List Mgmt. 2017 Draft Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who are they? It seems to me the commentators are seldom called to account after the event. They sprout their stuff to sell papers/clicks and move on. Most people quickly forget they were utterly wrong.
Recruiters do the same do you think they are somehow unaware
of the success rates of various types of players when taken in
the top 20 picks of the draft, they all know and it is visible in
the safety of their picks and fair enough too.

Just watched a couple of 'highlights' packages for Naughton. Yikes. If those are highlights, I'm officially worried. His kicking is horrendous and with that action, he will never effectively kick on the run.

I trust Dal but wow he must have something huge in mind for him to justify this.

Cordy is at least just has an ugly motion, he generally hits targets. If Naughton fancies himself a rebounding tall then he really needs to work on his kicking.

Don't like Naughton at all - and not because of any assessment of him or his ability as a player etc. Just because top 10 picks are worth their weight in gold, and it's where you need to select game-changer midfielders and forwards, not defenders.

Sydney built the league's best defence the last two years and their back 6 or 7 were virtually all rookie selections, some of which included mature agers and converted forwards.

To build a gun ball movement or winning team, you need raw talent that shows itself as an u/18 player. To built a gun defence, you need fantastic structures, and how can you tell how well an 18 year old fits into the structures of 5 years time that haven't even tactically evolved yet? The fact that Sydney doesn't need top draft picks to build a gun defence proves that you simply can't predict defensive ability as well as attacking ability when a kid is 18. Take midfielders or forwards with your top 10 pick thanks.

Save yourself the embarrassment of having to admit to being mistaken later. Think of the commenters who to this day are not allowed to forget that they wanted Aish before Bont, Scharenberg before McRae. Think how they have to publicly acknowledge their error every time they offer an opinion. You do not want this to happen to you with Naughton.

Get on board! Toot! Toot!
Umm, sweetie?

Sydney built the league's best defence the last two years and their back 6 or 7 were virtually all rookie selections, some of which included mature agers and converted forwards.
Forget Sydney - our Premiership back six had a third rounder (Wood), 3 rookies (Morris, Boyd & JJ) a DFA (Hamling) and a PSD pick (Roberts).
Next in line for a spot in the side was either Suckling (rookie, FA signing) or Jong (rookie).

Unless you're getting a Lever (who was a pick 14 anyway) I don't see the point in choosing a defender who has a questionable kicking action with pick 9 when we're flush for tall defenders and desperately need class in the forward half and quality ball users in the side (and preferably a mid with pace).

If we are going for a "need" I don't think naughton is what we need so im going to assume pace and skills is what we go for

I hear Naughton gets compared to Rance.

Bearing that in mind, I'd like to issue a humble reminder that Rance was once the worst kick in the competition.

Save yourself the embarrassment of having to admit to being mistaken later. Think of the commenters who to this day are not allowed to forget that they wanted Aish before Bont, Scharenberg before McRae. Think how they have to publicly acknowledge their error every time they offer an opinion. You do not want this to happen to you with Naughton.
Scharenberg was the Aish/Bontempelli draft.

The Bont at least filled a position of need and his highlights included a one handed mark with his feet on another kid's head. Naughton may turn out to be good but that kicking action worries me.

Don't like Naughton at all - and not because of any assessment of him or his ability as a player etc. Just because top 10 picks are worth their weight in gold, and it's where you need to select game-changer midfielders and forwards, not defenders.

To build a gun ball movement or winning team, you need raw talent that shows itself as an u/18 player. To built a gun defence, you need fantastic structures, and how can you tell how well an 18 year old fits into the structures of 5 years time that haven't even tactically evolved yet? The fact that Sydney doesn't need top draft picks to build a gun defence proves that you simply can't predict defensive ability as well as attacking ability when a kid is 18. Take midfielders or forwards with your top 10 pick thanks.
Yep. 2016 premiership kpd's... Morris, Roberts, Hamling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Forget Sydney - our Premiership back six had a third rounder (Wood), 3 rookies (Morris, Boyd & JJ) a DFA (Hamling) and a PSD pick (Roberts).
Next in line for a spot in the side was either Suckling (rookie, FA signing) or Jong (rookie).

Unless you're getting a Lever (who was a pick 14 anyway) I don't see the point in choosing a defender who has a questionable kicking action with pick 9 when we're flush for tall defenders and desperately need class in the forward half and quality ball users in the side (and preferably a mid with pace).
Was making a point for the best defensive team in the competition, no just a premiership team which wasn't necessarily the best defensive team - your point is still valid anyway, yep, no need to draft defenders with pick 9

Well Naughton looks accurate af in his highlights :p even if it is weirdly ugly. Can anyone whose seen more of him tell us if he usually is accurate?

Scharenberg was the Aish/Bontempelli draft.

The Bont at least filled a position of need and his highlights included a one handed mark with his feet on another kid's head. Naughton may turn out to be good but that kicking action worries me.

Naughton has highlights too and having watched Wood, Morris, Biggs and Cordy having to stand in week after week as KPBs in 2017 and having watched how much more development Young needs and how Roberts and Collins were repeatedly overlooked and how Morris is in his last season...I would say Naughton fills a need.

His kicking is fine. He is not one sided and on his natural left has an effective scything action that results in bullet like passes and long bombs to position. Think Suckling but not taking an eternity with the wind up and the ball drop. To be more precise, Naughton's kicking style is a combination of Clay Smith and Suckling. Not pretty, but effective and powerful.

Naughton Train...Toot! Toot!

Weitering says "hello"

I reckon it's great that none of us has any real idea as to who we will pick. I like that we don't leak at this time of year.

Last edited:
Weitering says "hello"
Weitering who is a genuine swingman and quality ball user who played a lot of his time forward this year?

Naughton's marking ability looks elite, his kicking looks loopy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back