2017 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I heard this as well. Hayes'draft range is 10-20 and I highly doubt that clubs with picks in the top 11 will draft him.

I did mentioned before about trading picks 12 & 18 for picks 5 and 40.
That leaves us with 1, 5, 19*, 40 & 41.
Importantly it gives us 2 picks in the top 5 and gives us only one pick (compo pick 19) to deal with Adelaide for Cameron.
It also allows Freo to draft Hayes with pick 12 and use pick 18 in trades with other clubs to acquire the players their linked to (Wilson, Matera, etc).
Tiges?

That's what I was thinking, would t that effectively free up your pick 18 to draft who you want and still get Ballenden.

And it also gives you say pick 20 in 2018 in a supposedly deep draft.

Could also be pick 23 or 24.

We would rather keep 12 for the same reason you want it -some very good talent around that part of the draft. Also we're hoping to upgrade to another top 10 pick.

I might have this incorrect but say ballenden gets bid on at 14, won't you simply have to match the points value minus the discount? Couldn't pick 21 and say pick 53 make up the value allowing u to keep 18. Plus gain a potential top 20 pick next year.
Sorry dude but you need to have a read up on the academy points and bidding system. You cant choose which picks you use to match. The next pick gets used, if it's not enough to match it takes the next pick and so on and so on.

I might have this incorrect but say ballenden gets bid on at 14, won't you simply have to match the points value minus the discount? Couldn't pick 21 and say pick 53 make up the value allowing u to keep 18. Plus gain a potential top 20 pick next year.
You don't understand the bidding and matching process do you.

Teams MUST use their next available pick or combination of picks to match a bid.

So if a bid comes in at pick 15, we have to use pick 18.

You can not save pick 18 and use later picks.

I can understand you're not up to speed with the nuances of draft trades and academy bidding requirements and tactics.

If you want a fair trade, we'll trade you our 2017 (pick 18) & 2018 second round picks for your 2018 first round pick.

You don't need your 2018 first round pick as you'll lose it matching a bid on Tarryn Thomas anyway. May as well get something extra out of it.

How about you trade us pick 21 and we won't force you to roll on Shabbos?

I can understand you're not up to speed with the nuances of draft trades and academy bidding requirements and tactics.

If you want a fair trade, we'll trade you our 2017 (pick 18) & 2018 second round picks for your 2018 first round pick.

You don't need your 2018 first round pick as you'll lose it matching a bid on Tarryn Thomas anyway. May as well get something extra out of it.

North should be bottom 3 next year so obviously we won't have to match on Thomas. That was the whole point of my suggestion, getting rid of our second next year so that when we do match on Thomas it's with (hopefully) a plethora of third rounders

Playing Devils advocate here. With most clubs only playing one genuine ruckman atm and the game being all about pressure at ground level - taking into consideration our stockpile of developing talls, why would we automatically match a bid for Ballenden at pick 19?
The game is now about playing competitive, mobile, adaptable and relatively skilful players. Nothing against Ballenden but it is my view that we have his type covered and are still short on quality mid/flanker types.

Playing Devils advocate here. With most clubs only playing one genuine ruckman atm and the game being all about pressure at ground level - taking into consideration our stockpile of developing talls, why would we automatically match a bid for Ballenden at pick 19?
The game is now about playing competitive, mobile, adaptable and relatively skilful players. Nothing against Ballenden but it is my view that we have his type covered and are still short on quality mid/flanker types.

We don't know if he's a ruckman yet, he's been played all over the ground excelling in all areas at times without any real consistency. He's a Queenslander, he has great skills and he has a heck of a lot of promise. A late first rounder seems like a more than fair price to pay. If we're lucky we've traded up and only have to match with our remaining later picks.

In a time of F/A and player movement, more than it has ever been, keeping the Good Qlders on our list is paramount. He has shown enough to warrant a pick in the top 20 and we should get a couple of picks before he is bid on and we can get 2 good quality mids.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

North should be bottom 3 next year so obviously we won't have to match on Thomas. That was the whole point of my suggestion, getting rid of our second next year so that when we do match on Thomas it's with (hopefully) a plethora of third rounders
Can't do that anymore. You only have as many draft picks as you have list spots. The rest get removed before the draft. So you can't have 3 list spots and use 6 picks to match the points.

Dow Pick 1
Bonar for our 2nd pick in draft
Lochie OBrien - from Dow’s TAC team pick 3
Charlie Cameron pick 19
Ballenden with points collected along the trade swapping system
Payne same way even if we deficit points next year as not a Academy year in 2018 for us by the look of things.
Hodge last pick we hold
Sambono hope for Rookie pick

Off goes Bewick
& Paparone for 3 -4 th round picks
Close? Possibly

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Noble's interview beginning of last week indicated that Hodge was likely to be pick 1 in the PSD, as we would need the list spot for academy points bidding purposes. Trading him in will reduce our picks available, which will reduce our points. Picking him up in ND runs risks. Hence why Noble said PSD.

Another rule of the draft, is now you can only take as many picks as you have open list spots.

You can no longer bank multiple picks, more than you have list spots, to match a bid.

So if you want use multiple third round picks, go right ahead.

What will happen is that, say you use 3 third round picks, they will match the bid and then be shuffled to the end of the draft order, and you will then have to use 2 picks in the 80's to fill out your remaining draft (list) spots.

Another rule of the draft, is now you can only take as many picks as you have open list spots.

You can no longer bank multiple picks, more than you have list spots, to match a bid.

So if you want use multiple third round picks, go right ahead.

What will happen is that, say you use 3 third round picks, they will match the bid and then be shuffled to the end of the draft order, and you will then have to use 2 picks in the 80's to fill out your remaining draft (list) spots.

Thanks

We might also be after bailey scott and Crocker, which makes that hard I guess.

Can those extra picks in the 80's be used for upgrading rookies?

Just saying the talk didn't start with one journalist. It reportedly started amongst the Vic Metro U18 squad and spread from there.No journalist can legitimately report it, because no kid is going to go on record, so it remains as rumour and speculation.
Rayner has never said publicly that he doesn't want to head to QLD. It become public from his manager making vague off the record comments about him not moving interstate. Even before the on the record article came out saying he was happy to move interstate I had heard he wasn't too fussed where he ended up.
Having said that, and after being an earlier pusher for him to be drafted with #1, I've now changed to UDL. Rayner might end up the better player in the long term but UDL is more what we need to continue building around.

Rayner has never said publicly that he doesn't want to head to QLD. It become public from his manager making vague off the record comments about him not moving interstate. Even before the on the record article came out saying he was happy to move interstate I had heard he wasn't too fussed where he ended up.
Having said that, and after being an earlier pusher for him to be drafted with #1, I've now changed to UDL. Rayner might end up the better player in the long term but UDL is more what we need to continue building around.
No draftee has ever said publicly that they didn't want go to a specific team but in meetings, interviews or via managers it has been said e.g. Wingard and GWS.

Anybody else keen on Lochie O'Brien with pick 18/19?

Seems like he could be that scully/isaac smith/stephen or brad hill type that we sorely lack.

Excellent raking left foot, good hnds on the lead and overhead and a good tank.
We don't seem to have anyone like that on our list and bewick/cutler types probably aren't up to scratch.

I think we potentially have enough outside classy types for now. On O'Brien, I have serious question marks over him.

has anyone seen Bonar play? getting alot of love for a rd1 pick due to a standing vertical and decent 20m sprint..
Im not against him but would be great to see if he can actually play..

has anyone seen Bonar play? getting alot of love for a rd1 pick due to a standing vertical and decent 20m sprint..
Im not against him but would be great to see if he can actually play..

He won a few fans with his All Stars game before the Grand Final. The combine results along with missed time suggest there's a lot of potential growth there. If he's drafted early it'll be on that but I'd love him at 12 if we keep it. He seems to be really talked up as a chance at 8 with the Saints now though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back