Brayshaw
Ldu
Rayner
Dow
Cerra
Stephenson
Coffield
Murphy
Who would we take? Naughton is he best available?

So worse case & no one goes tall? It goes
Brayshaw
Ldu
Rayner
Dow
Cerra
Stephenson
Coffield
Murphy
Who would we take? Naughton is he best available?

If all of the above are gone, there are Bonar and Clark available at 9.

I think Clark is as good a bet for success as Coffield, Murphy & Stephenson.

I would very very very much hope D. Fogarty.

I have been revisiting D Fogarty and have to concede that his reels are not as pedestrian as my first impressions. Could see him going somewhere in the top 10, the mobile big & burly attraction will be there for some of the recruiters. Perhaps us.

Great discussion guys - I've got nothing to add but the odd smartass comment, but I'm enjoying reading your views and enjoying the (mostly) civilised discussion. Kudos guys. :thumbsu:

I have been revisiting D Fogarty and have to concede that his reels are not as pedestrian as my first impressions. Could see him going somewhere in the top 10, the mobile big & burly attraction will be there for some of the recruiters. Perhaps us.
I think he’s a chance to go to Freo at 5 or Pies at 6. Can’t see Saints taking him so if he gets past Pies, he gets to us. With Brayshaw creeping up the order according to some and Murphy and Clark making a late charge there’s a chance. Bonar is the hard one to place. Could go pick 7. Could go pick 17. I’d hope that if he gets to 16 we’d take Bonar. Initially was keen at 9 but on reflection there might be safer options there.

Has anyone got any video of Fogarty from last year? Ranked his own performance this year a D.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So are we all hoping for Coffield at 9? - seems to be the go to player for us according to the media.

I've become rather open minded about who we use our picks on. Would be happy with Coffield but I can see there should be a number of good prospects who would also meet needs. It will be fascinating to see who Dalrymple goes for and who is available.

so if it gets to our pick 16 L. Fogarty and Constable still on the table who does everyone prefer ? Also curious on the similarities between L. Fogarty and Riley west next year are they similar players at all ? Asking the experts as I’ve only seen a handful of videos and am definitely no expert on the draft

so if it gets to our pick 16 L. Fogarty and Constable still on the table who does everyone prefer ? Also curious on the similarities between L. Fogarty and Riley west next year are they similar players at all ? Asking the experts as I’ve only seen a handful of videos and am definitely no expert on the draft

Constable. Wouldn't be unhappy with L Fogarty though at 16 as not many stand outs after the top rung of players.

Have only seen a small amount of vision of west so not too sure.

Don't know much about Scotty West's lad but I find I can't get enthused about Constable because he is very inside and I think that is not one of our most pressing needs. He is also not very quick and I see the need for speed. L Fogarty, is quick and is a grade A kick of the ball but not much of a physical presence but I would be happy if he is the #16 pick.

Depends on who we take at 9 I reckon. If it's a big bodied type like Clark, Bonar or D Fogarty then I'd definitely go L Fogarty. If 9 is more outside like coffield, then I'd start to consider constable. Although would be happy with speed at both 9 and 16.

I get that. A few people have said he's overrated. My thinking is that he's been seen as one of the top few picks in his cohort for years but now is slipping in many people's eyes and could become value again.

In short - if he's rated 1-5 (which I think is where he used to be rated a year or so back) then he's overrated but if he's rated 11-20 he's probably under rated. I think he'll go OK wherever he ends up and I wouldn't be upset if we got him at 9.
Fair enough. I'm hoping we get a slider at 9, either bonar or coffield, and that Clark isn't even in the equation. But if those boys are gone and Dal thinks Clark is value at 9 that's good enough for me.

Don't know much about Scotty West's lad but I find I can't get enthused about Constable because he is very inside and I think that is not one of our most pressing needs.
On 2016 form, no. On 2017, it absolutely is. In terms of list balance it may not be, but our inside mids very much underperformed this year. There are no guarantees they will rediscover their form. Simply being young doesn't necessarily ensure that they will improve.

I've become rather open minded about who we use our picks on. Would be happy with Coffield but I can see there should be a number of good prospects who would also meet needs. It will be fascinating to see who Dalrymple goes for and who is available.
The recruiting skill in drafts like this is often better shown with whoever has picks 4 or 5 onwards. If you're Brisbane or Freo or Carlton you've got pretty bankable players like Dow, LDU, Cerra etc to pick. These players may not all turn out to be gems but are unlikely to be total duds. However a recruiter can often pick up Best-of-Draft in the picks between 4 and 20. Consider the following who I'd say have turned out to be the best players of their draft year over the 10 years to 2014 (excluding F/S & Academy picks, the ND 2015-16 which were too recent, and also excluding the compromised charity drafts for the expansion teams):

2005 -Scott Pendlebury (pick 5) then any one of Marc Murphy (1), Paddy Ryder (7) Nathan Jones (12) or Grant Birchall (14)
2006 - Joel Selwood (7) Jack Riewoldt (13)
2007 - Paddy Dangerfield (10) Alex Rance (18) probably ahead of Cotchin (2), Cyril Rioli (12) or Ward (19)
2008 - Nic Natanui (2) Michael Hurley (5)
2009 - Dustin Martin (3) Nat Fyfe (20)
2010 - COMPROMISED DRAFT but a poor draft cohort anyway, in my opinion
2011 - COMPROMISED DRAFT - GWS were luckier than GCS as this was a stronger draft year

2012 - Lachie Whitfield (1) Ollie Wines (7) ... or maybe Jack Macrae (6)
2013 - Marcus Bontempelli (4) Josh Kelly (2)
2014 - Jake Lever (14) not sure about 2nd best as they are still only in their early 20s - Petracca (2) Brayshaw (3) McLean (26) and Daniel (46) would be some of those in the mix

In summary a lot of the best performing players from their draft years (as well as some duds, admittedly) were found between picks 4 and 20. No reason to think 2017 will be any different.

We have two picks right in that range. Do your stuff Simon!

Don't know much about Scotty West's lad but I find I can't get enthused about Constable because he is very inside and I think that is not one of our most pressing needs. He is also not very quick and I see the need for speed. L Fogarty, is quick and is a grade A kick of the ball but not much of a physical presence but I would be happy if he is the #16 pick.
Scott West was 178cm from memory and certainly not very quick but was an elite extractor and had great hands & handball skills. His kicking was OK but he lacked penetration. 30-40m was his reliable range. Rhylee might well be taller - wouldn't surprise if he's 180-184cm - but is unlikely to be a speed machine. I'd be interested to know what his kicking is like.

Those factors could make me lean a bit toward Lachlan Fogarty if it was between him and Constable ... that's assuming the club is still strong on getting West next year.

One factor in Constable's favour is he's 190cm. A very desirable height for a midfielder these days. However he has nothing special about him I hear - just a good accumulator - and he is a bit suspect on endurance.

That's only one part of his game. Can play on all lines and as far as versatility goes I think he's the stand out draftee. If he slides out of the 1st round i believe he'll be the steal of the draft.

Can understand the specific needs of our team part but usually we're best available drafters I reckon. Hence selecting so many mid sized mid/hbf's over the last few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back