List Mgmt. 2017 Draft Needs...

Remove this Banner Ad

Assuming we have 10,17, 22, if any combination of Rozee, Hately and another good Vic country or similar prospect are best available at our projected picks, I would personally prefer the 3 good prospects rather than 1 brilliant one.

Yeah, its not a simple choice to trade three of those types of players away for one player. If we could keep the pick that would give us Rozee and then trade our 2019 first and whatever else is needed to get Rankine or Lukosius that would be a pretty good outcome. But it also becomes a case of if Rankine or Lukosius slip to a pick that we can easily trade for, are they still worth it :)

True - all I'm saying is, if Crows want to target Lukos, the only way is to trade for pick 1. If we traded up to pick 3 hoping to land either him or Rankine, with our luck, they might go 1 and 2, and we miss.

I think it will be interesting this coming draft that if we get a chance at Foggy at pick 12 and whether Crows take him or not. If not, that would show that Crows don't really care about the SA bred factor, in which case the might go into 2018 with the picks we have (maybe some minor upgrading) and draft several players best available at those picks.
I think that's pretty clear by wanting to trade out of this years draft - Fogarty is not a must have

If he was a must have we could have almost guaranteed it

Assuming we have 10,17, 22, if any combination of Rozee, Hately and another good Vic country or similar prospect are best available at our projected picks, I would personally prefer the 3 good prospects rather than 1 brilliant one.
That picks combo means we have 10, 17, 22 & 40 - maybe we could try and upgrade 10, 22 & 40 as high as possible, maybe an early mid like pick 5. This might give a chance at one of Luk/Ran (if either slip a bit or others zoom up) and one of Roz/Hat - if we miss Luk/Ran then maybe get both of Roz/Hat.

I had a look at our list (albeit using fairly simplistic approach) as per pix below and I think list spots are getting scarce so maybe we can afford to go with drafting fewer but higher quality players (or trading a gun player). We will get a better look at our 2016 draftees and see how many track as well as many have been bullish (that I've read) about. If we keep adding premium draft picks, we will have to start delisting good players.

Gibbs - In.png

Last edited:
If and it is a big IF Sloane leaves all we get is an end of first round pick if we finish top that pick19. He is a Free agent, not a restricted free agent.

Not if he does what Dangerfield encouraged Geelong to do and demands the club he goes to hand over a first round pick and more to the crows in return for his signature...

That picks combo means we have 10, 17, 22 & 40 - maybe we could try and upgrade 10, 22 & 40 as high as possible, maybe an early mid like pick 5. This might give a chance at one of Luk/Ran (if either slip a bit or others zoom up) and one of Roz/Hat - if we miss Luk/Ran then maybe get both of Roz/Hat.

I had a look at our list (albeit using fairly simplistic approach) as per pix below and I think list spots are getting scarce so maybe we can afford to go with drafting fewer but higher quality players (or trading a gun player). We will get a better look at our 2016 draftees and see how many track as well as many have been bullish (that I've read) about. If we keep adding premium draft picks, we will have to start delisting good players.

View attachment 431208
I understand completely, and as such I wouldnt be opposed to packaging up 22 + 40 + potentially a player like Douglas to get another pick inside the top 15, if that's what Haggis wants to work with for who he has in mind.

Next year's delistings and/or trade steak knives are probably something like Dear, Otten (assuming Himmelberg keeps improving) Hunter/ROB (one of them won't make it unfortunately), Beech and Ellis-Yolmen. That's 5 spots or so spots up for grabs, which the 3 top 30 picks + a trade/rookie pick or two would accomadate.

Only 23. I actually think he has some good skills. De Melbourneise him. In the right environment you never know. Might even fill a bit of the cameron role if he comes on. Left footer too. That's just my opinion though. No worse than Port getting Watts.

If someone fails at 2 clubs, they'll fail at 3 clubs.

Kennedy's career is done; lets not waste our time here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unless your name is Martin Pyke

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

To be fair on Pyke, he only "failed" due to alcoholism/off field s**t more then anything else.

Mind you, he wouldn't have had a career nowdays. (Is interesting thinking who wouldn't due to the requirements to be a professional).

I'd have the gun pick like dusty

I don't know. I'd prefer to take the multiple picks now and if Luk/Ran are picked early, and do look like developing into guns, we convince them to come home after two years and give up two firsts for them... that seems the going rate for wantaway guns. And it's a price I'd be more than willing to pay if a young guy from SA looks the goods after a couple of years in the system - and we convince him to come home...

So does anyone know if the AFL announce an under 16 All Australian side after those championships? If so, how many of those selected usually end up getting drafted a couple of years down the line?

I don't know. I'd prefer to take the multiple picks now and if Luk/Ran are picked early, and do look like developing into guns, we convince them to come home after two years and give up two firsts for them... that seems the going rate for wantaway guns. And it's a price I'd be more than willing to pay if a young guy from SA looks the goods after a couple of years in the system - and we convince him to come home...

Like Burton Hayward or Graham

Isn't it sad how we're scared of drafting Vic metro kids now because they might just piss off in three years' time anyway?
To be fair the club doesn't seem to be, we drafted one with our first round pick last year

As long as we pick the best available talent, I'm fine with Vic Metro blokes. We need to back our system in

Remove this Banner Ad

Back