2017 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Dow is the other one who impresses and competes and uses his speed. I don't get why there's a go home issue when he's from Swan Hill.

Not necessarily specifically re Dow but 'go home' is sometimes used as a catch all for various flight risks eg a player whose self worth/self image is parcelled up with the Melb footy cultural fishbowl ... or who is extremely money focused and knows they can get more money during post career at a big Melb club ... or who is extremely fond of female groupies and there are more of them (AFL wise) there ... or who is focussing on a media career ... and most of those are not going to be affected by a few years in Brisbane (as opposed to not wanting to leave home turning into happily independent and enjoying the 'space' being interstate brings or deciding that you prefer one woman over multiple females etc).

I'm trying not to get attached to any names in particular in the lead up to the draft (confident I'll fail though :)). My main hope is that we use at least 2 of our first 3 picks on mids that can win their own footy. Yes I'd like to avoid turnover merchants in that, but as much as anything we just need to get our hands on the ball more and the contested part of our game has been poor for a long time.

Yeah, I think you had him at 18 (from memory) in your top 20. I think he would be a good selection at 18, a competitive beast who is a potential upgrade on Matho, especially if we take Brayshaw at one. He has grunt and admittedly Berry has that, but we could have two of them. I really don't understand why he has slipped so much... the standout midfielder in an elite group in that game.

Dow is the other one who impresses and competes and uses his speed. I don't get why there's a go home issue when he's from Swan Hill.
He doesn't have the agility of the top mids. Doesn't have the projected ceiling of the "known" quantities, and doesn't have the perceived potential of some of the bolters. He's much more developed and ready to go, so had an advantage over many of the undeveloped bodies running around the TAC cup and U18 Champs.

If still available, would be happy to put money on one of Richards or Ling being a Lion next year.
Ed Richards is very impressive and would be a good choice at 15 or 18, especially if long term we have plans to send Witho into the midfield. He has the pace off half back we could use and will be a very good AFL player imo. Ling seems much too set on Geelong from his video, hope we don’t take him.

Ed Richards is very impressive and would be a good choice at 15 or 18, especially if long term we have plans to send Witho into the midfield. He has the pace off half back we could use and will be a very good AFL player imo. Ling seems much too set on Geelong from his video, hope we don’t take him.
I reckon he has go home written all over him. Dogs are keen on him apparently, but after gazing into the crystal ball I think GWS will take the risk at 11.

I reckon he has go home written all over him. Dogs are keen on him apparently, but after gazing into the crystal ball I think GWS will take the risk at 11.
You could be right, just looking at the range of players who could be around at 15 and 18. If GWS take him then someone else will slide, which is great for us.

Is he not Collingwood Royalty.

With talk that we are once again looking to draft players with pre-existing relationships. (Rayner told us he wants to play with Fogarty) I hope that Conole and the club are aware that Brayshaw and Constable are best mates. 15 might be a stretch, but 18 seems like a good pick for Constable.

Not that I can see it happening but imagine if Stephenson slid to our pick 15 due to his heart condition? Now that I’ve put some hopium out there imagine if he was taken at pick 12, melts everywhere.

With talk that we are once again looking to draft players with pre-existing relationships. (Rayner told us he wants to play with Fogarty) I hope that Conole and the club are aware that Brayshaw and Constable are best mates. 15 might be a stretch, but 18 seems like a good pick for Constable.

Perhaps ring the club just to be sure if it is really playing on your mind. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not that I can see it happening but imagine if Stephenson slid to our pick 15 due to his heart condition? Now that I’ve put some hopium out there imagine if he was taken at pick 12, melts everywhere.
That would be awesome, I have seen a bit of talk on the DT&FA board that he could slide but not quite that far as you say.

Dream Scenario- Rayner, Stephenson, Bonar. Talk about serious X factor and upside or we could go the seemingly safer option in- Brayshaw, Fogarty, Bailey.

They are poles apart but I would be happy with either trio. Which trio would you take if you could sign on now?

That would be awesome, I have seen a bit of talk on the DT&FA board that he could slide but not quite that far as you say.

Dream Scenario- Rayner, Stephenson, Bonar. Talk about serious X factor and upside or we could go the seemingly safer option in- Brayshaw, Fogarty, Bailey.

They are poles apart but I would be happy with either trio. Which trio would you take if you could sign on now?

Brayshaw then Stephenson/Bonar

Brayshaw, Higgins, Bonar/Fogarty?

Out of those three or my own?
LDU - best pure mid
L. Fogarty - plays midfield TACCUP and tackles.....a lot
O’Brien - can’t understand how he’s fallen so far. Contested numbers in champs was low but were ok in TACCUP. Had a better underage year but so did Berry. His left foot is deadly.

Just on the x-factor I think that people get blinded by a bit of freaky play and think that that player can pull it off every time. Don’t get me wrong it helps to have a player like that but there are only a few players in the comp and there aren’t really any that I can see in this draft. Next years however :cool:

brayshaw, higgins. Been keen on higgins all the way. And a genuine hard nut, was real keen on powel pepper last year so someone like him would be great. Does anyone in this draft fit that bill.

Rayner told us who he wants selected with our picks? Really?
Was it on Twotter chirped by a twitter?

Some people are getting their hopes up lol.

Imagine if we went:

Pick 1: Rayner
Pick 15: Brayshaw
Pick 18: Stephenson

All dropping as they state in the media and interviews they ONLY want to play for the Lions.

Some people are getting their hopes up lol.

Imagine if we went:

Pick 1: Rayner
Pick 15: Brayshaw
Pick 18: Stephenson

All dropping as they state in the media and interviews they ONLY want to play for the Lions.

Queue trigger for investigation into draft manipulation and AFL House stepping in to allow them to go anywhere but Brisbane 'for the integrity of the competition'...

Higgins is interesting. He's left school and has more or less made footy his full time job this year, which suggests he will have less physical development in him than others who had other responsibilities. I just don't see the upside in him at all TBH.
Also, he's short and slow. He's mini Rockliff, even according to Champion Data.

Nope, was mentioned by the Champion Data dude in their video on the Champion Data top 30 on the Hun website.

By the sounds of it we were explicitly asking about who they're friends with, and that was a name he brought up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back