Opinion 2017 Draft Discussion - Pick 3 - Poll added

Who we are likely to take at Pick 3 .......

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Been thinking about the GWS : Brander connection for a while. 6 months ago he was an academy selection and definitely GWS bound IMO.

Reckon they would still be super keen to get him. Spoken about as a forward but many suggest he will be a key defender. Exactly what they need. Our 1st this year should get it done.

Some may disagree but I think pick 2 or 3 will just about be enough for an out of contract Kelly (especially should he nominate us).

Statistically GWS greatest weakness is defence - hence their greatest need.

Probably why they were so peeved to lose Marchbank.

I'm sure SOS is spending plenty of time wondering how he can manipulate this to our advantage.

I.e. Provide them one our young KPD's or a pick to get the player they want - then get the picks/players he wants.

Love your optimism, but with Cripps out, we are really going to struggle with contested ball. I also think we'll start to see a few more fringe players have a run to see what they're capable of before seasons end, and the blooding of newbies too. We'll finish with pick 2 or 3 IMO.

We will jag a few more, but I tend to agree. We've got 5 RS nominees now, nobody's worried about our long-term future, but ultimately we're just not strong enough on-field at present to do much damage and Cripps is one of our few exceptional players in an area we're pretty poor in.

Better a top3 this year than a top 10 pick next year because Carlton will more than likely be forced to use next years pick to match a bid on BSOS.......according to where he could be rated. I think that they will want to "spend" the 2018 pick now rather than just lose it for Ben.
Look I know there has been a lot of talk about ben but at this stage he has only played school footy and there has been a hell of a lot of talk about how good next years draft is, from what we had seen so far over the champs there is no way ben will be considered a top 10 pick for next year during the trade period this year.

None of the mids in this draft excite me. So I'm hoping we trade for an inside bull or two to help Cripps with the heavy lifting. With Cripps being injured I'll like to see what Fisher and Cunningham can do on the inside. I also think we really need some outside speed on the wings and flanks but must be good users of the footy. Polson, Sumner, Pickett, Gallucci and LeBois could be enough but would love to add another one or two speedster like Liam Ryan (who I was really keen on in last years draft) plus he know how to kick a goal.

There are some interesting forwards in this draft. Everyone is on the Brander bandwagon but I dont see what he adds to our list that we don't get from Weitering, Macreadie, Marchbank and Kerr. Coleman-Jones to me is the same type of player as McKay but I'm a big fan. Sutherland if he choose football will be a star. Allen is the one forward I really hope we pick up, I can see him, Silvagni and C.Curnow playing a hybrid midfield/ tall forward rolls and being really dangerous and hard to matchup on.

I also think this is the year to draft a ruckman with so really exciting ones out there Hayes, Ballenden(Brisbane) and Crossley( Gold Coast). I'm a big fan of Crossley's aggression and hardness and really hope GC don't take him.

If we haven't fixed our lack of class midfield depth after this year's trade and draft, and say Gibbs leaves too, what you suggest will result in us using our second pick in 2018 and most likely lose our third or points value from a 2019 pick ... that is, we would get Ben and then our next pick would be a third or fourth rounder ...

So if there was a year to give up our first round pick to address our need of class midfield depth, I would say it's our 2017, and keep our 2018 picks. Get a pick in the 2018 draft for another highly rated class midfielder before we are 'forced' to match for Ben, and I will be very pleased.
Me as well, but I think that I saw somewhere where he may be rated top 10 and it would only take some team below us to nominate him and there goes our 2018 first rounder..........I guess that is why SOS hid Jack a fair bit in his draft year and I think that he may do it again next year with Ben. Would love to get another "free" kid with that first pick but doubt it.........SOS will know what to expect I reckon, so we will have to wait until the trades in Oct for him to show his hand on which pick/picks (if any) may be used to secure a player or players. Obviously 2018 is going to be a better draft talent wise, but Carlton should have 3rd pick this draft so they are bound to get a good kid with a pick that early in this draft. Without Cripps I can only see the blues winning 1 or 2 more games and that is being optimistic because we may be stuck on a reef for the rest of the season without our best player...........I hope I am wrong.........but?!?!

Me as well, but I think that I saw somewhere where he may be rated top 10 and it would only take some team below us to nominate him and there goes our 2018 first rounder..........I guess that is why SOS hid Jack a fair bit in his draft year and I think that he may do it again next year with Ben. Would love to get another "free" kid with that first pick but doubt it.........SOS will know what to expect I reckon, so we will have to wait until the trades in Oct for him to show his hand on which pick/picks (if any) may be used to secure a player or players. Obviously 2018 is going to be a better draft talent wise, but Carlton should have 3rd pick this draft so they are bound to get a good kid with a pick that early in this draft. Without Cripps I can only see the blues winning 1 or 2 more games and that is being optimistic because we may be stuck on a reef for the rest of the season without our best player...........I hope I am wrong.........but?!?!
I don't think SOS can hide Ben I am afraid.
School footy reports are that he carved up Clavarino, a Top 15-20 Prospect for this year's draft who performed reasonably well at the carnival.
Is taller than Jack and barring injury will play in club and most likely carnival matches next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been reported on the D&T board by quite a few posters.
As usual, take with a grain of salt.
Stems from one Geelong poster claiming to be in the know - I dont doubt hopper is looking at Geelong. I certainly doubt any trade price has been decided for him already. General giant seems to trust this poster....

He trusted Snookers though, who is an idiot and troll.

When you've had too many of these...

Generic_SpiritBottle.ashx

I'm not as think as you drunk I am.......officer.

*HIC*
Good afterable constanoon I'm not under the affluence of incahol

If Hopper nominates Geelong, Pick 20 + change will most likely get it done. That change may be the Cats' future second, or a player, if you consider Hopper to be worth a pick in the mid teens (14-16) then you don't need to add much to Pick 20 to balance things out.

If we've got Kelly quietly sewn up, it may be that Hopper is off our list by our own choice.

If Hopper nominates Geelong, Pick 20 + change will most likely get it done. That change may be the Cats' future second, or a player, if you consider Hopper to be worth a pick in the mid teens (14-16) then you don't need to add much to Pick 20 to balance things out.

If we've got Kelly quietly sewn up, it may be that Hopper is off our list by our own choice.
Hopper was taken top 10 and has kept that value if not enhanced it. Cats are known to not mess around with deals for unders too, they usually pay a fair price.

Hopper was taken top 10 and has kept that value if not enhanced it. Cats are known to not mess around with deals for unders too, they usually pay a fair price.

I'm not so sure Hopper has held his value at all. There's plenty of potential, for sure, but his formline since his debut hasn't been travelling the right direction.

32 touches on debut in Round 8 2016.
Played another 9 games after that in 2016, averaging 15.5 disposals.
This season he's only managed 6 games, and averages 16.8 touches per game.

He was Pick 7 in 2015, but between injury and lack of continuity hasn't really had a standout game since his debut. Definitely a solid citizen, potentially a gun inside mid, out of contract, maybe injury-prone? Pick 14-16 would likely get it over the line for whichever club he nominates.

If GWS are basing the return on points for academy bids, Pick ~15 equates to Picks 20 + 55.
If the Cats offered up Pick 20 + their 2018 second (~35?) the points equate to Pick 9-10 anyway.

If Hopper nominates Geelong, I imagine our second rounder and their future second would seal the deal.

*BUMP AGAIN!

The Nationals aren't far off and some of us will be looking at what may be on offer at years end.

At this stage we have a pick that looks as though it may be a top 4 but with no second rounder available.

This thread is not to cut across List Management, but just to discuss potential draftees. Youtube videos welcome.

LemmingMaster is representing Carlton in the 2017 BF Phantom Draft.

Always a good read for those who are interested -

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...om-draft-trial-run-starts-monday-9am.1170814/

At this stage he has us taking...

Pick 3 - Carlton - Cameron Rayner

If you're looking at this draft from a talent perspective, this guy is probably top of your list. As a great mix of explosiveness and skill. People are attempting to compare him with Dusty but then this is when it highlights the main concern with regards to Rayner is his endurance. He has recorded a sub 12 beep test if I am not mistaken and that is terrible and does not bode well for his transition into the midfield long term. Dusty on the other hand was posting beep tests above 14, so he had a tank to go with his ability.
If Rayner had posted a 13 beep test, then most people would sleep a little easier selecting him at the pointy end of the draft.

I was talking to an ex recruiter and he said Rayner reminds him of Heeney up forward with that combination of power and ability. Moving into the AFL he will probably become a small forward with the potential to have short bursts in the midfield. Unless he really builds a solid tank, then he may never transition into the midfield and will always be a small forward. Carlton since losing Betts, Garlett and Yaz have really struggled for some small forward options with the likes of Wright, Lamb, Sumner filling the void for the last few years. I could see Rayner kicking 30-40 goals a year and providing short bursts in the midfield. I like his kicking style and ability when he moves in the midfield, looks like a natural player. His strength and power allows him to play inside and outside.

I would have loved to select a Brander, Sutherland {insert tall} but nothing just stands out. I think Brander is potentially a defender first, Carlton have plenty of tall defending options, so not really a need for us at the moment.

Pick 38 - Carlton - Charlie Spargo

Carlton have been seriously lacking small forwards for a long period of time since we dumped our three amigos. Spargo was a super talented small forward with the ability to move into the midfield as a 17 year old last year. I've not seen him in 2017 with injury robbing me of a chance. I am backing on his upwards progression in ability and everything that I noticed in 2017 point to me thinking he can succeed even with his height at AFL level.

Some of the best kicking skills in his draft group and high level football IQ that has solid skills on both sides of his body. Very smart around goals and I really like him in the midfield as well. Carlton with a number of taller players selected recently could do with someone at their feet.

Pick 56 - Carlton - Callum England

Callum England is a player that when you're selecting at this point in the draft, you just hope for a few AFL qualities.
England for me has a kick that lacks penetration at the moment and is average. He has a smallish body shape and it does not scream like he will develop into an inside midfielder. He seems very outside and would need to work on his inside ability to make it at AFL level.

Now what he does have is speed, endurance and just a knowledge of where to run and how to get open. He really stood out to me for his run from the contest and ability to find open space. (I did not check on his defensive running, but I don't think it was a massive highlight, even if I think WA had an insanely good defensive unit at the champs). Ainsworth on the other hand, seemed to run both ways often.

He was also making attacking runs from the midfield and pumping the ball inside 50. Missed a few running shots for goal, so I think he will need to work on his kicking while on the run. Maybe needs to steady a step or two before kicking on the run, just shanks a few kicks running at full pace.

Spargo would be an absolute bargain at 38

I just hope my memory of him last year is not incorrect. He was a jet (even if he was tiny) last year. I was spewing that GWS had a chance to get Brander and Spargo, so having them in the open market would be handy.

It would be good having Spargo and Rayner in the forward line at the feet of Silvagni, Curnow, McKay, Levi... They would also both have the ability to move into the midfield and not look out of place as they're both natural midfielders.

I just hope my memory of him last year is not incorrect. He was a jet (even if he was tiny) last year. I was spewing that GWS had a chance to get Brander and Spargo, so having them in the open market would be handy.

It would be good having Spargo and Rayner in the forward line at the feet of Silvagni, Curnow, McKay, Levi... They would also both have the ability to move into the midfield and not look out of place as they're both natural midfielders.

I actually see Spargo more of a midfielder despite being 175CM. Harder than a cat's head, never shies away from a contest, punches above his weight. Very smooth on both side of the body and strong hands overhead. Reminds me a fair bit of Devon Smith. Would be shocked if he got through to the 3rd round, I rated him in front of Higgins, before his injury

Back