List Mgmt. 2017 Draft Discussion (cont in Pt 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a growing unease among Collingwood supporters around who they're being linked to. It's magic, I love seeing those knuckle draggers sweat. If they take Murphy, I'm betting the Lexus Centre cops a bricking.

Having said that, if they take Coffield I'll go from zen to melt in 0.4 seconds.

Watch that vid up a few posts.

campaigner is everything we crave AND he was at a few centre bounces :p

I have seen it multiple times, I even picked him for my Bigfooty draft for Carlton but just don't think his game will translate to the wing or outside mid. He's almost a general defender who can burst away. He's got beautiful hands but not so much off the deck. His speed is off one step so is nice in heavy traffic but I think he'll fill out and be a dashing third tall defender like Ryan Burton mixed with Lever. He'll be good just not really what we need to me. I won't cry if we get him though either. There is something about him reminds me of Nick Maxwell and I can't put my finger on it, I think it's the speed away from a contest while holding the ball ready to handball as he goes.

I hope I'm wrong because it sounds like we are getting him, I reckon he'll be an okay running back but, I wouldn't have him in our sights at all, prefer others and not a type we need. Seems like Trout pick though because of those reasons.

I'm the opposite, I reckon he is exactly the type we need. I am sick and tired of playing teams like Adelaide that have a conveyor belt of players around midfield and half back that just carve us up and laugh at our "pressure" with laser like kicking. Who do we have? Robbo, that's about it. Jimmy and Gilbo are prone to clangers, Jake is good but primarily a tall.... Our midfielders? Steven, prone to clangers, Ross, the same...., Acres? Love him but is a clanger merchant. Who else can we depend on? No wonder watching our team us drives a lot of us nuts, we pretty much have no composure whatsoever and get goals through frenetic passages of pressure footy.

On the above, you couldn't pick a club that needs a player with the attributes of Nick Coffield more than the St Kilda football club. Just praying he falls to us.

There's a growing unease among Collingwood supporters around who they're being linked to. It's magic, I love seeing those knuckle draggers sweat. If they take Murphy, I'm betting the Lexus Centre cops a bricking.

Having said that, if they take Coffield I'll go from zen to melt in 0.4 seconds.

Imagine the melts if they pick Ed Richards lmao

I'm getting the impression that Coffield and Clark is a combination that shouldn't be taken.

In isolation, Coffield appears to have the superior traits. So if we're going to take a gamble on a half back who may not make it to fulltime midfield, we should only do it once and on the once with the better skills.

It's the flashy stuff that HC does that makes him look exciting while he does it. Coffield is very solid and consistent but doesn't have that energiser bunny quality HC has. HC is manic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just don't see him as a wing man or outside mid. His clean hands and burst from traffic are his strengths so half back flank or inside mid are best fits. He's got some really good qualities but Mc Kenzie, Rice and White are already on the list and unable to find a spot there still. We have been waiting for years to get an outside mid and I'm starting to worry it's going to be another draft with out one. He's not the worst player but we would want to get a bit of flash with the other top 10. Luckily there is always Hartung to fall back on, yay.

Yeah, if you can't see him playing around the middle of the ground I can see why you would be wary of him. I reckon he looks the type that would have no problems with it but each to their own, this is a draft that will make a lot of recruiters nervous as it is unpredictable and a few know they will have egg on their face in a few years or even earlier.

I'm the opposite, I reckon he is exactly the type we need. I am sick and tired of playing teams like Adelaide that have a conveyor belt of players around midfield and half back that just carve us up and laugh at our "pressure" with laser like kicking. Who do we have? Robbo, that's about it. Jimmy and Gilbo are prone to clangers, Jake is good but primarily a tall.... Our midfielders? Steven, prone to clangers, Ross, the same...., Acres? Love him but is a clanger merchant. Who else can we depend on? No wonder watching our team us drives a lot of us nuts, we pretty much have no composure whatsoever and get goals through frenetic passages of pressure footy.

On the above, you couldn't pick a club that needs a player with the attributes of Nick Coffield more than the St Kilda football club. Just praying he falls to us.

I think it's more we get it out of defence then our constipated mids get turned inside out trying to spread, they turn it over then it goes back over their heads. We need some Gaff/ Kelly type runners to get front footed and sprint away.

I agree but I just want one instant star, every other club seems to find them and we have to wait patiently looking over our shoulders. I have no ability to handle delayed gratification. I want everything now, I'm blue-balling for success or at least very strong pointers that it's not far off. It's going to take a lot of luck to even make finals next year and then we have to start going up from there. Realistically it's probably 2019 to play finals and a Premiership somewhere around 2022 if we are lucky. That just depresses me, I honestly don't believe I'll see a premiership in my life time any more. I just hope that the genetic disorder my kids inherited in the St Kilda footy club doesn't do it to them too.

In the meantime please at least let me see a few stars play good footy. I just want a Milney to get me through the tough times, Please you footy god campaigners.
I think you will witness premiership success if u dont kick the bucket in the next 5/6 years.
Its happening,Go Saints

This the same 190cm running back that kicked 13 goals this season - can take a contested grab and had over 30 possessions a few times

Agree that he is unlikely to transition to midfield - doesn't seem like he has the tools
And broke even ‘tagging’ Rayner.... ;)

Do coffield and Stephenson help with our issues though? They're both flankers / only a maybe midfielder ... id have thought going into this draft we'd have wanted minimum one pure mid and hopefully two... coffield the more interesting selection given he's mainly a back flanker .. nice player don't get me wrong but does he become an outside mid ?

I think it's more we get it out of defence then our constipated mids get turned inside out trying to spread, they turn it over then it goes back over their heads. We need some Gaff/ Kelly type runners to get front footed and sprint away.

Agree but the main thing for me it's all about keeping possession. Do you remember that Sydney game this year when our season started to unravel? All Longmire did, after watching Bolton almost succeed the week before, was instruct his team from defense and midfield to go one-on-one with their opponents and sit on their shoulders. He knew it was inevitable that we would turn it over/give their players a chance to spoil or intercept because our skills weren't up to hitting targets beyond 2-3 safe options coming out of defense.

It was awful and showed both how easy we were to beat and how poor the skill level of a lot of our players is. We do a lot right, and play with great heart etc. but we simply need blokes in the defensive half of the ground/up until the wing and linking to our forwards that just pick the right option every time. A bloke like Coffield coming on in the next few years and playing a linking and leadership role across the most important part of the ground in modern footy (half back, midfield) will go a long way towards turning us into a team that doesn't just rely on pressure to create scoring opportunities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back