List Mgmt. 2017 Draft - Pick 10 - Poll Added

Who would YOU pick at #10 in this years draft? (Single Choice)

• Stephenson

Votes: 34 9.8%
  • Brayshaw

Votes: 82 23.7%
  • Coffield

Votes: 22 6.4%
  • Constable

Votes: 18 5.2%
  • Higgins

Votes: 31 9.0%
  • Brander

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • Bonar

Votes: 32 9.2%
  • Clark

Votes: 26 7.5%
  • DFogarty

Votes: 84 24.3%
  • Hayes

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Other

Votes: 9 2.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s a big call. Looking at his stats from TAC Cup, only twice has he reached 20 disposals (21 and 22, so only just got there) and the majority of games he seems to just creep into the teens possession wise.

I have concerns about guys who can’t find the ball at lower levels. We seem to target these guys regularly and regularly get burned. Our recruiters project that they will somehow magically manage to start accumulating numbers at higher levels, but if that’s the case, why couldn’t they manage to do it at lower levels? “We see him moving into the midfield in time” was often spouted by Hughes, but how often has our club managed to turn these guys into high production midfielders?

We went through all the crap with Gibbs to get this valuable asset and I feel as though we are going to do a Hughes with it and waste it. Very underwhelming if SOS goes this way. I know the draft isn’t a good one, but it can’t be that bad that a guy who didn’t get picked by Vic Metro and has mild at best production gets picked up in the top ten. O’Brian I could understand, as he’s an outstanding kick, athlete, accumulates the ball a lot and was good enough to play good TAC Cup before his draft year.

Hopefully this is SOS leaking it out there to spook Collingwood into picking him.

I agree with your sentiments entirely.

First, Richards is a half-back flanker, at best. Given his lack of numbers at TAC he has no proven ability as a ball winner. You do not use pick 10 to get yourself a guy who maybe might become a useful half-back flanker or might become a DVR. Birchall, an obvious exception, had height to be an outside wingman, forward as additional strings to his bow. There is nothing wrong with recruiting a midfielder who, not making it in the middle is able to play off a half-back flank.

Secondly, despite the injury to Doc, we are not badly off for half-back flankers. Simmo, Byrne and Williamson can all play there with Plowman, Macreadie and Mullett other options. SOJ has played there also and into the future McDaid, if he makes it, is likely to play through the position. Ok, . . . and Daisy if we have to.

Thirdly SOS is a strategic thinker. He showed that with the recruitment of McKay first then Curnow, "knowing" Adelaide would have snapped up McKay but leave Charlie alone because of, yeah, attitude. If he doesn't want information as to what he is thinking to leak he doesn't allow that information to leak. That we have apparently shown an interest in Richards, leading some insiders to leap to the conclusion he is our man doesn't make sense if we really want him. It DOES make sense if we can create a bit of a buzz about Richards and maybe get a plum to drop into our lap.

The Pies recruiting/trading has been almost as bad as ours from 2013-15. Imagine recruiting Dunne and delisting O'Keefe and Schade. Just crazy. And Mayne was stark raving mad. The Pies think their midfield is strong and they probably need KPDs and KPFs. They are linked to D Fogarty because, I suspect, they have heard he could become the best player in the draft. Sending out the sniff that Richards is a potential top 10 player and thus invited to Sydney does not make taking him at 6 seem such a stretch. And of course they would love to take the grandson of a legend. And hate him going to the Blues 4 picks later to become a star. They could just take Richards, if they don't take Stephenson.

If either happens our prospects of picking up D Fogarty or Clark jump significantly, one of whom I suspect we would grab if available.

If it doesn't work and Stephenson's medicals are poor I reckon we will go LOB who looks fine to me. I would be very, very surprised if SOS has the slightest intention of taking Richards, and not particularly happy if that matters.

So you're concerned that he's rusty and how his knee checks out? Doesn't sound like Adelaide or GWS care, and they're not blessed with a raft of big-bodied mids.

If his knee isn't healthy enough 18 months after injury then fine, O'Brien is a sound choice, but otherwise it's this guy.
No I just think there are better options at 10, including O'Brien.

He's quick, but doesnt use it to great effect. He seems to move well, but doesn't use it to beat congestion consistently. To me he's a bit of a "what if" selection. I'm not a big fan of those.

I've never claimed to be an expert talent spotter, just my opinion.

Constable, Kennedy, Cripps all on the ground means we’ll be as slow as a treacle.

Dow and LOB = breakaway pace from packs and pace to create spread which is sorely lacking in this team. We’re currently one dimentional and need to get midfielders with characteristics that can compliment the team.
Ok......and I think Cerra fits us better than Dow. Outside mid like Gibbs. This is a merry go round of keyboard warrior opinions here. I just hope we get 3 good kids and a high upside late pick.

Plenty of negatives around LOB and Richards too. I like what Bonar brings.
Each to their own. I like players who wins a lot of contested ball, or alternatively hits targets cleanly at pace while still being up for the contest. Bonar to me doesn't tick either of those boxes, but as I've said I don't claim to be an expert.

LOB is not my preference at pick 10 but I guess SOS and his recruiting team know better than us and hopefully he becomes that damaging outside player we are all craving for

Take away the FACT that we know Boekhurst stuggles with the body contact at AFL level and we don't yet know with LOB, but does LOB do anything better than Boekhurst? I've not seen any highlights of LOB, I'm just following descriptions of his style of play...and it sounds Boekhurst like..

Pick 10 has turned out to be in that next level down as a result if Stephenson dropping.

LOB or Richards will do me fine regardless. Both are beautiful kicks and have speed and run. Richards is my pick of the two as he is more well rounded and has more inside potential.

How many hours to go now?!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watch the all star game from grand final day and tell me he isnt worth pick 10!! Plus the professionalism he has shown coming back from the knee injury! Just remember they said Judd's shoulders were shot!! Selwood's knee was shot!! Don't let injuries scare you off

Ditto.

Fogarty is my other choice but I think he will go earlier with Stephenson probably dropping. Can’t shake the feeling that we will make what appears to be an underwhelming choice here; and by that I mean Richards or LOB. TBH, I’d take a chance on Stephenson before those two and I’m not a gambler. Bonar or Constable is also a more astute Pick here IMO.

I think Constable is a little to large and slow, we have few bulls, now time to add some zip

Just to put LOB’s contested possessions into perspective, Tom Williamson’s percentage of contested possessions this season was 26.4% (3.2 per game). Do any of us have any concerns with the way he played this season? I know I don’t, as you want guys who have a lethal left foot out in space where they can use it.

Firstly I agree, but devils advocate would say we didn't spend 10 on Williamson

Just to put LOB’s contested possessions into perspective, Tom Williamson’s percentage of contested possessions this season was 26.4% (3.2 per game). Do any of us have any concerns with the way he played this season? I know I don’t, as you want guys who have a lethal left foot out in space where they can use it.

Certain player roles and positions will always equal less contested possessions...running defenders is one of them. Doc, Williamson & Simmo all have low contested possession percentages but that's just a nature of their position where they rack up a lot of uncontested possessions with kicks among themselves in the back half and handball receives etc.

A running wing role is another potentially if LOB is going to play like Isaac Smith where his role is to stay on the outside and provide link up run.

Low contested possession numbers is fine, the key is just that when the footy IS up for grabs the player will go when it's his turn and not shirk the contest, which Doc, Williamson, Simmo & Isaac Smith all do.

SOS just delisted Boekhorst and delisted Everitt so there is no way he's going to pick anyone who is seen as 'soft'. Aish & Toumpas are other warning examples.

Back