List Mgmt. 2017 Draft Needs...

Remove this Banner Ad

Told an unreliable rumour we've told Stefan Giro we'll pick him as a rookie if he doesn't go in the national draft (and no one else takes him as a rookie).

So potentially if everything fell our way we're looking at Cam Ellis-Yolmen, Lachlan Murphy, Jackson Edwards and Stefan Giro with our rookie picks?
Hasn't Giro been training with Port more recently, which would indicate they are right into him as well ??

It really is no rocket science!
Just because you have the money, it doesn't mean that you have to spend it especially on someone that you think is not worth that pick.

Let's face it, pick 77 is not much different to a rookie draft selection in terms of how speculative the pick is. The difference is that with pick 77 or whatever it is, you are committing to a minimum of 2 years to a player who may or may not work out compared to one year on the rookie list. We are not only talking about salary only here but also money that is invested in development for the player etc....It was mentioned by Hamish (i think it was last year) that with salary it costs the club somewhere between $250k-300k per season to have a player on the list.

If we had more earlier picks where there is still talent that we rate at "draftable" then we would have gone with more players on the main list. I don't want us drafting the player just because we have the spot if we think that he is a speculative pick and better placed as a rookie pick. With rookies you keep them for a year and decide whether they are worth keeping longer than that. I don't want a repeat of Obst where we drafted him to the main list and then cut him a year later but still needed to pay him and have his salary count against the salary cap for his 2nd year when he was no longer part of the club and playing his footy at Centrals.

Picks that we have in the 70s and 90s are speculative at best. They are no different to rookie picks so why waste the list spots and resources on something that you are not convinced about when you can have them as rookies and see how they go in the next 12 months before deciding whether they are worth persisting with or not.

That's not to say that we won't pick a player with our 3rd pick if we had him rated much higher. We did it with Davis last year and if we think there is a player there worth committing to for 2 years, I think we will pull the trigger again.

In terms of 1st round picks over the last couple of years, let's just wait and see how that pans out over the next year or two shall we?
Boy did you go off on a long tangent in wrong direction Stiffy.
Although did suggest i personally would prefer to see us use our 70s pick ,my main point was did not understand why we would use 2 overall picks less to be on minimum overall when we have been so successful in that area especially rookies .
In fact most of our top players come from rookies so why not try for gold with 1 yr rookie contract.
Surely we should be able to budget for 2 rookie spots with a decrease in wages this year.
Next year all rookies and many others will be out of contract that can be cut whilst sorting out Rory etc.
The other point was that Hamish etc has only Talia and Matt Crouch left with runs on the board from top picks from last 5 years or so and that is fact and not me saying any of us could have done better.

Last edited:
... my main point was did not understand why we would use 2 overall picks less to be on minimum overall when we have been so successful in that area especially rookies .
In fact most of our top players come from rookies so why not try for gold with 1 yr rookie contract.
Surely we should be able to budget for 2 rookie spots with a decrease in wages this year. ...
It's may be more a case of having free list spots for next year. At this stage we look like having 3 r1 (or near r1) picks for next year so we could be wanting to draft 4, maybe even 5 players in the 2018 ND.

We'll see soon how many rookies we do take on Monday(?)

[gfycat.com] shut-it-down-dark-city [e].gif [gfycat.com] shut-it-down-dark-city [e].gif [0.5mb]

[gifimage.net] american-werewolf-in-london [e].gif [gifimage.net] american-werewolf-in-london [e].gif [0.8mb]

Last edited:
It's may be more a case of having free list spots for next year. At this stage we look like having 3 r1 (or near r1) picks for next year so we could be wanting to draft 4, maybe even 5 players in the 2018 ND.

Not to mention if we decide to upgrade a rookie or two next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have to fit McGovern in from free agency as well :)

Have to fit McGovern in from free agency as well :)

www-smh-com-au-jtcastle_-e-jpg.720159

sign0085.gif ... wtf.gif ... sign0137.gif ... sign0103.gif ... sign0098.gif ... i see what you did.png

Last edited:
IMHO, what we need are a
- Speedy, long kicking rebounding defender
- Quick outside mid with elite disposal skills and an appetite to tackle
- Another elite hydrid mid
- A superquick, high pressure small forward who can kick straight

What we don’t need are more
- Key Defenders
- Pure inside mids (we have the best one in the AFL, one is enough)
- Ruck Forwards (will they become the dinosaurs of the modern game?)

I wouldn’t use our first two picks on a
- Ruckman
- Key Forward

This will be my basis for going off like a pork chop tonight despite having limited knowledge of the draftees.

Your turn Marty :rolleyes:.

IMHO, what we need are a

- Key Defenders

- Ruckman
- Key Forward

This will be my basis for going off like a pork chop tonight despite having limited knowledge of the draftees.

I think if we can get out hands on an elite inside mid then we should - if he is the best available. I would rather we draft on talent rather than our current need. We have some players that are not that far way from their cliff, or possibly ready to go home. Sloane, Tex, Eddie, Talia, Matt Crouch, Brad crouch, Gov. The list could go on of players that could leave at the end of their existing contract or stop giving us the output they currently are within 3 or 4 years.

I want us to stick with the policy of best available. Whether that is Naughton at 12 or Houlihan at 39 - both players that would not be taken if we drafted for need according to your post.

Edit: My preference is not Naughton by the way, but he is one that I would take if all the other good ones go first. I dont want Richards or Higgins. Naughton vs Murphy would be an interesting choice.

IMHO, what we need are a

- Key Defenders

- Ruckman
- Key Forward

Agree on need for a rebounding defender, but don’t think it matters if they are tall or small. As long as they are a 2 way player. There’s been some good 2 way tall defenders like Scarlett, Rance, dare I say Lever...

Lockdown defenders not welcome, tall or small.

Agree on need for a rebounding defender, but don’t think it matters if they are tall or small. As long as they are a 2 way player. There’s been some good 2 way tall defenders like Scarlett, Rance, dare I say Lever...

Lockdown defenders not welcome, tall or small.
Murphy is Laird-esque rebound wise. Small, but provides good rebound.

Not sure I'm a fan of taking on Giro, Edwards and Murphy in the same rookie draft....

Giro, Gooch, Murphy, Jarman... All well on the smaller side, and only Jarman and Gooch have shown much propensity forward.

I also prefer Crowden to Giro as a forward/part time mid. But again, we can really only carry Betts, Laird, + 1 maybe 2 tops smalls. We'd be limiting their scope for development.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back