner that sort of mid forward?

Jack Higgins could be a star. Just has height issues. Seen him play since he was 9 and can go. Brereton isn't any good unfortunately for the Hawks.

Jack Higgins could be a star. Just has height issues. Seen him play since he was 9 and can go. Brereton isn't any good unfortunately for the Hawks.

Like how good and how short?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yeah I think you are right but the early draft order is seriously unreliable. Goddard was the clear number one pick at the start of the TAC season. Petrevski-Seton was the clear number one a year out too but hung around until 6.
I was talking about where the likes of Kelly and Hill ended up going though, not where they were rated at the start of their draft year. If Lochie plays to his ability I expect he'll go similarly high, because he has similar attributes and they are highly sought after. Also Hugh wasn't seen as a clear no.1 at the start of his TAC season by a long way. Two years out from his draft he was being touted as a likely or possible no.1 pick, but by the start of his draft year that wasn't the case any more and it was more about the likes of Wright and Paddy.
I like Garner, I took some notice of him due to the name but he seems a very nice type.

He might be one that shoots up the draft order though if the reports are right. I haven't seen him actually play so it's all on second hand reports so far but can't help but like what you hear. Someone on SEN was drooling over him recently, he must be pretty special.

Also heard from someone that Jai Simpkin at North Melbourne is set to be a superstar according to people at the club. Is Garner that sort of mid forward?
I've seen Simpkin play in the juniors but not Garner, but by the sounds of it Garner is stronger overhead whereas Jai is super-agile, like Gresh, and not quite as tall as Garner. We could really do with someone with super-sharp kicking delivering it into the guts of Paddy, Bruce and co. going forward.

He has a whole lot going for him but we could do without another who is iffy by foot in the midfield. Especially when there are a few in this draft who have really good skills by foot.

Kicking skills kicking skills kicking skills is the highest priority - apart from Billings we still havent replaced Nicky Dal and Beej in terms of being able to open up the game by pinpoint passing of the pill, (try saying that three times when you're drunk)!!! ;);)

He has a whole lot going for him but we could do without another who is iffy by foot in the midfield. Especially when there are a few in this draft who have really good skills by foot.
That's what they told me when I wanted Powell Pepper. If they have other elite traits I can forgive the kicking. Danger and Fyfe both pretty average kicks.

That's what they told me when I wanted Powell Pepper. If they have other elite traits I can forgive the kicking. Danger and Fyfe both pretty average kicks.
Yeah I agree with that if he's clearly better than the next best option, but if we're picking with a reasonably high pick and there are a few really strong options there, I would imagine we'd prioritise those with really good kicking.

Yeah I agree with that if he's clearly better than the next best option, but if we're picking with a reasonably high pick and there are a few really strong options there, I would imagine we'd prioritise those with really good kicking.

We have two picks lets get both

Heard recently Paddys brother eligible for this years draft
Any word on is he any good and the type of player he us ?

Seems to have inherited Paddy's bad luck with injuries. Viral arthritis sounds like something I would have made up to get out of school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back