2017 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Based solely on highlights videos, I like Rayner too. Looks explosive and really has something about him. Talent wise there doesn't look like there's a risk there. Looks so confident and with a strut.

There's nothing to say any of the other top draft prospects are certainties to stay here either. Things like said player used to support the Lions or similar arguments don't hold much sway with me. There's every chance someone like Rayner, who comes across as pretty confident, might really enjoy the lifestyle here and make friends quickly and be more than happy to stay on. I don't want this club to base every draft pick on who they think is more likely to stay, rather than just picking the best talent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we all groupthunk the Rayner homesickness issue into existence in many ways. Me included.

I'm well and truly on board if the club is.

Would definitely be exciting.

I think we all groupthunk the Rayner homesickness issue into existence in many ways. Me included.

I'm well and truly on board if the club is.

Would definitely be exciting.

Yep, I think we can groupthink the go home factor for any potential draftee.

If they sound anything other than really enthusiastic about being a Lion, we get paranoid about it.

On the other hand, if they DO sound keen, we can tend toward a cynical "Well, he would say that " attitude.

I think if there is a clear #1 talent available we just have to take him rather than jump at shadows

Cupido??

Where did you pull that comparison?

Mercurial match-winning half-forward, questions on defensive side of game, cocky, poor endurance. Dunno, when I've watched him it just reminded me of him a bit.

I have had enough of the "Go with Vic Country instead of Vic Metro" talk. Firstly, Josh Schache was from country victoria. Secondly, his father played with Bears. Thirdly, he wanted to come to the Lions. Lastly, left us for the western bulldogs for pick 25 & 40. We go screwed anyway. Just saying. :thumbsdownemoji:

Last edited:
My concerns with Rayner are nothing to do with the 'go home' factor but more to do with his professionalism or lack thereof. Here is a kid who has been in the very best training programs that the country can provide and the lack of improvement in his endurance is a massive concern. Rumours are also that he likes to party and don't get me wrong I remember enjoying myself as a 17/18 yr old as well. There was also a comment about the skin folds at the draft combine being quite high for this crop of draftees, he doesn't look trim. It was also commented in one of his school games that he absolutely squibbed it and a number of recruiters were there and weren't impressed. His football ability is obvious however the standards required for AFL are an absolute jump in standards that are required. Look at Aaron Francis who has struggled to grasp the professionalism required. Clubs do their absolute due diligence and track these kids for 2/3 yrs prior to their draft year especially those up the pointy end and think that this will be the difference with who we take. There has been no 'noise' about Dow and the only knock on LDU is that he likes to surf.

Ok this is my last whinge about the trade period. The thing that really pisses me off is the fact that clubs around us (Carlton and Freo) really strengthened their draft position in this draft and even the Suns were able to strengthen their draft position in next years draft. I am glad that CC has come but if we waited one year we wouldn't have paid such a high price and 12/18/20/Schache could have been used to really push up. Two top 10 picks would have been awesome and this is evident when you look at what Freo/Saints/Carlton will be able to bring in with their top ten picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back