Game Day 2017 draft discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

According to Knightmare's mock draft...

43 Hawthorn - Ben Miller
Height, Weight:
196cm, 98kg
Summary Profile: Athletic key forward who starred at the draft combine in the 20m sprint and agility testing. Clean at ground level and plays with composure.

Would be happy if this eventuated to be honest, seems like the kind of player we need.
Nice find Baz-hawk. Ben certainly can move. His highlights have him as a ruckman / forward but his speed off the mark (20m sprint of 2.91), height (196) and weight (93) seem perfect for the full back role. He is also good below his knees, has neat skills and doesn't seem to panic. Looks a solid late pick.

Aside: I know this is supposed to be a weak draft but the more I look the larger the number of viable late picks seem to be. It is a perfect hunting ground for GW and our recruiters and emphasises just how smart the decision was to trade away our early picks in this draft for known quality players.

Last edited:

Starting to see what some have said about the Hawks feeling like there are some gems in this draft.

Hope this kid is on the radar at #43.

A poster on the draft board thinks that although he's been played as a fwd (196cm) his best position might be as an inside mid.

This footage looks fantastic.

Quick, agile, tough and skilled.

He's #24.

Yeah apparently is slow as treacle.

Brian Lake was far from quick either and look how good he was at intercept marking.

Could do a lot worse then another Lake.
Too right.

That said, have you seen Jordan Butt's highlights? They are not on Youtube but can be found on the AFL site at:
http://www.afl.com.au/draft/draft-machine

He is 196cm but moves like a midfielder. Forget his marks, watch his feet. He takes small steps when he does not have a lot of room ensuring that he has the time to kick before being closed down.

And my 9 years old son loves his name. :) There is advertising gold here... if Sir Mix-a-lot gives his permission.

Last edited:
Starting to see what some have said about the Hawks feeling like there are some gems in this draft.

A poster on the draft board thinks that although he's been played as a fwd (196cm) his best position might be as an inside mid.

He's #24.

Gee he looked very good in that video.

I can see why people see him as inside mid.

Got some tricks, tackles and chases hard.

Very good left peg.

196cm inside mid would be a nightmare match up.

Too right.

That said, have you seen Jordan Butt's highlights? They are not on Youtube but can be found on the AFL site at:

He is 196cm but moves like a midfielder. Forget his marks, watch his feet. He takes small steps when he does not have a lot of room ensuing that he has the time to kick before being closed down.

And my 9 years old son loves his name. :) There is advertising gold here... if Sir Mix-a-lot gives his permission.

Could not find his video from your link?

He's #24.

sven_inc, any idea on the league he is playing in?
Could not find his video from your link?
The link takes you too an AFL search engine with BIO's and Videos of most 2017 draft prospects. Go underneath the area on the left that talks about CHOOSE DRAFT POSITION, then CHOOSE DRAFT RANGE and then see SEARCH BY NAME. Put your Butt in there...

sven_inc, any idea on the league he is playing in?

The link takes you too an AFL search engine with BIO's and Videos of most 2017 draft prospects. Go underneath the area on the left that talks about CHOOSE DRAFT POSITION, then CHOOSE DRAFT RANGE and then see SEARCH BY NAME. Put your Butt in there...

Yeah did that but no luck. Anyway as you said just get him for the name.

He's #24.

Not only can the kid play, but taking it up to the New World Order....credit where it’s due.

Seriously though. Kid looks seriously electric and unlike other highlights videos of possible draftees, it’s all from one game.

Draft central has him siting at 36 in their player ratings.

#38 Nathan KREUGER
Tall Utility (South Adelaide/South Australia)
25/06/1999 | 195.7cm | 88.9kg

Scouting notes: A raw talent who has had some incredible moments over the last 12 months. His work in the South Australian trials were good last year and early this year. Can play as a tall at either end, but most excitingly moves well athletically enough to play as a flanker. Uses the ball well off his left foot and there are some moments that get you really excited about this kid. Can play through the midfield but showed his strength up forward for South Australia in the National Under 18 Championships.

Strengths: Agility, strength, marking, versatile
Improvements: Raw, skills, consistency

Combine test results: 20m Sprint (secs) 3.03 | Agility (secs) 8.21 | Yo-Yo Test (level) 20.4

Last edited:
Not only can the kid play, but taking it up to the New World Order....credit where it’s due.

Seriously though. Kid looks seriously electric and unlike other highlights videos of possible draftees, it’s all from one game.

#38 Nathan KREUGER

Scouting notes: A raw talent who has had some incredible moments over the last 12 months. His work in the South Australian trials were good last year and early this year. Can play as a tall at either end, but most excitingly moves well athletically enough to play as a flanker. Uses the ball well off his left foot and there are some moments that get you really excited about this kid. Can play through the midfield but showed his strength up forward for South Australia in the National Under 18 Championships.

Combine test results: 20m Sprint (secs) 3.03 | Agility (secs) 8.21 | Yo-Yo Test (level) 20.4
Checked a few Phantoms and he'll probably go 30-42...

Still one to keep an eye on. Most seem to recognise he's got some very exciting traits but whether it be injury or being moved around position-wise too much or personal things he's slightly under the radar.

Even though the consensus is a poor draft id hope we can better our output from last year!

Checked a few Phantoms and he'll probably go 30-42...

Still one to keep an eye on. Most seem to recognise he's got some very exciting traits but whether it be injury or being moved around position-wise too much or personal things he's slightly under the radar.

Even though the consensus is a poor draft id hope we can better our output from last year!
always a couple that slide and a couple that bolt, you never know

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's #24.

Nat Fyfe anyone??

For those who haven't seen it have a look at the article/highlights on the AFL website today featuring Noah Answerth.

I have no doubt we are looking at him very very closely.

Will still be available at 43 for sure and I would be more then happy to take him with our 1st pick although we may even be able to get him at our 2nd pick.

If it wasnt for his freak injury this year he would have been taken in the 1st 2 rounds.

What do others think?

For those who haven't seen it have a look at the article/highlights on the AFL website today featuring Noah Answerth.

I have no doubt we are looking at him very very closely.

Will still be available at 43 for sure and I would be more then happy to take him with our 1st pick although we may even be able to get him at our 2nd pick.

If it wasnt for his freak injury this year he would have been taken in the 1st 2 rounds.

What do others think?
Looks impressive, something to work with! Another flanker though, not a pressing need.

Too right.

He is 196cm but moves like a midfielder. Forget his marks, watch his feet. He takes small steps when he does not have a lot of room ensuring that he has the time to kick before being closed down.

Couldn’t get the video to load but I have seen Jordan play a couple of times this season, he would be a long term project as he is quite slight in build. He is quite rangy as well. Tested in the bottom 13% at the combine in the 20m sprint but he was in the top 60% in the agility run. Guys often have better straight line speed as opposed to directional speed - your comments about the small steps would help in a test such as the agility tests as it would help him change direction quickly. He also faired quite well in the vertical jump (top 73% and 76% in the running vertical jump on his left and right respectively).

His skills are a little scratchy from my observations but he is capable of taking a mark.

Not sure he is a guy that is likely to be taken as early as 43, I think that his best bet is later in the draft or as a possible rookie list. Interesting to see where he ends up if he gets picked up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#38 Nathan KREUGER

Is it fanciful to think he could slip to us? Seems an ideal addition and has the tools to work with to become valuable at either end as a senior footballer. Has OK speed, but you can work on that, I like him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back