2017 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we are crying out for our own Bontempelli/Cripps/Oliver. A young, big bodied, gun mid capable of stepping up from day 1 as a marquee player who performs to a high standard on a consistent basis.

Perhaps he is already starting in our midfield and signed an extention last week!

However I understand the sentiment, we are still very short on young midfield talent.

At the end of todays episode of Road to the Draft, Twomey asked Mick Ablett the question if the AFL academy talks to the players about the possibility of moving and playing interstate, specifically in light of the Schache saga unfolding in Brisbane.

Ablett said that they do talk to the kids, that the AFL is now a national competition, and if kids are going to put their name in the draft, they have to be willing move.

They also briefly talked about high draft picks should be signing a longer first contract.

Ablett also said that some of the highly rated kids in last years draft told clubs they didn't want to move interstate and told clubs directly not to draft them.

Interestingly I asked Twomey on twitter last night if LDU would be a flight risk and linked the article where he said he wanted to stay in Melbourne. Twomey said he wouldn't be worried about LDU being a flight risk.

It's ridiculous that draftees who tell clubs not to draft them aren't disqualified from the draft. Instead they get stories about how "courageous" they were.

Anyone not to busy before lunch today, Cal Twomey is having a live chat session about this years draft. If you want to ask some questions, follow the link.

I'll be at work and unable to jump on. :( But if anyone does jump on, my number one question would be, which top, top midfield prospects would NOT represent a potential flight risk if Brisbane were to draft them with the number one pick? Second question, where does Cal rate James Worpel at this early stage of the season?

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-05-18/live-chat-your-questions-for-draft-guru-cal-twomey

Anyone not to busy before lunch today, Cal Twomey is having a live chat session about this years draft. If you want to ask some questions, follow the link.

I'll be at work and unable to jump on. :( But if anyone does jump on, my number one question would be, which top, top midfield prospects would NOT represent a potential flight risk if Brisbane were to draft them with the number one pick? Second question, where does Cal rate James Worpel at this early stage of the season?

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-05-18/live-chat-your-questions-for-draft-guru-cal-twomey
I asked about using the Port pick for Academy bidding. A bit off the topic of the discussion so might not get through the moderators, we now how painful those guys are.

Obviously football ability will play a big part but I reckon there will be of an even bigger of an emphasis around personality types now IMO. No more mummy boys, loner type or figjams. Why can't we just take a break from this s***!

It's ridiculous that draftees who tell clubs not to draft them aren't disqualified from the draft. Instead they get stories about how "courageous" they were.

Club chooses you in the draft and you say, "No" - Two years ineligibility for AFL.
Club expresses interest in you and you say, "No" - No repercussions, go wherever you want

I went and watched Darcy fogarty live tonight. He didn't do a lot, played mostly forward which isn't really his go.

But he is a massive unit, plenty of bulk on him already for a teenager. Powell pepper like in size.

I had trouble finding him for a quarter cos he blended in with the men.

Very interested in how he goes in the carnivals against his own age in his preferred positions.

Liam Ryan with another 4 goals in the WAFL. Increases his tally to 33 goals from 9 games. Not sure if he has the required fitness for the top level or if he is a flight risk but from a talent standpoint he is exactly what we're crying out for.

According to some posters on the D&T board regarding school footy stats Luke Davies-Uniacke had 44 disposals and Cameron Rayner had 34 disposals and kicked 3 goals over the weekend.

Really looking forward to watching these two come the U18 carnival.

With Schache going do we look at Brander or are we covered with Ballenden? I think it's KM that has him as the number 1 pick and he's a key forward who can also excel as a KPD.

With Schache going do we look at Brander or are we covered with Ballenden? I think it's KM that has him as the number 1 pick and he's a key forward who can also excel as a KPD.
If we keep pick one, and Schache leaves, I'd be very keen on Darcy Fogarty, a mobile third tall/contested mid type. And match a bid on Ballenden as a KPF/Ruck when it comes.

We should be able to pick up an inside mid and either a quality small forward or HBF/Wingman with speed with our other first round and early second round picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we keep pick one, and Schache leaves, I'd be very keen on Darcy Fogarty, a mobile third tall/contested mid type. And match a bid on Ballenden as a KPF/Ruck when it comes.

We should be able to pick up an inside mid and either a quality small forward or HBF/Wingman with speed with our other first round and early second round picks.
If Schache leaves and with the addition of Ballenden then I wouldn't be looking at Brander. There's along way to go and with our most probable pick one it'll be interesting to see which way we go and who marks themselves as that number one pick. I would also lean towards Fogarty and as raised by others Schachn/Hipwood/Ballenden forward line seems overly tall, lacks agility/speed and think that Hipwood/Fogarty/Ballenden would be a better set up.

Now these are just my thoughts but I would love to see Brander stamp himself as that no1 pick. I feel for GWS but I can see more players leaving and think that they're not afraid to trade up to get what they want as seen by last year and think that they want Brander back. If Rocky was to leave and we got pick 2 (purely hypothetical) then I would be looking to attack this draft by making some swaps back using pick 1. Let's not discredit Freo either with their situation with Fyfe. If he leaves he won't be doing it via free agency it will be a trade and if it is to the Saints they also have Hawks and their own so there is another possible suitor. All of this lies with Rocky leaving and getting the best remuneration that you can and also for Brander to stamp himself.

If Schache leaves and with the addition of Ballenden then I wouldn't be looking at Brander. There's along way to go and with our most probable pick one it'll be interesting to see which way we go and who marks themselves as that number one pick. I would also lean towards Fogarty and as raised by others Schachn/Hipwood/Ballenden forward line seems overly tall, lacks agility/speed and think that Hipwood/Fogarty/Ballenden would be a better set up.

Now these are just my thoughts but I would love to see Brander stamp himself as that no1 pick. I feel for GWS but I can see more players leaving and think that they're not afraid to trade up to get what they want as seen by last year and think that they want Brander back. If Rocky was to leave and we got pick 2 (purely hypothetical) then I would be looking to attack this draft by making some swaps back using pick 1. Let's not discredit Freo either with their situation with Fyfe. If he leaves he won't be doing it via free agency it will be a trade and if it is to the Saints they also have Hawks and their own so there is another possible suitor. All of this lies with Rocky leaving and getting the best remuneration that you can and also for Brander to stamp himself.
If Rocky leaves the Saints are the ones that probably need him most....if they dont get Fyfe. But I would be careful about Fyfe, he is an empire builder, he likes to build his own Fyfedom.

I will show myself out.

Like it jj, another possibility if Brander is a consensus number 1 and the giants want him it would give us the opportunity to maybe trade pick 1 to GWS for a couple of players eg. 2 of Hopper/Kennedy/Coniglio. Although I would give pick 1 for Coniglio alone. Lot of scenarios possible with pick 1.

Like it jj, another possibility if Brander is a consensus number 1 and the giants want him it would give us the opportunity to maybe trade pick 1 to GWS for a couple of players eg. 2 of Hopper/Kennedy/Coniglio. Although I would give pick 1 for Coniglio alone. Lot of scenarios possible with pick 1.
I read all this over on trade and free agency but I just don't see it happening, not at this stage yet anyway.

I just don't see any of the GWS players wanting to come to Brisbane.

I just don't see any of the GWS players wanting to come to Brisbane.
You are probably right, can't blame an old fella for dreaming, I want to witness another flag or 2 before I depart this mortal coil.

Would love us to pull of a huge Buddy like coup and get an elite 21-23 year old in the door eg. Josh Kelly, Orazio Fantasia, Zach Merrett, Toby Greene, Stephen Coniglio, Darcy Parish etc. As you say though, unlikely.

Can't believe we could have had Clayton Oliver who was a Lions supporter and we ended up with Schache.
Oliver came from practically nowhere and his numbers through the TACCUP couldn't be ignored but we were crying out for a top rated KPF. We should feel blessed that Hipwood also has shown some signs, Ballenden will hopefully be as good as we need him to be and whoever we get instead of Schache turns out to be an all time great and attains the holy trinity (a 300 game, premierships, Norm Smith and Brownlow medalist player)

Oliver came from practically nowhere and his numbers through the TACCUP couldn't be ignored but we were crying out for a top rated KPF. We should feel blessed that Hipwood also has shown some signs, Ballenden will hopefully be as good as we need him to be and whoever we get instead of Schache turns out to be an all time great and attains the holy trinity (a 300 game, premierships, Norm Smith and Brownlow medalist player)

Yeah I know was having a little dig at Dylan12.

Schache was the obvious choice and the safest of all bets. No one could have predicted this would happen but like you said we have Hipwood and hopefully what we get for Schache we can turn into some much needed midfield depth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back