List Mgmt. 2017 Draft Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
On 2016 form, no. On 2017, it absolutely is. In terms of list balance it may not be, but our inside mids very much underperformed this year. There are no guarantees they will rediscover their form. Simply being young doesn't necessarily ensure that they will improve.

I think 2017 was a bit of a write-off due to Premiership hangover, the lads will be right back on their inside game in 2018.

Scott West was 178cm from memory and certainly not very quick but was an elite extractor and had great hands & handball skills. His kicking was OK but he lacked penetration. 30-40m was his reliable range. Rhylee might well be taller - wouldn't surprise if he's 180-184cm - but is unlikely to be a speed machine. I'd be interested to know what his kicking is like.

Those factors could make me lean a bit toward Lachlan Fogarty if it was between him and Constable ... that's assuming the club is still strong on getting West next year.

One factor in Constable's favour is he's 190cm. A very desirable height for a midfielder these days. However he has nothing special about him I hear - just a good accumulator - and he is a bit suspect on endurance.

A work colleague's son plays with Rhylee so I went to watch a game with him once, I'd say Rhylee is roughly the same height as me maybe slightly shorter (I'm 183cm), but obviously he still might have a bit of growth left in him yet.

What I noticed about him was that he has a massive tank and is powerful through the core, stands up in tackles and is strong over the footy. He also tackles very hard. Obviously confirmation bias will lead you to think he plays like his old man but he does somewhat, he's possibly less one-dimensional than Scott though, has played forward a bit and isn't a pure inside player.

Reportedly not getting an invite to the draft would seem to rule Constable out of the reckoning for pick 9 at this stage
Doesn't mean he's out of my personal reckoning though. ;)

Regardless, could just be that he's a fourth or fifth preference that we don't expect to have to fall back on. In a situation where Coffield, Murphy, Stephenson, Cerra and Brayshaw are all gone, as in the hypothetical given, it wouldn't surprise me if Constable was our next preference.

They do late draft invites if things change closer to the draft anyway. By the time the draft is held most clubs would have a fair idea of how the top ten will play out.

Big no for Constable for me. We’re already the tallest side in the competition we need players under 190cm with some real pace and elite kicking skills.

On 2016 form, no. On 2017, it absolutely is. In terms of list balance it may not be, but our inside mids very much underperformed this year. There are no guarantees they will rediscover their form. Simply being young doesn't necessarily ensure that they will improve.
On 2012/13/14/15/16 form no, on 17 form yes. Wayyyyyyyyyy more evidence to suggest our inside stocks are good than the contrary. A genuine, one dimensional inside mid is literally the last thing we need. Inside/outside type like Brayshaw would be fine though.

Doesn't mean he's out of my personal reckoning though. ;)

Regardless, could just be that he's a fourth or fifth preference that we don't expect to have to fall back on. In a situation where Coffield, Murphy, Stephenson, Cerra and Brayshaw are all gone, as in the hypothetical given, it wouldn't surprise me if Constable was our next preference.

They do late draft invites if things change closer to the draft anyway. By the time the draft is held most clubs would have a fair idea of how the top ten will play out.
Hence why I said at this stage. I agree by the way, I'd have him as an option there for sure.

As an aside Naughton made some media comments about how he'd prefer to go to Collingwood rather than Fremantle, sounds like he's a lock to go at pick 5 or 6 which means the chances of a slider falling to pick 9 just went up.
The Murphy/Coffield to Collingwood talk seems inaccurate.

As an aside Naughton made some media comments about how he'd prefer to go to Collingwood rather than Fremantle, sounds like he's a lock to go at pick 5 or 6 which means the chances of a slider falling to pick 9 just went up.
The Murphy/Coffield to Collingwood talk seems inaccurate.
Few posters have mentioned in the draft rumours thread there is talk of Bonar to Dogs. So we might pass on Coffield/Murphy even if they are available anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where can I find a list of who was invited to the draft?

It's on AFL Draft Central. The link doesn't work when I post it

Here's the list

Oscar Allen
Aiden Bonar
Jarrod Brander
Andrew Brayshaw
Adam Cerra
Hunter Clark
Nicholas Coffield
Luke Davies-Uniacke
Paddy Dow
Darcy Fogarty
Lachlan Fogarty
Jack Higgins
Nathan Murphy
Patrick Naish
Aaron Naughton
Lochie O’Brien
Cameron Rayner
Ed Richards
Nicholas Shipley
Jaidyn Stephenson

On 2012/13/14/15/16 form no, on 17 form yes. Wayyyyyyyyyy more evidence to suggest our inside stocks are good than the contrary. A genuine, one dimensional inside mid is literally the last thing we need. Inside/outside type like Brayshaw would be fine though.
Things can change quickly though. A lot depends on the likes of Dahl and Libba rediscovering the passion/commitment that reportedly wavered following the premiership. I certainly hope they do but it’s no guarantee. On 2017 form the likes of Constable would have put added pressure on somebody like Libba’s position, who was not playing good football but was in the team for necessity’s sake.

I would also argue that few of the players we have in this position are competent overhead (on junior form, Constable is), capable of resting forward in a genuinely positive way (on junior form, Constable is), or able to deliver the ball cleanly by foot (on junior form, Constable is). I think he offers enough from a point of difference perspective to be considered.

For the record I’m not arguing that it should be at the top of our list of priorities - it’s down under skill, speed, overhead marking/contest work and goal kicking - I just don’t think we’re stocked enough to justify passing one up if we believe they’re best available. Key defenders are another story altogether, for example. I’ve actually argued against Constable for the reason of fit previously but I’m beginning to see how it could work with more footage etc.

The last thing I'd describe Constable as is o e dimensional. Plays back, mid, forward all to a very good degree.

The last thing I'd describe Constable as is o e dimensional. Plays back, mid, forward all to a very good degree.
Think he meant one dimensional as a midfielder (as compared to a genuine inside/outside presence like Brayshaw), which I do agree with to an extent.

Things can change quickly though. A lot depends on the likes of Dahl and Libba rediscovering the passion/commitment that reportedly wavered following the premiership. I certainly hope they do but it’s no guarantee. On 2017 form the likes of Constable would have put added pressure on somebody like Libba’s position, who was not playing good football but was in the team for necessity’s sake.

I would also argue that few of the players we have in this position are competent overhead (on junior form, Constable is), capable of resting forward in a genuinely positive way (on junior form, Constable is), or able to deliver the ball cleanly by foot (on junior form, Constable is). I think he offers enough from a point of difference perspective to be considered.

For the record I’m not arguing that it should be at the top of our list of priorities - it’s down under skill, speed, overhead marking/contest work and goal kicking - I just don’t think we’re stocked enough to justify passing one up if we believe they’re best available. Key defenders are another story altogether, for example. I’ve actually argued against Constable for the reason of fit previously but I’m beginning to see how it could work with more footage etc.
If we go down that route in wanting a mid who can pressure our inside mids for spots next year - Jonty Sharenberg as a smokey for pick 82?
Sure, our 'dud-brother' cruse might get the better of him but he would provide a similar impact and be a year older.

What's peoples thoughts on Mitchell Podhajski from Calder? Could be a good pick up at our last if he's around.

Good intercept player and rebounder for his size however I have a few queries on his disposals. Maybe a late pick.

Interestingly Jaska has had 3 clubs have home visits and 2 others are in contact with him. Hope we are one of the clubs showing interest in him, has a few things that are unteachable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back