List Mgmt. 2017 Draft Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really hope if available. We show some real courage and draft an X-Factor player. The one that stands out to me and by all reports will be available is Jaidyn Stephenson.
He has a heart issue but so did Nathan Eagleton and he had a good long career with us. I would hate to see this kid become a gun and we don’t give him a go.
We need some pace and panache particularly with Stringer defecting.

Assuming LDU, Dow, Brayshaw and Cerra are long gone by the time we take our picks, I'd like Bonar and then - roughly in order of preference - any one of Allen, Murphy, Coffield, Clark, L. Fogarty, Richards, D.Fogarty or Constable. So I'm easily pleased. Surely we'll get at least one of those nine?

Don't know what to make of the Stephenson stories but if we pick him I'll assume we've done our due diligence on his medical condition ... and I'll be rapt.

Assuming LDU, Dow, Brayshaw and Cerra are long gone by the time we take our picks, I'd like Bonar and then - roughly in order of preference - any one of Allen, Murphy, Coffield, Clark, L. Fogarty, Richards, D.Fogarty or Constable. So I'm easily pleased. Surely we'll get at least one of those nine?

Don't know what to make of the Stephenson stories but if we pick him I'll assume we've done our due diligence on his medical condition ... and I'll be rapt.

Coming around to the idea of Bonar at 9, but 2 acl’s as a junior is a concern considering we already have 3 on the list who have had multiple acl’s already

Coming around to the idea of Bonar at 9, but 2 acl’s as a junior is a concern considering we already have 3 on the list who have had multiple acl’s already
My understanding is that the first ACL op didn't work so it had to be done again, so maybe not that bad. Doesn't scream Menzel or Clay Smith to me.
If he had no ACL history he'd probably go top 5. Still might.

My understanding is that the first ACL op didn't work so it had to be done again, so maybe not that bad. Doesn't scream Menzel or Clay Smith to me.
If he had no ACL history he'd probably go top 5. Still might.
It's still fibres taken from hamstrings at an early age. Future soft tissue is my worry, not so much knee recurrence (which is obviously somewhat of a concern also).

mail and i fully expect Saints to take him
Saints have Australia's best Cardio Sports surgeon all over it and 2 days ago were still undecided.
They definitely want him.
RE Coffield: My Saints contact tells me that he might not be a Saint but he's sure he won't be a Bulldog

CHARLIE Ballard wasn’t considered good enough to make Sturt's under-18 squad last year.

Then he sprouted wings.

The teenager grew and grew and grew.

In the space of two years — from ages 15 to 17 — Ballard transformed from a small midfielder to a giant one.

He shot up by an amazing 15.5cm to currently stand at 195.5cm and believes he hasn’t peaked.

Suddenly an AFL dream that appeared to be just that is close to becoming a reality.

Ballard, who had never made a state football team until this year, came from the clouds to be one of just eight South Australians to earn invitations to the AFL Draft Combine in Melbourne.
And he is in contention to be a shock top-30 selection at next week’s AFL national draft.

“He’s now in every conversation I have with AFL clubs,’’ SANFL high performance manager Brenton Phillips said.

“They all want information on where he’s come from and how he’s progressed and I'm sure he’ll be right in the (top-30) mix when the names are called out on draft night.

1977fb79dc9b67cd33664ff9f3f65440

Sturt AFL draft prospect Charlie Ballard at Unley Oval.
“One of the unique things about Charlie — and something that excites AFL clubs — is that he has retained the ground-ball skills that he had as a smaller player and now that he’s got some height he’s become very proficient overhead.

“He can play in various positions but I really like him off a wing because of his capacity to run and the fact that a teammate can kick the ball to him and expect him to outmark his opponent.’’

Ballard, 18, finds hit hard to fathom just how far he has come in a short period.

He was involved with Sturt’s under-16 side in 2015 but was overlooked for its under-18 side last year as a bottom-age player.

Then came his remarkable growth spurt and some strong performances for Sacred Heart College that rekindled the Double Blues’ interest.

“It’s been a bit of a whirlwind ride for me,’’ Ballard said.

“I’ve certainly exceeded my expectations because last year I wasn’t even playing at Sturt.

“My goal at the start of this year was to just to play an under-18 game for the club and to be able to establish myself there.

“So to play state under-18s and get invited to the draft combine, well, I never thought I would get to this point.’’

85845b90482257e44c08c17c2ccd603d

Charlie Ballard in action for Sturt.
Ballard was one of the Croweaters’ best players in the AFL under-18 championships, averaging 18 disposals and four marks on a wing.

Quick and skilful, he finished the season strongly, joining fellow Sturt draft prospects Jordan Houlahan and Mitch Crowden in playing in the club’s under-18 and reserves premiership teams.

Key utility Ballard, who is lightly-built at 82kg and admits he had trouble “adjusting’’ to his suddenly-longer frame in Year 11, likes playing as a wingman but he also is highly-regarded as an intercept defender and leading forward.

As a forward he models his game on just-retired St Kilda champion Nick Riewoldt.

“I guess that’s the big question about me, where I’ll play,’’ he said.

“People have different opinions but I’d like to develop as a midfielder while also having the capacity to play back and forward.

“Clubs are looking for versatility these days so hopefully that works in my favour.’’
Ballard looks great - I see a lot of rangey potential there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah, saints will take coff and JS. That Hawks deal last yr looks even better for them now.
Sounds like they'll take Hunter Clark if JS doesn't get the tick from the saints medicos.

Nah, saints will take coff and JS. That Hawks deal last yr looks even better for them now.
Yeah something really weird would have to happen in the top 6 for Saints to pass on Coff. I’d like Naughton to be off the board before pick 9 to see how we react.

After the many weeks of analysis and meticulous player-by-player research does everyone still agree this is a shallow draft?
I’ll get back to you in 5-7 years. What annoys me every year though is all these players get talked up but not many seem to talk about their downsides. I’d like a more balanced talk.

After the many weeks of analysis and meticulous player-by-player research does everyone still agree this is a shallow draft?

I never agreed with it. I liked the depth in this draft and wanted us to have a couple more picks in the 20-30 range. I wasn't in favour of trading up to pick 16 especially after we used three 2nd rounders to get the pick.

If that's first pick it might be Naughton

But if he means both 9 and 16 maybe speed and skills?

It would’ve been good if he got interviewed by Nat Edwards and Twomey who would’ve focused on the draft rather than Matt Thompson and that other muppet who wanted to talk about everything but

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back