2017 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...t/news-story/a05bfd76a9574a7462069d50948b7260

BRISBANE LIONS

Gary Buckenara says: The Lions have some good key position players coming through but you can never have too many on your list so I’d be targeting two more young talls — one (potentially academy prospect Connor Ballanden) for up forward and one in defence. They also need ruck back-up for Stefan Martin as Archie Smith is the only other genuine ruckman on the senior list.

The other type of player Brisbane could use more of are rebound defenders with good kicking skills. I think in time Cedric Cox could become that type of player because he provides outside pace and skill but the Lions do need more players with those attributes.

DRAFT PICKS: 1, 15, 18, 40, 44, 52

More ruckmen and back flankers :rolleyes:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...t/news-story/a05bfd76a9574a7462069d50948b7260

BRISBANE LIONS

Gary Buckenara says: The Lions have some good key position players coming through but you can never have too many on your list so I’d be targeting two more young talls — one (potentially academy prospect Connor Ballanden) for up forward and one in defence. They also need ruck back-up for Stefan Martin as Archie Smith is the only other genuine ruckman on the senior list.

The other type of player Brisbane could use more of are rebound defenders with good kicking skills. I think in time Cedric Cox could become that type of player because he provides outside pace and skill but the Lions do need more players with those attributes.

Buckenara and Terry Wallet should stick to being known as premiership Hawks players from the 80’s cause they don’t know anything about drafting, trading and club lists.

BRISBANE LIONS

Not much research going on, I think he's getting a gig based on past exploits.

Hes never heard of Oscar McInerney or that Ballenden could end up a ruck/fwd option or Matty Eagles. oh and no mention of mids, I'm with you jack:rolleyes:.

Not much research going on, I think he's getting a gig based on past exploits.

Hes never heard of Oscar McInerney or that Ballenden could end up a ruck/fwd option or Matty Eagles. oh and no mention of mids, I'm with you jack:rolleyes:.
not to forget Payne either.

Hey guys - sorry for the intrusion - what’s Michael Close like?

Delisted obviously. Word is he is training at the Hawks
He is an aerobic beast for a big man but doesn't seem to use it to advantage on game day, he drops marks he should take and has been unlucky with injury (ACL) I still think he has potential to be a serviceable player at AFL level, he is worth a go as a KPD IMO. Still only 23 years of age, give him a year on the rookie list you could be pleasantly surprised.

He is an aerobic beast for a big man but doesn't seem to use it to advantage on game day, he drops marks he should take and has been unlucky with injury (ACL) I still think he has potential to be a serviceable player at AFL level, he is worth a go as a KPD IMO. Still only 23 years of age, give him a year on the rookie list you could be pleasantly surprised.
Cheers for the info. Good luck next year - Hodge and Fagan together will be turn you guys around I reckon. Brissy will surprise a few next year

Turning circle of the Titanic but can run all day... just doesn't do it though. Tries to out body opponents instead of working them over but gets pushed around too easily. Is probably 2 or 3 years off having the body to compete at AFL level with his play style. Hit and miss with his marks and I don't think I've seen him take an overhead mark before... much prefers the chest mark. I think he does have some tools but really needs to work to his strengths and change a few things/add a few more strings to his bow. Worthy of a rookie punt but don't expect much IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Horrified by that Rayner time, with a week to go to the draft I'm now at:
Andrew Brayshaw
Lachlan Fogarty
Lochie OBrien
Connor Ballendon
Jack Payne
Hamish Brayshaw

Would be very happy with that and while extremely unlikely it is somewhat in the realms of possibility
I wonder what the chances are of Melbourne taking Hamish Brayshaw with an eye on luring Andrew back home in a few years?

Hi guys!

With his NT origins/no go home factor do you think Zac Bailey is a very good chance for you at 18? I really want him to the Eagles at 21

Cheers :)
Reports from list manager recently suggests we will be looking for a mix of midfielders at picks 15/18. I reckon it's a good chance if our preferred targets are taken before our picks. IMO.

Hi guys!

With his NT origins/no go home factor do you think Zac Bailey is a very good chance for you at 18? I really want him to the Eagles at 21

Cheers :)
He certainly has some fans here including myself. Depends on who is available at 18 but I certainly hope he is considered. Alot of potential

I wonder what the chances are of Melbourne taking Hamish Brayshaw with an eye on luring Andrew back home in a few years?

I've wondered the same thing. The only part that gives me comfort is they would likely need to take him at 47, which may be too early with other talent on the board....but certainly a real possibility

Last edited:

Probably going to end up a mirror of how Jordan Lisle was for us. Hard working, good kid, but just a fraction below the level.

He was the best of our delisted tall fowards this year (better form than Freeman, Hammelmann and Schache). As others have said, he really covers the ground, competes and at 196 has the body to take a mark or bring it to ground. I think the biggest knock on him is his kicking penetration...struggles to kick accurately from 40 m and can't from 50. But is accurate passing it off to leading targets. Better than Lisle, if you can improve his kicking you have a player imo.

Have just watched Vic Metro v Vic Country first half, because I'm sick of the biased view you get from highlights. Of the midfielders, I'm most impressed with James Worpel who is and under and does the one percenters. More impressive than Dow and LDU on the same side. I know there's a query on his kicking, but he does hit targets on a no of occasions. Lachlan Fogarty involved in a number of goals & goal assists and works hard. Gryan Miers kicks a beauty at pace under pressure and is impressive. Would be happy with Worpel, Fogarty or Miers at 18. Don't see why there's so much love for Constable.

On another note, Rayner is really over-hyped by commentators and although his goals are competitive, he doesn't scream x factor to me. Will watch his 2nd half with interest, because he kicks all his goals in the first half.

Does anyone know if the Allies v Vic Metro game is available anywhere? Would think the AFL could put up more than one whole game from the champs.

Just cant settle on who I want us to draft this year. Have been on the Dow, LDU and Raynor train at various points but each of them have question marks. Dow seemed like a great fit until possible retention issues where raised. LDU ticks a lot of boxes but I just cant get past the fact he failed to impress at the u18 carnival and questions have been raised about his desire. Raynor is no chance now for mine after his time trial effort.
Warming now to Brayshaw based on the fact he does everything well and was a standout in the interviews. It does concern me that he has come from being rated somewhere between 6-12 while everyone was still actually playing footy to first pick calculations all of a sudden.
For pick 15 I am really hoping either Bonar, Clarke or even Higgins slip. Im not sold on Cameron (makes Jarred Jansen look like Dayne Zorko) and think its a bit early for the likes of Murphy or Bailey. Clarke or Bonar would be good fits at the club in my view, while we might have enough smaller fwd/mids already to steer away from Higgins. However if he made it to 15 we should probably pounce.
For pick 18 I think it really depends on what we have already taken at 1 and 15. If we have two genuine mids we might be prepared to look at an outside type in O'Brien or Ling. If we have taken two fwd/ mids then I think we will go for competitive mid like Bailey or Murphy. The third option here is to jump on Allen or Brander if they are still on the board. The club doesnt have that type of player on our list.

1. Brayshaw
15/18 Clarke, Bonar, Higgins, O'Brien, Ling, Murphy, Bailey, Allen, Brander

3rd quarter Vic metro v Vic country. Miers very impressive again, in everything, more impressive than Rayner in this game. Can see why he kicked seven in TAC GF. Would be worth going early for him at 18, if we get 2 midfielders @ 1 & 15 Dow also impressive as a midfielder. Worpel consistent in his attack on ball and run. Clark some great moments coming off half back. LDU missing.

Garner is another player who seems around the mark at 18, who can play, cool head, good ball use.

Have just watched Vic Metro v Vic Country first half, because I'm sick of the biased view you get from highlights. Of the midfielders, I'm most impressed with James Worpel who is and under and does the one percenters. More impressive than Dow and LDU on the same side. I know there's a query on his kicking, but he does hit targets on a no of occasions. Lachlan Fogarty involved in a number of goals & goal assists and works hard. Gryan Miers kicks a beauty at pace under pressure and is impressive. Would be happy with Worpel, Fogarty or Miers at 18. Don't see why there's so much love for Constable.

On another note, Rayner is really over-hyped by commentators and although his goals are competitive, he doesn't scream x factor to me. Will watch his 2nd half with interest, because he kicks all his goals in the first half.

Does anyone know if the Allies v Vic Metro game is available anywhere? Would think the AFL could put up more than one whole game from the champs.
Hooray another Worpel fan.

Worpel is a pure in and under mid. But is faster and has the stamina Mathieson doesn’t.

If he has that extra half a second, he can hit his targets. It’s just that like many pure inside mids, his kicks are often rushed.

In regards to the Vic Country midfield, they had a glut of pure inside mids with Worpel, Parrish, LDU, Dow and to lesser Walsh. LDU played more outside because Worpel and Parrish are pure inside mids, and didn’t impact as much as his early school games and late TAC cup matches.

Hooray another Worpel fan.

Worpel is a pure in and under mid. But is faster and has the stamina Mathieson doesn’t.

If he has that extra half a second, he can hit his targets. It’s just that like many pure inside mids, his kicks are often rushed.

In regards to the Vic Country midfield, they had a glut of pure inside mids with Worpel, Parrish, LDU, Dow and to lesser Walsh. LDU played more outside because Worpel and Parrish are pure inside mids, and didn’t impact as much as his early school games and late TAC cup matches.
Yeah, I think you had him at 18 (from memory) in your top 20. I think he would be a good selection at 18, a competitive beast who is a potential upgrade on Matho, especially if we take Brayshaw at one. He has grunt and admittedly Berry has that, but we could have two of them. I really don't understand why he has slipped so much... the standout midfielder in an elite group in that game.

Dow is the other one who impresses and competes and uses his speed. I don't get why there's a go home issue when he's from Swan Hill.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back