Game Day 2017 draft discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

According to Knightmare's mock draft...

43 Hawthorn - Ben Miller
Height, Weight:
196cm, 98kg
Summary Profile: Athletic key forward who starred at the draft combine in the 20m sprint and agility testing. Clean at ground level and plays with composure.

Would be happy if this eventuated to be honest, seems like the kind of player we need.

This kid looks the exact type of player Hawthorn would take. Left footer, with footskills and a nice sidestep.

Knightmare is adamant that we need to draft a tall forward, but IMO this is the wrong draft to do it. We already have Mitchell Lewis as a project player, and with our returning players (along with Gunners and perhaps Burto going forward) O'Brien/Shoey/Vickery could all become forward depth. While it is true that Roughead is coming to the twilight of his career, he probably has another 2-3 years left - enough time to bring in a forward via trade/free agency or hit a stronger draft where high calibre players will be available at later selections (2018). Ben Miller is talented athletically but I agree with Abasi in that he reminds me of Grimley.

Going off Knightmare's supposed selections (I'd love Clavarino) Jackson Ross or Will Walker at 43 would be more likely. Hopefully Guelfi at 68 and Roughsedge at 71 though there's probably some obscure player Wrighty has set his sights on.

Knightmare is adamant that we need to draft a tall forward, but IMO this is the wrong draft to do it. We already have Mitchell Lewis as a project player, and with our returning players (along with Gunners and perhaps Burto going forward) O'Brien/Shoey/Vickery could all become forward depth. While it is true that Roughead is coming to the twilight of his career, he probably has another 2-3 years left - enough time to bring in a forward via trade/free agency or hit a stronger draft where high calibre players will be available at later selections (2018). Ben Miller is talented athletically but I agree with Abasi in that he reminds me of Grimley.

Going off Knightmare's supposed selections (I'd love Clavarino) Jackson Ross or Will Walker at 43 would be more likely. Hopefully Guelfi at 68 and Roughsedge at 71 though there's probably some obscure player Wrighty has set his sights on.

Pick 99: Hodge Gibson ;)

This kid looks the exact type of player Hawthorn would take. Left footer, with footskills and a nice sidestep.

Yes please bring into being.
So nice to see a highlights package that includes a players unmistakable ability to give off the ball to crystal clear advantage.
Very very nice foot and hand skills, not afraid to back himself in a marking contest, and that most useful of athletic advantages - knowing what's around you and having the sidestep ability to make people miss.
Take that over straight line running ANY day of the week.

People who suggest we draft a tall forward should be Lynched

I don't see Ryleys place in a Hawthorn premiership team. He has a great left foot. Yes. But he is slight and not tall. HB is no good, he does not have the power for a HF, or the speed as a forward pocket. Riley needs massive work.

Sam Mitchell once said his junior coach told him to kick on his right to make the practice perfect. Sam decided to kick on his left to make himself better. This kid needs to find a way to be better in just about every way to be afl level. He has a good base. But needs to become an inside mid IMO. And he is a few years from that.

Last edited:
Only want to target and draft a player at pick 73 that goes on to be an out and out gun, three time premiership play and all Australian, just so the stats knobs in the media just keep rolling out the line "who would have thought that when player X was taken a pick 73 that he would be this good" hearing this every other week over a twelve year career will never get old.
Let's make it happen, can't be that hard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't see Ryleys place in a Hawthorn premiership team. He has a great left foot. Yes. But he is slight and not tall. HB is no good, he does not have the power for a HF, or the speed as a forward pocket. Riley needs massive work.

Sam Mitchell once said his junior coach told him to kick on his right to make the practice perfect. Sam decided to kick on his left to make himself better. This kid needs to find a way to be better in just about every way to be afl level. He has a good base. But needs to become an inside mid IMO. And he is a few years from that.
We have Pick 43, not pick 3.

It’s about what is available, and what we can work with.

Yes please... But no amount of longing will get him to our pick 43.

Would be a dream get but I doubt he will last to our first pick.

Plenty of mock drafts have him dropping past our 1st pick. Going through the phantom draft board, only one major player has him higher than our first pick in their power rankings. Could even be there at our 2nd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back