2017 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Would there be an element of choosing not to potentially damage a potential trading relationship with another team for the sake of a 6 point movement in the third round? Or of not wanting to be 'that club' especially with all clubs having F/S options and their own version of Academies?
[said tongue in cheek] yes, like other clubs normally trade favourably with us.

Woa, Bailey Scott is gonna be exhausted by the end of the week, training at three different clubs. Geelong, Gold Coast and North. Whoever's done the organizing at AFL house deserves a medal for this arrangement.

I don't believe that would have been the case with Watson last year.

It was discussed by those of us who follow the draft, after the trade period, that we were unlikely to match a bid on Allison or Watson last year before pick 43 because we didn't have the points to cover a bid.

As for the topic, this is the third time I have tried to generate a discussion on it. It was part of my discussion when I first joined and was talking list building strategy after the 2015 draft, and again in the lead up to the trade period in 2016.

Two of my posts on draft night from 2016.

I loved Watson and very much wanted him last year but at the end of the day when he was selected in the second round without us having the accumulated points we had to pass. He would have cost us a top 20 pick this year (admittedly we would have just dropped down but still) given the points would have been attributed to our second rounder this year.

I was in the room last year and didn't notice North table but surely they had done the sums.

I loved Watson and very much wanted him last year but at the end of the day when he was selected in the second round without us having the accumulated points we had to pass. He would have cost us a top 20 pick this year (admittedly we would have just dropped down but still) given the points would have been attributed to our second rounder this year.

I was in the room last year and didn't notice North table but surely they had done the sums.

How has he progressed down there?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just on our draft. I only watched a few of the foxtel televised games but the 2 players who stood out for me as tough competitors were Starce and Bailey. They were the 2 players I hoped we selected due to how hard they were. Couldn't believe it when we picked them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back