2017 Draft - Pick 30

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon if taken Worpel turns into another Matt Crouch, who also had slightly suspect kicking when first drafted.
This is not a ridiculous shout. I kind of dismissed him as being a poor user and currently he is. His kicking action isn't terminal though. If he dedicates himself to extra time with the skills coaches he may be able improve to a point where he becomes more than handy. The biggest improvement in Crouch's kicking is that he now keeps it simple. First option is still the best option.

Any chance Ed Richards could slip to 30? Spoke to a family member of his who seems to think he is coming to Carlton. Can't see us taking him at 10 so 30 is our only option.

:/

Edit: The family member also suggested it was either us the WB or GWS who wanted him. His preference was us.

Last edited:

Any chance Ed Richards could slip to 30? Spoke to a family member of his who seems to think he is coming to Carlton. Can't see us taking him at 10 so 30 is our only option.

:/

Edit: The family member also suggested it was either us the WB or GWS who wanted him. His preference was us.

Dick Ed lol

Would we look at a forward with 30? Tom McCartin appears to be a decent prospect. Inside Football have him going 2nd round. Said to be very mobile, great hands, good kick, even keel with Paddy if not better.

If we did go for a big at 30 I'd go for Callum Coleman-Jones.

Is a ruck/forward but everything I read and the few highlights say he is a contested marking beast. With no real young rucks if we were to contend in say 2020 I'd want us to start developing a long term Ruck now.

Is a ruck/forward but everything I read and the few highlights say he is a contested marking beast. With no real young rucks if we were to contend in say 2020 I'd want us to start developing a long term Ruck now.
Am I missing something?? In the afl.com.au's "mock draft", they had this guy going to Melb at #30???

If SOS were to take a ruckman at 30, I would prefer Ben Miller

Together with the centre bounce rule changing and his athleticism, he would have more upside than most in this year's group

Am I missing something?? In the afl.com.au's "mock draft", they had this guy going to Melb at #30???

That would be because of the Father Son/Academy selections pre 30 pushing back the Melb Pick.

I doubt Melbourne would take a young ruck when they just delisted two and are giving one a rookie spot apparently.

Together with the centre bounce rule changing and his athleticism, he would have more upside than most in this year's group

Honestly know nothing about him, I am still of the mindset that I like the big hulking rucks :p but you are bang on with the way the game is changing an athletic tall may be the way to go :)

I do wonder where Hayes will go. I can see him slipping a lot.

Been watching Miller since you first mentioned him. Starting to get a Ryder vibe. As you mention a change in the bounce rule would bring
spring heeled athletic types right in to the frame. We have a pretty full quota of talls, but if viewed as a mobile ruck rather than added
to the KPP basket, he would be a great get I believe. Hard to see us "reaching" at 30, everything crossed to reach 73.

Really hope we don't take a ruck at 30. Reckon there are too many others good prospects available.

The only one I'd consider at this pick is Crossley but I'd expect a bid to be matched here.

I'd be ok with looking at a ruck at our next pick or in the rookie draft, but I think we're fine on that front in 2018 if we don't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly know nothing about him, I am still of the mindset that I like the big hulking rucks :p but you are bang on with the way the game is changing an athletic tall may be the way to go :)

I do wonder where Hayes will go. I can see him slipping a lot.

Never rated Hayes, just doesn't attack a contest hard enough for my liking, especially when he is resting forward. See him in the 30-40 range, but still select him

Been watching Miller since you first mentioned him. Starting to get a Ryder vibe. As you mention a change in the bounce rule would bring
spring heeled athletic types right in to the frame. We have a pretty full quota of talls, but if viewed as a mobile ruck rather than added
to the KPP basket, he would be a great get I believe. Hard to see us "reaching" at 30, everything crossed to reach 73.

30 would be a reach, especially with it being our 3rd pick. WC would do well to take him with their last pick

Like Jeremias i think there are some good players that will be around at 30

What chances garner lasting to our pick here

Not many people rate him, as he is just methodical in his approach, not much in the way of x-factor, but is an out and out professional the way he plays the game, but in the mix and would be a steal at 30

Last edited:
Garner played very well in the Vic Metro V Vic Country game. Looked very much like the modern day defensive player. Nice kick. I think I recall him out pointing LDU in a one on one in the forward half. I also rated Ben Paton’s game. His efforts reminded me of Dale Morris. At 19 he has the advantage of maturity. Funny to say that about a 19 year old. Given where both these guys will go in the draft it’s not likely to be 30. So I’m a Worpel fan. Hard nut with a load of mongrel. More upside than he’s given credit for.

Garner played very well in the Vic Metro V Vic Country game. Looked very much like the modern day defensive player. Nice kick. I think I recall him out pointing LDU in a one on one in the forward half. I also rated Ben Paton’s game. His efforts reminded me of Dale Morris. At 19 he has the advantage of maturity. Funny to say that about a 19 year old. Given where both these guys will go in the draft it’s not likely to be 30. So I’m a Worpel fan. Hard nut with a load of mongrel. More upside than he’s given credit for.

I like the idea of Paton. I feel we really do lack a small defender who can lock down. We always seem to struggle vs strong small forwards

With Charlie Constable running a truly woeful 7:58 in the 2km time trial does he become a possible draft slider? Could he make it to pick 30, would we even want him if he did? I can’t see him ever being able to be a full time mid if his fitness is that poor.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

With Charlie Constable running a truly woeful 7:58 in the 2km time trial does he become a possible draft slider? Could he make it to pick 30, would we even want him if he did? I can’t see him ever being able to be a full time mid if his fitness is that poor.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't see him as a great fit with our list to be honest. But wouldn't be the worst pickup at 30 :)

Would be hilarious if we picked up a Rayner at 3, Fogarty at 10 and Constable at 30, and then suddenly they found their endurance during the pre-season.

Imagine if we picked Brayshaw/Cerra at 3, Hunter at 10 and Stoddart at 30 and they founds extra endurance during the pre-season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back