List Mgmt. 2017 Draft Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lachlan Fogarty.

I like Xerri as a ruck.

Cassidy Parish. Gryan Miers as a small forward come mid with a huge endurance base.

Fogarty will go too early for us.
Worpel? Great production last year as underage and still doing it this year.
Not sure we need to tempt the dud brother rule with Parish.
Miers looks great. He would allow us to move our forward pressure mids into more inside mid roles.

Miers looks great. He would allow us to move our forward pressure mids into more inside mid roles.

I wouldn't call Cassidy Parish the dud brother, if anything the Parish boys are all potential AFL pedigree, Darcy wasn't even the best of them at the same stage of development. I would happily take him, 190cm and already 84kg, doesn't look it but he does have size. Would drop any paranoia about getting a dud brother for him in a heartbeat. Would be a solid pick up

Darcy Fogarty will go too early for us, Lachlan Fogarty probably won't.

It would be nice to see dreads in our forward line again. It has been a while.

His endurance base means he will probably play mid eventually. Maybe tag team with Dahl, one plays forward the other midfield and vica versa.

It would be nice to see dreads in our forward line again. It has been a while.

His endurance base means he will probably play mid eventually. Maybe tag team with Dahl, one plays forward the other midfield and vica versa.

Get Dahl to grow the dreads back and do a direct swap.

I wouldn't call Cassidy Parish the dud brother, if anything the Parish boys are all potential AFL pedigree, Darcy wasn't even the best of them at the same stage of development. I would happily take him, 190cm and already 84kg, doesn't look it but he does have size. Would drop any paranoia about getting a dud brother for him in a heartbeat. Would be a solid pick up
Liam Picken broke the curse

I'm still really into Lachie Murphy, Knights player from last year. Now playing senior footy in the SANFL, won a Best Developing Player nomination or something for his performance last week, 18 disposals, 6 rebound 50s in his debut. Undersized defender/mid but he played like an absolute champion last year and his ball use is exceptional.

http://websites.sportstg.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=1-3020-0-0-0&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=54427511

VIC COUNTRY INITIAL SQUAD

Jacob Atley Bendigo Pioneers Rochester
Mitchell Kemp Bendigo Pioneers Echuca
Jye Caldwell Bendigo Pioneers Golden Square
Brent Daniels Bendigo Pioneers Nyah Nyah West United
Lewin Davis Bendigo Pioneers Mildura
Paddy Dow Bendigo Pioneers Swan Hill
Kane Farrell Bendigo Pioneers Castlemaine
Bailey Henderson Bendigo Pioneers Strathfieldsaye
Darby Henderson Bendigo Pioneers Echuca
Lochie O'Brien Bendigo Pioneers South Mildura
Angus Schumacher Bendigo Pioneers Strathfieldsaye
Hunter Clark Dandenong Stingrays Mornington/Padua College
Oscar Clavarino Dandenong Stingrays Berwick/Haileybury College
Riley D'arcy Dandenong Stingrays Rowville/Rowville SC
Aaron Darling Dandenong Stingrays Crib Pt
Luke Davies-Uniacke Dandenong Stingrays Rye/Haileybury College
Tom De Koning Dandenong Stingrays Mornington/Padua College
Sam Fletcher Dandenong Stingrays Red Hill/Padua College
Bailey Morrish Dandenong Stingrays Beaconsfield
Angus Paterson Dandenong Stingrays Mornington/Balcombe Grammar
Mitchell Riordan Dandenong Stingrays Beaconsfield/Haileybury College
Bailey Schmidt Dandenong Stingrays Seaford/Flinders College
Bailey Williams Dandenong Stingrays Crib Pt/Westernport SC
Lachlan Young Dandenong Stingrays Mt Eliza/Mornington SC
Harry Benson Geelong Falcons St. Marys
Oscar Brownless Geelong Falcons Geelong Amateurs/Geelong College
Hayden Elliot Geelong Falcons St. Albans
Ethan Floyd Geelong Falcons Colac
Adam Garner Geelong Falcons Colac
David Handley Geelong Falcons Geelong West Giants
Jack Henderson Geelong Falcons St. Marys/Geelong College
Joshua Jaska Geelong Falcons Anglesea
Matthew Ling Geelong Falcons St. Marys
Tom McCartin Geelong Falcons St. Josephs
Edward McHenry Geelong Falcons Barwon Heads/Geelong College
Gryan Miers Geelong Falcons Grovedale
Cassidy Parish Geelong Falcons Winchelsea
Samuel Walsh Geelong Falcons St. Josephs
James Worpel Geelong Falcons Bell Park
Xavier Duursma Gipplsand Power Foster
Austin Hodge Gipplsand Power Bairnsdale
Nick Hogan Gipplsand Power Sale
Changkuoth Jiath Gipplsand Power Morwell/Xavier College
Sean Masterson Gipplsand Power Ellinbank
Irving Mosquito Gipplsand Power Maffra
Julian Patterson Gipplsand Power Leongatha
Callum Porter Gipplsand Power ROC
Aidan Quigley Gipplsand Power Yinnar
Kyle Reid Gipplsand Power Leongatha
Thomas Berry GWV Rebels Horsham Saints
Josh Chatfield GWV Rebels Koroit
Aiden Domic GWV Rebels East Point
Jordan Johnston GWV Rebels North Ballarat
Lloyd Meek GWV Rebels SMW Rovers
Callan Wellings GWV Rebels Trentham
Zane Barzen Murray Bushrangers Shepparton United
Floyd Bollinghaus Murray Bushrangers Wodonga Raiders
Jordon Butts Murray Bushrangers Shepparton Bears
Ajak Dang Murray Bushrangers Mooroopna
Hudson Garoni Murray Bushrangers Wodonga Bulldogs
Harrison Jones Murray Bushrangers Wodonga Bulldogs
Mark Marriott Murray Bushrangers Benalla Saints
Ben Paton Murray Bushrangers North Albury
Dave Smith Murray Bushrangers Shepparton Swans
Laitham Vandeermeer Murray Bushrangers Mooroopna

Buku Khamis is one to look out for. He is bottom age now, so he won't be availiable until next year to be drafted, but he is bloody talented. He is also part of the Western Bulldogs Next Generation Academy, so should we chose to draft him, we would have first dibs.

Check out his mark at 2:15, it shows off his freakish athleticism.

Buku Khamis is one to look out for. He is bottom age now, so he won't be availiable until next year to be drafted, but he is bloody talented. He is also part of the Western Bulldogs Next Generation Academy, so should we chose to draft him, we would have first dibs.

Check out his mark at 2:15, it shows off his freakish athleticism.

I'm confused, if we had first dibs, how'd we lose Dion last year?

Good to see Rhylee named in the Vic Country (Edit: Metro) squad, gee he is gonna cause some melts next year, and cost us an arm and a leg.

Also Wizard17, chances of Meek getting drafted this time around?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm confused, if we had first dibs, how'd we lose Dion last year?
I don't have a great knowledge of the draft compared to some other people here, but from my understanding, the club can choose to draft someone who was part of their academy, essentially having 'first dibs'. If they don't then the player can get picked up by the 17 other clubs. I'm probably incorrect in some way but that is my understanding of how the system works.

I don't have a great knowledge of the draft compared to some other people here, but from my understanding, the club can choose to draft someone who was part of their academy, essentially having 'first dibs'. If they don't then the player can get picked up by the 17 other clubs. I'm probably incorrect in some way but that is my understanding of how the system works.
Close-ish. I'm fairly certain that we could have automatically selected Johnstone if he was passed through both drafts (or maybe just the national). Given he was picked up, we lost our priority to select him.

Also, I'm assuming by 'academy' you're not referring to GWS, Brisbane etc. 'academies'. Neon Dion was aligned to the Dogs through the Next Generation academy program.

Close-ish. I'm fairly certain that we could have automatically selected Johnstone if he was passed through both drafts (or maybe just the national). Given he was picked up, we lost our priority to select him.

Also, I'm assuming by 'academy' you're not referring to GWS, Brisbane etc. 'academies'. Neon Dion was aligned to the Dogs through the Next Generation academy program.
Yeah, I was referring to the Next Generation Academy. I'm fairly sure the Dogs wouldn't turn down the chance to draft this kid, he is pretty talented.

Yeah, I was referring to the Next Generation Academy. I'm fairly sure the Dogs wouldn't turn down the chance to draft this kid, he is pretty talented.
But my point is we would have to rely on no other club drafting him for us to pick him up after the draft, unless we use one of our own picks on him.

https://www.afldraftcentral.com.au/2017/04/15/scouting-notes-vic-country-vs-vic-metro-trials/

Matt Balmer’s scouting notes:
Game 1:

Vic Metro 9.9 (63) defeated Vic Country 5.9 (39)

GOALS:

Vic Metro: Xerri 4, Morrisby 2, North, Harris, Searle

Vic Country: Meek 2, Jones, Schmidt, Morrish

Vic Metro:

#6 Ethan Penrith – Played his usual game in defence and that seems to be his best position. He tackled well and wanted the ball back – but at times his decision making and his kicking continue to be a work in progress as he missed a few disposals that he really should’ve hit.

#7 Marcus Lentini – Continued his good start to the season playing across half back for Metro. Was willing to take on his opponents and run off them out of defence. He was another whose kicking was down on its usual skill. Had a great play in the final quarter running hard down the middle of the ground in the last quarter to set up Xerri.

#9 Ryley Stoddart – Not a big ball winner but his precision and poise on his left boot is outstanding. Had a really good passage on the south wing where he took two bounces and propelled the ball long forward. If a club is looking for a classy ball user – he’s one of them.

#14 Callum Searle – Searle is back as an overager after representing Metro in 2016. It seems he’s still similar to last year – good at a lot of things – but not elite at one category. Played in a multitude of positions and bagged a goal in the last quarter. I think half back is his best position to suit his superb endurance base – but Metro might opt for speedier defenders.

#22 Mitchell Podhajski – Another player who played well in the defensive half of the ground. Worked hard one-on-one and used the ball well on his right foot.

#28 Mason Fletcher – Had a shocking start to the day as the only bottom ager on the ground for Metro. Two disappointing kicks in early resulted in turnovers deep inside 50. He does look a lot like Dustin with his dangly limbs and will be better for the run.

#30 Tristan Xerri – One of the better players on the ground after an ok start to the season for the Jets. Kicked four goals for the day and continued to present well at the football getting his hands to the ball overhead. Laid a great tackle in the last quarter, but missed his opportunity at goal. Another player who continues to show good signs.

Vic Country:

#4 Aiden Domic – Was the first time this season I’ve seen Domic and he seems to have bulked up. Started the game well involved early and used his good hands in close to clear the ball at a few stoppages. His follow up was really good, but his positioning up forward did look a bit out of whack.

#12 Cassidy Parish – With brother Darcy watching on – Parish found plenty of the ball as one of the leading disposal winners for the entire day. But what let him down was his poor kicking. He lacks the finish that Darcy had. There was no momentum in his kicks and when on the run he continued to chip the ball to a player 15-20m away – without hitting the target instead of looking long. Decision making and polish need work if he’s to put his hand up to be drafted.

#13 Ethan Floyd – Standing out in his bright orange boots, Floyd played mostly on the wing for Country. He kicks the ball well on both feet and has a great burst of speed that allows him to break away from a stoppage quickly and spread.

#20 Angus Schumacher – Another in bright boots that stood out with his pinpoint left pass. Especially early in the game, he rebounded the ball well and hit the targets without breaking sweat. Was one of the more cleaner kicks out of all those who played on Friday.

#21 Tom McCartin – The first time I’d seen Tom McCartin play and it was great to see him out there injury free. He took a mark early in the first quarter on the lead and he just looked exactly like Patty the way he leads up at the ball. It was a quiet day for Tom, but showed some good things and moved well for a tall.

#23 Lloyd Meek – The tall was overlooked last year in the draft but this was one of the better games I’d seen him play. He competed very well in the ruck and didn’t look out of place playing deep forward, including kicking a banana goal. Looks to have improved his kicking and mobility and it will be interesting to see how he goes from here on in.

Game 2:

Vic Metro 6.9 (45) defeated by Vic Country 10.5 (65)

GOALS:

Vic Metro: Wooller, Day, Brayshaw, Jarnestrom, Coffield, Petruccelle

Vic Country: D’Arcy 4, Wellings 2, Daniels, Williams, Butts, Duursma

Vic Metro:

#9 Andrew Brayshaw – Another good game from the Sandy Dragon midfielder. Attended quite a few centre bounces and worked hard to clear the ball. Kicked a great running goal in the third quarter taking a few bounces running through the middle of the ground and goaled.

#13 Jack Petruccelle – Continues to play to his strength – using his elite pace on the outside. His kicking continues to be a work in progress but so far it’s gotten better each week I’ve seen him play. Had two bounces on the wing at speed and propelled it long forward.

#14 Adam Cerra – The clear best player right throughout the whole day. He can count himself unlucky not to be on Etihad Stadium in the AFL Academy side. Last year the AFL Academy didn’t have Picks one and two – could Cerra challenge for that? It might be a stretch but it’d be hard to not see him be in the top 10 come November. His hands at the contest are great and he continues to win the football on the inside and the outside. Was consistent all day.

#17 Nicholas Coffield – Played across half back and his best strength is reading the play. He knows where to run to and when to drop off his man. His disposal is solid and fits the mould to play in defensive 50.

#24 Jackson Ross – Played as a third tall in defence in the first half and it just didn’t suit him, hardly touching it. D’Arcy got to the right places early to beat him, but it was good that he was moved onto the wing after half-time. A quiet day from Ross who has some good athletic traits and is a one of a number of prospects from the Eastern Ranges.

Vic Country:

#1 Brent Daniels – Was one of the players most stiff last year after collecting 20 disposals and six clearances in the trial game against NSW/ACT. Kicked Country’s first goal speeding past his opponents. His work as a goal sneak is very good, but his contested ball winning is his strength and he clears it well via his quick hands. On the outside he’ll use his speed to burn past opposition players

#2 Nick Hogan – Stamped his authority on the game right from the first bounce. Had a nice kick early and was willing to use his speed in his flashy green boots. Cracks in hard for a player at 175cm and one of the few Power players on my watch list.

#4 Gryan Miers – One of the smaller players on the ground kitted out with dreadlocks and bright shoes, it was some great team work inside 50 that was impressive. He had great hands to get the ball to D’Arcy, while he was always pressuring his opponent and continued to run hard and defend. Did miss a kick on the run in the third, but I liked what I saw with his impressive second efforts as a pocket rocket.

#9 Irving Mosquito – “Buzzed” around the contest inside 50. A lively forward who distributes it well on his left foot. Ran back with the flight of the ball to mark the ball on the wing. Made a fantastic smoother inside 50 and is always pressuring the defenders.

#26 Riley D’Arcy – Popped up at the right places and his running patterns inside 50 were good as he continued to get to the right place. He was too strong for Ross in the first half and for a “tall” he worked well at ground level.

I like the look of Tristan Xerri. Great height and has good hands as well. Also Irving Mosquito is a great name. Hope he gets drafted just to hear his name called out.

I like the look of Tristan Xerri. Great height and has good hands as well. Also Irving Mosquito is a great name. Hope he gets drafted just to hear his name called out.

Mosquito is underage so we will have to wait a year in the meantime I wonder how long it would take the commentators to call Angus Schumacher Michael if he gets drafted.

I like Xerri too.

Mosquito is underage so we will have to wait a year in the meantime I wonder how long it would take the commentators to call Angus Schumacher Michael if he gets drafted.

I like Xerri too.
Doesn't quite flow off the tongue like Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti does it. Where do you think Xerri will go in this years draft right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back