Opinion 2017 Draft Discussion - Pick 3 - Poll added

Who we are likely to take at Pick 3 .......

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

So I may understand your criticism of my post, do you believe obtaining a small forward is more important than adding another tall forward, midfield and small lock-down (not rebounding) defender?
Midfield is our biggest glaring issue. Byrne is our small defender but he's out injured all the time, and might be suited as a running back, so a small defender might be nice.

Anybody got opinions re Paddy Dow. Seems to have come into contention as top 10 pick, possibly top 5.

The midfielders consistently being talked about as top 5 are;
Cameron Rayner
Luke Davies-Uniacke
Adam Cerra

Paddy Dow seems to be entering the discussion of top 5. Hard at it , contested ball player with pace and agility. Really bursts from stoppages. Do have a slight question mark over awareness of options prior to disposing of ball but he still looks good.

Will be interested to see if he becomes an option for Carltons first pick. Would be good to have a contested ball player with pace next to Cripps.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I watched a little bit of the U/18 games and that LDU looks like a barrel-chested manchild who wasn't as dominant as I was expecting him to be.

I like the look of Cerra, everything I read and see about Coffield is positive and I'm disappointed Sutherland has decided not to enter the draft.

The List manager, Terry Wallace, on Future Stars, just pumping up Stephensen & Clark as tne best run & carry playrrs in this yesrs draft. Anyone know anuthing about them?
Clark has issues with his kicking.

Priority number one is line running elite skillful and quick mids. We have zero. Think Kelly and Scully. Go to a Carlton game and watch how slow and sloppy we are. No one runs forward with speed and quality composure.

Trade our first pick for Kelly. No one at the top end of this draft has the skills Kelly has. We also need another mature mid to lead our young group.

From there we need to hunt another inside mid. If we can't procure Hopper then we should probably draft a Brayshaw or Higgins type.

Honestly, we need another 4-5 mids. That's the reality.

Wish list:

Kelly
Hopper
Mid
Mid

Small lock down defender

Small forward with speed and pressure

Back up Ruckman

This is all preferably without losing Gibbs as well. Good luck SOS, that's quite a task.

Clark has issues with his kicking.

Of all the priorities, this is the key. SOS has been good in the last couple of drafts getting players who have good disposal and it must continue. Nothing kills a team more than butchering the ball, and is why Graham, Kerridge and co. will never make the grade.

Priority number one is line running elite skillful and quick mids. We have zero. Think Kelly and Scully. Go to a Carlton game and watch how slow and sloppy we are. No one runs forward with speed and quality composure.

Trade our first pick for Kelly. No one at the top end of this draft has the skills Kelly has. We also need another mature mid to lead our young group.

From there we need to hunt another inside mid. If we can't procure Hopper then we should probably draft a Brayshaw or Higgins type.

Honestly, we need another 4-5 mids. That's the reality.

Wish list:

Kelly
Hopper
Mid
Mid

Small lock down defender

Small forward with speed and pressure

Back up Ruckman

This is all preferably without losing Gibbs as well. Good luck SOS, that's quite a task.
Precisely the point. It may go without saying but I'll say it anyway; the higher our standards, the fewer we can bring in and we'll also need to make up the difference on our list with 'junk' players. Going to the draft is always cheaper so I'd rather take the hit to our established list if we want to get one or both of those players in. It evens out our age profile and potentially still leaves us with a pick or two earlier in the draft where we can still find players, rather than starting and finishing late.

Last edited:
As a small forward option I like Gryan Miers, had a huge game against Vic Metro and averages over 3 goals a game in tac cup. Should be available with our 3rd or 4th pick, can also push into the midfield. Not sure how quick he is though, combine testing will be interesting.

Surely Penrith or L.Hickmott with our final pick would be worth a look? Liam can play as a small defender but has pushed into the midfield and is now Subiaco's major ball winner.

Lloyd Meek as a project ruck with our first rookie selection would suit, he can do an apprenticeship and take over in 3-4 years when Kreuzer is finishing up.

Anybody got opinions re Paddy Dow. Seems to have come into contention as top 10 pick, possibly top 5.

The midfielders consistently being talked about as top 5 are;
Cameron Rayner
Luke Davies-Uniacke
Adam Cerra

Paddy Dow seems to be entering the discussion of top 5. Hard at it , contested ball player with pace and agility. Really bursts from stoppages. Do have a slight question mark over awareness of options prior to disposing of ball but he still looks good.

Will be interested to see if he becomes an option for Carltons first pick. Would be good to have a contested ball player with pace next to Cripps.

Of the guys you mentioned, as pure midfielders, Cerra, Dow LDU/Rayner in that order for me

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Priority number one is line running elite skillful and quick mids. We have zero.
Whats Cripps then?

There isn't too many problems with the midfield from what I can see. On their day Cripps, Murphy, Gibbs and Kerridge can all be elite, skilful and quick.

I believe SOS will continue to draft/trade in players with pace, agility and elite disposal, no matter what position players fill

I wouldn't specifically target small forwards/backs, that generally evolves from midfield depth, someone like a Fisher, SPS type could handle a forward role, while guys like a Pickett type could handle a small defender role

Whats Cripps then?

There isn't too many problems with the midfield from what I can see. On their day Cripps, Murphy, Gibbs and Kerridge can all be elite, skilful and quick.

I wouldn't rate any of those guys as having elite speed and we do need to find replacements for Murphy and Gibbs in time

You don't think that small forwards, cummers and goal kicking HFFs might be useful too?

I know people cry for them every year but personally I think a tall forward is almost the last thing we need. Harry, Curnow and SOS have got that well covered.

Basically l do not understand why we need a key forward. Just because it's a problem now doesn't mean it will be in a few years. In fact it will be a strength of Carltons once a number of players mature.

McKay and curnow look like the key forwards. Curnow yet to show anything that makes him a midfielder. When Silvagni is more mature and strong he might be able to play a hybrid sort of role and Weitering will be able to play key forward in a few years.

In my eyes it would be wrong for Carlton to take a key position player in this years draft. Our young key position talent is excellent. I'm hoping for 4 or 5 small to medium sized players from this draft.

I believe SOS will continue to draft/trade in players with pace, agility and elite disposal, no matter what position players fill

I wouldn't specifically target small forwards/backs, that generally evolves from midfield depth, someone like a Fisher, SPS type could handle a forward role, while guys like a Pickett type could handle a small defender role

Good call.

I have a strong feeling that if Pickett is going to make it in the AFL, it will be as a small defender instead of a small forward.

He has the pace to go with all of the small nippy forwards in the competition so it would all come down to whether he can be reprogrammed to play as a pure defender.

Back