List Mgmt. 2017 Draft Needs...

Remove this Banner Ad

You cannot always get players who are all rounded so I am all for building a team around extreme players who excel at one facet of the game so that it rubs off on the rest of the team. What they excel in can be mental or physical. There is always something to learn. What do the Crows lack ?
Star power in midfield and brute size in there

People over reacted to how good GWS would be - consensus was premiership inevitable

Now people over reacting to their relatively down year this year. Where they came top 4 despite big injury problems

If they can get a clear run with injury, and with a more mobile forward line, they are set for a strong year

Smith the only meaningful loss. And he hasn’t put together an injury free run for ages, so it’s not like they are losing someone they have relied on during the last two years

Don’t think losing Hoskin-Elliot or Matt Kennedy will be a factor.

Still lots of talent there from Kelly and Shiel and Cameron through to Taranto and Setterfield...

I think they'll be strong for a while, genuine top 4 challengers, but they certainly don't look like becoming the unbeatable force that was feared, winning 8 premierships in a row kind of deal.

True , but being Carlton they will have natural attraction for trade targets once they come good . Guys that want to play in a successful club at a big Melbourne club

At present, I think there's still a lot of ?'s with Carlton. They've recruited well in defense, but their midfield is still very reliant on senior players, one of whom's just left and Murphy's not going to be around forever. Their forward line as well is still very much "potential" based, Curnows the one that looks the goods, but then so did Menzel. Nothing to get too bullish about at Carlton just yet, they've been coming, cooking and whatever else for a long time now...

They all sound impressive when you mention afl players like Jackson Edwards is along the lines of Simon black

If he was half as good as black he would be a number 1 draft pick

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Black was viewed as a slow average player .....taken at #31 in the Draft

Lets not compare an undrafted player with a player who's had a whole career to amass achievements ......all we're saying is Edwards playing style & skillset is similar to Black ....TWT if he turns out to be as good a player?

The lad wants to be a Pie, good luck with that Jarrod, wants to go to a club where he'll get the opportunity to play senior footy in 2018, how about you earn your stripes first son. Horse - Cart.

Agree .....but that's how the 18 yo's feel these days ......i remember the 20 yo Lever being miffed he was left out of the side in his 2nd year

Black was viewed as a slow average player .....taken at #31 in the Draft

Lets not compare an undrafted player with a player who's had a whole career to amass achievements ......all we're saying is Edwards playing style & skillset is similar to Black ....TWT if he turns out to be as good a player?

My point was they are over inflated or overhyped when mentioning their name with a Patrick Dangerfield Rory Sloane Scott pendelbury

By mentioning legends of the game it over inflates things

Would they be better off leaving those legends out of it and saying they are an inside mid that likes the contest or an outside runner with good speed

The lad wants to be a Pie, good luck with that Jarrod, wants to go to a club where he'll get the opportunity to play senior footy in 2018, how about you earn your stripes first son. Horse - Cart.

Now draftees are selecting clubs publicly? How is this not blatant draft tampering?

Absolute bullshit

My point was they are over inflated or overhyped when mentioning their name with a Patrick Dangerfield Rory Sloane Scott pendelbury

By mentioning legends of the game it over inflates things

Would they be better off leaving those legends out of it and saying they are an inside mid that likes the contest or an outside runner with good speed

I understand & agree with what you're saying .....but the fans in general don't follow Draftees ......the best way to describe a player to the average fan, is to draw a comparison

But i do agree that by that comparison, it tends to elevate the Draftee's supposed abilities

Now draftees are selecting clubs publicly? How is this not blatant draft tampering?

Absolute bullshit

It’s pretty arrogant i suppose.. but in a way I almost wish they all would.. atleast then the clubs all know what to expect...

And the way it’s going now none of these young lads care too much for free agency or even the fact they are contracted anymore. They simply say “I’m homesick.. I want to be traded and this is the club I want to go to, if you (their current club) don’t like it then too bad”.

The AFL don’t seem to care.. when Lever did this a few weeks ago we didn’t see anyone from the AFL hierarchy come and say “sorry Jake, we have rules and you need to earn and achieve free agency before you can demand which club you want to go to”..

They've lost Smith, M. Kennedy and Wilson who were all best 22 or thereabouts, plus Stevie J and Mumford. There are question marks over whether Griffen and Deledio will ever offer anything.

Don't get me wrong, they still have a very good side, but they don't have the depth of talent they used to have. The bottom 10 players of their squad include names such as Dawson Simpson, Sam Reid, Daniel Lloyd, Tom Downie, Jeremy Finlayson, Matthew Flynn, Lachlan Tiziani. They actually played De Boer and Mzungu at times this year. Previously that list used to be flush with first round picks.
Fair enough. Players 20-25 will be worse in 2018 than 2016.

I don’t think that will have a big impact on their results.

They made a call to spend the cap space retaining a star (Kelly) and sacrifice the depth. I think that was the right call.

I think fitness and progression of their top 10-15 will matter more.

Jeff said they might have peaked! I highly doubt that.

With full seasons from their gun mids I expect top 4 or better.

I think they'll be strong for a while, genuine top 4 challengers, but they certainly don't look like becoming the unbeatable force that was feared, winning 8 premierships in a row kind of deal.
Bang on.

Thinking they would win 8 premierships in a row was an over reaction.

Thinking 2 years later that now they have peaked is also an over reaction.

That’s life! :rainbow:

Yea he’s not selecting a club, he’s saying he wants to play AFL next year and he doesn’t rate Collingwood’s talls (he’s not wrong there)

Perhaps it might be a subtle dig he doesn’t want to be picked up by GWS

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair enough. Players 20-25 will be worse in 2018 than 2016.

I don’t think that will have a big impact on their results.

They made a call to spend the cap space retaining a star (Kelly) and sacrifice the depth. I think that was the right call.

I think fitness and progression of their top 10-15 will matter more.

Jeff said they might have peaked! I highly doubt that.

With full seasons from their gun mids I expect top 4 or better.

Their crop of draft concession players are hitting the 90-100 game mark now.

They also get to churn their first rounders - those that they might see as not going to be really good they can trade out for more r1 picks (roughly):
2017 GWS get pick #11 from Ess (DSmith)
2016 #2 from Freo/Bris (McCarthy)
2015 #10 from Melb/Coll & 2016 r1 from Coll (Treloar)

Eileen Dursley expand.gif Eileen Dursley expand.gif [0.8mb]

HPotter[02]Chamber phoenix.gif HPotter[02]Chamber phoenix.gif [1.0mb]

the eye guy.gif the eye guy.gif [1.2mb]

[tenor.com] hes-back cOsiTargIp8AAAAC [e].gif [0.5mb]

Last edited:
We are so unpredictable with the draft its kind of refreshing compared to team selection.
Fogarty or Bonar wouldbe great gets imo. But it wouldnt surprise me if we reach for a kid we know **** all about. Hamish has a good eye.

If he pulls another Doedee move though I'm not gonna be too impressed...Marty will have a cow.

The last two years they have missed some enormous SA opportunities

Very true, Gooch and Hayward remain to be seen who wins that one, we know who's ahead at the moment and Gooch did improve consistently this year. He still hasn't signed on though. If Doedee helps us win a premiership though it's a good pick.

Very true, Gooch and Hayward remain to be seen who wins that one, we know who's ahead at the moment and Gooch did improve consistently this year. He still hasn't signed on though. If Doedee helps us win a premiership though it's a good pick.

I was thinking

Hayward over Gooch
Graham over pohlkoke

And the obvious one

Burton over Doedee

Good.

We need to take this more seriously, I suspect Burton, Pyke and Reid are in on it alongside Haggis.

Good.

We need to take this more seriously, I suspect Burton, Pyke and Reid are in on it alongside Haggis.

If they pick Victorian talent so be it but please exhaust all resources at checking out what is available here did they do that the last two years it appears not with what has been missed

Remove this Banner Ad

Back