2017 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

"Ve vant Charlie Cameron, Adelaide. Ve'll cut off your JOHNSON!"

preview.jpg

Thanks

We might also be after bailey scott and Crocker, which makes that hard I guess.

Can those extra picks in the 80's be used for upgrading rookies?
If you have the list spots available, yes!
Actually I am not sure about that, as rookie upgrades are done before the draft with your late picks. They are just not read out on draft night.

I'm only guessing, but I'm going to guess no.

Playing Devils advocate here. With most clubs only playing one genuine ruckman atm and the game being all about pressure at ground level - taking into consideration our stockpile of developing talls, why would we automatically match a bid for Ballenden at pick 19?
The game is now about playing competitive, mobile, adaptable and relatively skilful players. Nothing against Ballenden but it is my view that we have his type covered and are still short on quality mid/flanker types.
If we don't draft Ballenden, what happens if Schache doesn't come on or requests a trade in 2 years time? Some say that Ballenden is a better fit structurally than Schache to work alongside Hipwood as well. We'd be silly not to match IMO.

Rayner has never said publicly that he doesn't want to head to QLD. It become public from his manager making vague off the record comments about him not moving interstate. Even before the on the record article came out saying he was happy to move interstate I had heard he wasn't too fussed where he ended up.
Having said that, and after being an earlier pusher for him to be drafted with #1, I've now changed to UDL. Rayner might end up the better player in the long term but UDL is more what we need to continue building around.
Nothing wrong with a UDL mate ;)
93140_0_9999_med_v1_m56577569855283269.png

He won a few fans with his All Stars game before the Grand Final. The combine results along with missed time suggest there's a lot of potential growth there. If he's drafted early it'll be on that but I'd love him at 12 if we keep it. He seems to be really talked up as a chance at 8 with the Saints now though.
Not unlike Fyfe but not like Fyfe

If we lose Schache I wonder if we'd have a more serious look at Allen or Fogarty to play as a third tall in the forward line with a pick between 12 and 19

If we lose Schache I wonder if we'd have a more serious look at Allen or Fogarty to play as a third tall in the forward line with a pick between 12 and 19
I would be against it, mids mids mids for me and we have Connor Ballenden as a straight up replacement for Schache.

I would be against it, mids mids mids for me and we have Connor Ballenden as a straight up replacement for Schache.

We'd still add at least 2 in addition to the 4-5 we've drafted in the last 2 drafts.

Fogarty I would definitely have a look at. Different type of player to Hipwood and Ballenden. Mids are our focus but we will be taking one with pick 1 and another you would expect with another pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we can manage one of Rayner/LDU/Dow + bonar + Allen as the more mobile Tom Lynch roll + academy boys in ballendon and Payne - stick a fork in me Jerry, I'm done...

If we can manage one of Rayner/LDU/Dow + bonar + Allen as the more mobile Tom Lynch roll + academy boys in ballendon and Payne - stick a fork in me Jerry, I'm done...
You've got to think bigger than that. Pick 1 - LDU, Pick 2 (Rocky compo) - Dow, Pick 4 (part of Carlton/Schache trade) - Brayshaw then add Ballenden and Payne and also Cameron trade. See, now that's how to dream big

Re-sign Close, draft Ballenden. Hammelmann in 2s.

It's tempting. While mids are our #1 priority, a forward line of Ballenden, Hipwood, Fogarty as 2 talls and a medium forward could cause havoc for 10 years.

You've got to think bigger than that. Pick 1 - LDU, Pick 2 (Rocky compo) - Dow, Pick 4 (part of Carlton/Schache trade) - Brayshaw then add Ballenden and Payne and also Cameron trade. See, now that's how to dream big
It's a nightmare if u wake up without A. Bonar

Remove this Banner Ad

Back