List Mgmt. 2017 Draft - Pick 10 - Poll Added

Who would YOU pick at #10 in this years draft? (Single Choice)

• Stephenson

Votes: 34 9.8%
  • Brayshaw

Votes: 82 23.7%
  • Coffield

Votes: 22 6.4%
  • Constable

Votes: 18 5.2%
  • Higgins

Votes: 31 9.0%
  • Brander

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • Bonar

Votes: 32 9.2%
  • Clark

Votes: 26 7.5%
  • DFogarty

Votes: 84 24.3%
  • Hayes

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Other

Votes: 9 2.6%

• Total voters

CRIPPA9

Senior List
Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Just ICYMI, Jake Niall categorically reported we won't be drafting Bonar, along with Stephenson as well. His Mail is usually impeccable so I'm ruling it out.

Providing there isn't a slider, my preference is LOB here. An elite athlete with a beautiful left peg and proven wing/midfield capabilities is something we don't currently have (Hopefully Williamson in due time as well).

Would prefer to look for a half-back with out later picks. One of Stoddart, Ling or Garner should be available at #30, whilst the middle of the draft appears so murky, we could end up with either Floyd or Paton at #73.

Last edited:

TGR

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2003
here
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
O'Briens contested numbers are not as bad as made out he averaged 9 per game. We can't all have contested midfielders/ bulls, It's about balancing your midfield. O'Brien is a more outside player with elite kicking and endurance machine. Exactly the type of player we need. Look at his 2016 all stars game as a bottom ager.

Hey, if we pick him then I'm satisfied that SOS and Brodie think that his contested game is up to scratch. I haven't seen heaps of him but I must say I haven't been blown away by him. I'd take Richards before him as I see a real competitors instinct in his game. Personally I'd actually gamble on Bonar if available. If he stays fit, he's going to be something else.

Nori

Club Legend
Nov 16, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
O'Briens contested numbers are not as bad as made out he averaged 9 per game. We can't all have contested midfielders/ bulls, It's about balancing your midfield. O'Brien is a more outside player with elite kicking and endurance machine. Exactly the type of player we need. Look at his 2016 all stars game as a bottom ager.
Exactly right. It's a bit hard for him to use his elite kicking and endurance when he's wrestling in contests. That doesn't mean he can't wrestle in contests when it's required. I'm definitely warming to the idea of picking O'Brien at 10. Looks all class!

Nori

Club Legend
Nov 16, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Not a fan of Bonar. I really don't see what other people are seeing.
I'd say Bonar is the riskiest 1st round prospect by a long, long way. There's plenty of other good players at pick10 that also have big up sides, but with much less risk.

Blubagger71

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton

It's from last Saturday...
Highlights the crux of an issue: there is a lot of conversation which confuses the landscape. The conversation is enjoyable but primarily speculation. A week after this article and I would still be happy with these two despite the talk of sliders and flyers. The players don't really change much if at all, just the conversation around them to further fuel the speculation. SOS will rock the house tonight regardless; pretty sure he isn't reading the Tele or the Age to get his info.

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Dow and LOB look like they're best mates. Would be a nice story, especially after LOB spent his AIS time with us.

Brent Daniels is very close with Dow too, could be a Vic C trio! Daniels at 30 is a bit of a reach though IMO

I have a good feeling about the prospect of a Dow LOB connection at CFC.

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Exactly right. It's a bit hard for him to use his elite kicking and endurance when he's wrestling in contests. That doesn't mean he can't wrestle in contests when it's required. I'm definitely warming to the idea of picking O'Brien at 10. Looks all class!

Struggled all year with injury. He’s a really quietly driven kid. I think he will excel in afl environment. Dream to see him at Carlton

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Just ICYMI, Jake Niall categorically reported we won't be drafting Bonar, along with Stephenson as well. His Mail is usually impeccable so I'm ruling it out.

Providing there isn't a slider, my preference is LOB here. An elite athlete with a beautiful left peg and proven wing/midfield capabilities is something we don't currently have (Hopefully Williamson in due to as well).

Would prefer to look for a half-back with out later picks. One of Stoddart, Ling or Garner should be available at #30, whilst the middle of the draft appears so murky, we could end up with either Floyd or Paton at #73.

Good to hear. While tempting we are not in a position to be rolling the dice with pick 10.

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Have a real problem with taking a player with any contested ball issues .
Not saying everyone needs to be Selwood but they need to go when it's their turn to go .
Having identified and flicked Boekhorst , we have to trust that Silvagni/Brodie/Bolton agree and if they decide O'Brien is our man then so be it ...

Fair call. The game is so contested now. Look at Tigers and how they fluked the flag. Ugly footy buy tough. Trents personal focus was to maim the opposition. Can LOB be tough?

Sheephead

Club Legend
Nov 23, 2009
In a good paddock
AFL Club
Carlton
I so want Clarke at Pick 10.

Reckon he will be a gun.
Ditto.

Fogarty is my other choice but I think he will go earlier with Stephenson probably dropping. Can’t shake the feeling that we will make what appears to be an underwhelming choice here; and by that I mean Richards or LOB. TBH, I’d take a chance on Stephenson before those two and I’m not a gambler. Bonar or Constable is also a more astute Pick here IMO.

I can't speak for LO'B much (only seen a few highlights) but I agree with your thinking. Running hard and getting a lot of uncontested is a strength, not a weakness.

AS LONG AS when that player doesn't have space and does have to win a contest, he does what he has to do and doesn't run in the other direction.

Scully doesn't need to play like Cripps. But he doesn't take a backwards step either.

TL;DR You don't have to get contested possessions, but you have to be able to.

Zlatan

Premiership Player
Dec 10, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Ditto.

Fogarty is my other choice but I think he will go earlier with Stephenson probably dropping. Can’t shake the feeling that we will make what appears to be an underwhelming choice here; and by that I mean Richards or LOB. TBH, I’d take a chance on Stephenson before those two and I’m not a gambler. Bonar or Constable is also a more astute Pick here IMO.

Constable, Kennedy, Cripps all on the ground means we’ll be as slow as a treacle.

Dow and LOB = breakaway pace from packs and pace to create spread which is sorely lacking in this team. We’re currently one dimentional and need to get midfielders with characteristics that can compliment the team.

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Missing targets, running to the wrong areas, serious question marks over his knees...
So you're concerned that he's rusty and how his knee checks out? Doesn't sound like Adelaide or GWS care, and they're not blessed with a raft of big-bodied mids.

If his knee isn't healthy enough 18 months after injury then fine, O'Brien is a sound choice, but otherwise it's this guy.

Back